The notes you take in Agenda are grouped together in projects, and appear in a timeline. Projects appear on the left, in the source list. You can create new projects and assign them to your categories (e.g. Work, Home).
Creating a Project
You can create a new project by…
- Using the File menu and choosing New Project…
- Clicking the + button bottom-left in the Window.
If you use the + button, you are presented with a popover menu.
- Choose New Project from the menu.
- Select a category to add the new project to.
- Type in a name for the project, and press enter.
Moving a Project
To move a project to a different category…
- Click and drag the project.
- Drop it in the destination category.
Renaming a Project
To rename a project…
- Select the project by clicking on it.
- Click again on the project name.
- Enter the new name and press enter.
Deleting a Project
To delete a project…
- Select it.
- Press backspace.
- When prompted, choose to delete the project.
Note that deleting a project cannot be undone.
Changing Project Appearance
Each project has an icon. The lines in the icon give a rough indication of how many notes are in the project.
A color can be set for each category, and each project in a category takes the color of the category for its icon.
To change the color of the project icons in a given category…
- Click the ellipses that appear when you hover the mouse over the title of the category.
- In the popover that appears, choose a color.
Categories offer a means of grouping together projects. For example, you might have a category for Travel, containing different projects for each vacation you are planning to take. For a business project, you might use different categories for your different areas of responsibility (e.g. Budget, Policy Meetings).
Creating a Category
To create a new category…
- Choose File > New Category…
- Click on the + button bottom-left in the window.
If you use the + button…
- Choose New Category in the menu that appears.
- Enter a title for the category.
- Choose a color for the category icons.
- Click the Create Category button.
Deleting a Category
To delete a category…
- Move the mouse over a category.
- Click the ellipses button that appears.
- In the popover, click the Delete Category button at the bottom.
OverviewsAgenda has a number of built in overviews that can make navigating your notes easier. These overviews are like searches that update automatically as you make changes. You can find the overviews in the source list on the left at the top.
On the Agenda
The On the Agenda overview is perhaps the most important. It shows any notes that have been flagged with the yellow dot button. When you are actively working on a note, or need to access it regularly, you can use the yellow dot to keep it “on the agenda”. To quickly find notes you are actively working with, you can go to the On the Agenda overview and see them listed there, where you can edit them directly.
The Today overview shows any note that has the current date, or has a date range that includes today. This is useful for quickly locating notes for events occurring today (e.g. a meeting), or are current, such as a conference you are attending over several days.
Whenever you perform a search using the magnifying glass button, you have the option to broaden it to search across all projects. When you do that, the Search All overview is selected.
You can also use the Search All overview for directly making a global search of your projects. Simply select it in the sidebars and enter your search terms.
You are not only restricted to the built in overviews that Agenda provides — you can create your own. You do this by saving a search you have made. Whenever you select the saved search overview, it shows an up-to-date list of notes, just as if you were searching again.
To create a saved search overview…
- Perform a search, using search terms and/or dates.
- Choose Save Search as Overview from the drop down menu.
- Enter a name for the overview item.
Saved Searches are a premium feature and only become available after purchasing a feature upgrade.