Taking Notes

style
tags
notes
textediting
lists

Most of your time in Agenda will be spent creating and editing notes. In this section, we cover some of the most important aspects of taking notes in the app.

Adding Notes

To create a new note in the selected project…

1. Click/tap the large yellow + button at top-right of the notes list.
  2. Enter a title for the note, and press return.
  3. If you wish to set a date for the note, click/tap the calendar button top-right on the note.
  4. Start editing the note text.

To create a note when no single project is selected…

1. Click/tap the large yellow + button at top-right of the notes list.
  2. Choose the project you want the note added to.
  3. Continue editing as before.

Deleting Notes

To delete an existing note on macOS…

1. Select the note by clicking it at the top.
  2. Press ← or select Edit > Delete
  3. If prompted, confirm the deletion.

To delete an existing note on iOS…

1. Tap the cog button at the bottom of the note.
  2. Choose Delete Note

Note: you can undo the deletion if you wish, and the note will reappear. On iOS, shake the device to undo.

Moving Notes

To change the order of notes on macOS…

1. Select the notes you want to drag by clicking their title bar at the top. (Hold SHIFT or CMD to click and select multiple notes.)
  2. Drag one of the selected notes by the title bar at the top of the note.
  3. Drop it in the list where you want the note to move to (indicated by the orange line).

To change the order of notes on iOS…

1. Tap-and-hold at the top of the note until it pops up.
  2. Drag it up or down to the new location in the list.

Note: you may be prompted about removing dates on the notes when you move them. This is to keep the dates consistent with the list order. You can choose to cancel the move, or remove the dates from the dragged notes.

To move notes to another project…

1. Select the notes you want to drag by clicking their title bar at the top. (Hold SHIFT or CMD to click and select multiple notes.)
  2. Drag one of the selected notes by the title bar at the top of the note.
  3. Drop it in the destination project.

Pinning Notes

To pin a note to the top of its project on macOS…

1. Select the notes you want to pin to the top.
  2. Choose Note > Pin to Top (_CMD + SHIFT + K)

Alternatively drag the note to the top of the project and Agenda will ask if you’d like to Pin the note.

pinned@2x.

To pin a note to the top on iOS…

1. Double tap the orange dot top-left on the note to bring up the options.
  2. Select Pin to Top.

Note: Pinning of notes is a premium feature

To unpin a note and move it back to its original position on macOS…

1. Select the notes you want to unpin from the top.
  2. Choose Note > Unpin from Top (_CMD + SHIFT + K)

To unpin on iOS…

1. Double tap the orange dot top-left on the note.
  2. Choose Unpin from Top in the menu.

Collapsing Notes

There are times when you don’t need to see all of the content in a note, and just want to hide it to better utilize your space.

To collapse a note, you can just double click the title bar at the top of the note. To expand a collapsed note, double click it again, or click the three dots button.

On iOS, you can also pinch inwards over the note to collapse it, and pinch out to expand.

Setting Dates

You can apply dates or ranges of dates to your notes. Dates are used for ordering, but can also be used in searches.

To set the date on a note…

1. Select the note by clicking or tapping on it.
  2. Click/tap the calendar button top-right on the note.
  3. On macOS, click a date, or drag across a range.
  4. On iOS, tap a date, or tap-hold-and-drag to select a range.
  5. You can also use the Preset button to choose common dates like “Today”.
  6. Click the Save button.

Learn more: Everything about dates and events you can find in this article.

Styled Text vs Rich Text

The Agenda editor works with styled text. Unlike rich text, you don’t set the fonts and appearance characteristics directly yourself. Instead you add styles to the text, such as a heading level or list style, to convey the intent of the text. Agenda takes the styles you choose, and updates the appearance to make things look attractive and consistent.

There are a few advantages of styled text…

• It can be presented in an attractive and consistent way.
  • It is easier to edit than rich text, because you don’t have to worry about the appearance yourself.
  • It can be very easily converted to and from other styled text formats like Markdown and HTML.

Adding Paragraph Styles (e.g. Heading)

Many styles are added to a particular paragraph. For example, you could have a paragraph of text that is the heading of the text. You could give that paragraph the Heading style. The following paragraphs contain paragraphs of text with the default Body style.

There are several ways you can apply paragraph styles to text. On macOS, you can…

• Change the style of the selected text by choosing an item in the Format > Style menu.
  • Access the Style menu by clicking the cog button bottom-right on the note.
  • Select the note, hover the cursor over a paragraph, and click the round button on the left. Use the popover that appears to choose a style.
  • Right click on the selected text and choose a style in the contextual menu that appears.
  • If you use Markdown shortcuts, the style will change automatically when you enter certain text. For example, if you start the line with “# Shopping List”, the text will be styled as a Heading due to the # symbol at the beginning.

Screenshot: Two of the ways how you can apply paragraph styles, through the style inspector popover or the cog button.

On iOS, you can…

• Change the paragraph style of the selected text using the bar above the keyboard.
  • If you use Markdown shortcuts, the style will change automatically when you enter certain text. For example, if you start the line with “# Shopping List”, the text will be styled as a Heading due to the # symbol at the beginning.

Adding Inline Styles (e.g. Bold and Italic)

In addition to paragraph level styles, there are also styles that are just applied to a part of the paragraph. For example, you could make a few of the words bold or italic. We call these inline styles.

Just as for paragraph styles, you can apply inline styles in a variety of ways. On macOS, you can…

• Select the text, and choose an option from the Format menu, such as Bold or Italic.
  • Select the text, and click the cog button bottom-right on the note, and select a style in the menu.
  • Select the text and right click to choose a style in the menu.
  • Use a markdown shortcut, such as entering “_Shopping List_” if you want the text “Shopping List” to be italicized.

On iOS you can…

• Change the inline style of the selected text using the bar above the keyboard.
  • Use a markdown shortcut, such as entering “_Shopping List_” if you want the text “Shopping List” to be italicized.

Indentation

Several of the paragraph styles support indentation levels, including body text and list styles. To increase the indentation, on macOS you can…

• Type a Tab.
  • Choose the menu item Format > Indentation > Increase
  • Use the keyboard shortcut CMD + ]
  • Click the cog button and choose Indentation > Increase

Decreasing indentation is similar. You can…

• Type SHIFT + Tab.
  • Choose the menu item Format > Indentation > Decrease
  • Use the keyboard shortcut CMD + [
  • Click the cog button and choose Indentation > Decrease

Tip: Indentation can especially be useful in combination with one of the list styles.

On iOS, you control indentation using the controls above the keyboard.

Markdown Shortcuts

The Agenda editor supports a variety of Markdown shortcuts to apply styles to text content. For example, if you type **try this**, the text will become bold. You can also use Markdown shortcuts to apply paragraph styles like lists, or insert URLs.

Learn more: A list of all the shortcuts can be found in the Markdown Cheatsheet below.

Keboard Shortcut for Checklist (tasks)
Deleting notes, projects & categories? ( iOS)

Markdown Cheatsheet

Agenda is not a markdown editor, but it does recognize some markdown syntax for applying styles. Here are markdown shortcuts that can be used.

Separate Notes

If you are importing a markdown file, you can have it split into individual notes in Agenda.

Splitting notes does not work in the Agenda text editor: it’s only for importing files.

Note Separator

To have a file split into multiple notes, type three hyphens alone on a line.
E.g.
First note
---
Second note

This will create two different notes, the first with content “First note”, and the second with content “Second note”.

Paragraph Styles

The following styles change the appearance of the entire paragraph.

Heading

Use 1-6 hash symbols at the beginning of the line, followed by a space. The heading level is given by the number of hashes.
E.g.
### Sample
produces a third level heading.

Dash List

Begin a line with a hyphen to make a dash list item.
E.g.
- Sample
produces a dash list item.

Check List

Begin a line with a hyphen followed by a opening square bracket and a closing square bracket. Inserting an “x” between the two brackets creates a checked item.
E.g.
-[ ] Sample
produces a check list item.

-[x] Sample
produces a checked item.

The hyphen is optional, so you can also create a checkbox just using two square brackets.

Preformatted

For content that works best in a fixed width font, such as computer code, you can apply the preformatted style. There is no text shortcut to produce this style; instead, you can use the Format menu or the keyboard shortcut.

Inline Styles

These styles are used inside of paragraphs to change text appearance.

Italic

Enclosing in underscores or asterisks gives italic styling.
E.g. _sample_ or *sample* produces sample

Bold

Enclosing in double underscores or double asterisks gives bold styling.
E.g. __sample__ or **sample** produces sample

Strikethrough

Enclosing in double tildes gives strikethrough styling.
E.g. ~~sample~~ produces sample

Fixed Width (Monospaced)

For some content, such as computer source code, it is preferable to have fixed width text. For blocks of text, it is best to use the Preformatted paragraph style. For inline text, you can enclose in back ticks.
E.g. `sample` produces sample

Info

Some styles are not related to the meaning of the text, but are used to delineate informational elements such as tags. These can also be entered using markdown-like syntax.

Tags

To enter a tag, just use a # symbol, followed by the tag. The tag cannot contain spaces.
E.g. Type #giraffes to create a tag called “giraffes”.

Tags can also contain a parameter in parentheses. For example, #due(12/12/2018)

People Tags

Agenda recognizes a second type of tag reserved for individuals (people). You can enter a name or initials to refer to a friend or colleague. Just enter a @ symbol in front of the text.
E.g. Enter @Tom to create a person tag for someone called “Tom”.

Links

Links are automatically recognized in text, but you can also add them with markdown syntax. Use square brackets to enclose the text that is displayed, followed by parentheses enclosing the link URL.
E.g. If you type [Agenda](agenda.com) you create a link to agenda.com attached to the text “Agenda”.

Question, suggestions and issue
Fill Project with Markdown file
Using NotePlan with Agenda

Is there a way to create a Note that is NOT associated with a project?

I’d like to use agenda to capture general notes associated with a meeting / calendar event, but that Note is not part of a specific project. I’ve used DayOne for this in the past as DayOne does a nice job of making it easy to capture notes that are automatically associated with context like date, weather, location, etc.

I get I can create a generic project names ‘Other’ to capture these notes, but that feels klunky…

No, you can’t create a standalone note at this point. I suggest indeed just having a “Scratch” project. That’s what I do.

Drew

Beyond creating a standalone note within Agenda, I use TextEdit extensively to track notes about things I’m working on. The ability to create an Agenda note from anywhere within macOS so I can start using Agenda instead of TextEdit would be great.

We are hoping to support a status item for quick note entry at some point.

Hey all! New to this app…is there a way to undo the above Italic Styling? I am a SQL coder and underscores are a way of life in this realm! I document heavily using field names, which can contain several underscore characters, in my notes, and I came across this app to see if I can digitize my notes instead of walking around with a book and a pen all the time. I’ve already tried the CMD+Z but it didn’t help. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

When it comes to code, I recommend using the preformatted paragraph style, or the fixed-width inline style. Both will avoid any markdown parsing.

You can use back ticks (`) around inline code to achieve the fixed width styling.

Drew

Thank you!!! Worked perfectly!

I was trying to type some code in a preformatted style line, and my double quotation mark was substituted with a smart quote. Is there a way to disable that?

You can the off various substitutions in the edit menu. That is fairly standard in Mac apps.

Drew

Will you be supporting the imbedding of images within notes?

With the iOS version out of the way, this is now our top priority, see The features we are working on right now…

Fantastic! Thanks. I just got a new iPad and am awaiting cool features like images and pen support.

A post was split to a new topic: Word count

A post was split to a new topic: Note location