Opening projects in new windows

Comforting to hear that this is in the pipe. I just came back to beat the drum for this again because as I use Agenda more and more aggressively for project work, the itch has gotten stronger.

3 Likes

Need this feature. Just got off a series of 1:1s where I need to look at notes as I consolidate certain items from the individual 1:1. I have to click between notes constantly to do this. Ended up opening a textedit doc to take notes to paste into Agendaā€¦sure thatā€™s not a workflow you want.

1 Like

This is the single main reason why Agenda no longer features in my workflow, unfortunately. When youā€™re handling large quantities of information ā€“ and Agenda is predicated on the idea that youā€™re going to put most of your information in there eventually ā€“ you need to be able to view and correlate that information from multiple perspectives. But the multiple window option still isnā€™t there, even though users have been asking for it right from the startā€¦

Meanwhile you run the risk of losing users to new developments like Craft or NotePlan (two very different approaches with similar strengths, although Craft isnā€™t integrated with Apple Calendar/Remindersā€¦ yet!). Both of them allow you to open as many windows as you like.

1 Like

We hear you and as mentioned before, itā€™s on our wishlist for sure, top 10 material. Weā€™ll get to it but not before we have some other items completed first like tag autocompletion.

4 Likes

I just wanted to make the switch from Apple Notes to Agenda today after extensive tests, being enthusiastic about Agendaā€™s features but learned that separate windows are not possible currently with Agenda.
This could really be the killing argument against Agenda since having separate windows when needed is a significant part of my professional information mgmt workflow.
So hopefully this feature will be added very soon.

Iā€™m really looking forward to separate windows too. In the meantime as a workaround I have Agenda open on both my MacBook and my iPad and that works well. Being able to paste between the two is useful.

We have plans for opening a note in a separate window. Is quite high on our feature list, so hopefully not too long. Sorry for the delay.

4 Likes

Are there any news on this feature and using multiple windows? Iā€™m using Agenda since around a year, and for now it is on the top of my wishlist.

1 Like

With Agenda14 going into beta, this is now also for us in the top 3 of things weā€™d like to addā€¦

2 Likes

Any date to agenda 14 beta release?

See https://agenda.community/t/recruiting-test-pilots-for-agenda-14/86074

I recently installed the new (Version 14.0 (217) - Mac App Store) version. It seems that the feature to open a note in seprate window did not get in or Iā€™m failing to find how it work. Any hints are appreciated!

1 Like

I think this has been misinterpreted by some that multiple window support was part of Agenda 14, this is not the case. What I was saying is that with Agenda 14 out of the way, it has now become one of the top items on what we would like to add in one of the next updates. Thereā€™s no ETA yet, nor which version it will be definitely part of, just that it will come at some point.

1 Like

Where can one see the top features in your features list?

In Drew and my personal Agenda libraries :smiley: Itā€™s not a public list as we donā€™t believe in user voting when it comes to the best path towards a great product for users. Having said that, we do have a (non-exhaustive) list of top features weā€™d like to bring for sure at some point here: The features we are working on right nowā€¦

Hi guys, new Agenda user here. Loving it so far!
But, just like so many people has been pointing out the multiple windows functionality, I also would like this one. Top priority for sure!

I understand you just released the version 14 - how soon do you plan to release further versions, which could potentially include the multi-windows functionality?

Given that this thread started in 2017, so almost 5 years being requested, I was wondering if itā€™s a matter of months or years more until we get it working?

We have been working in parallel on Agenda 15, which will focus on collaboration. For the update after itā€™s currently a tight call between the multiple windows functionality and some other of the most requested items, we havenā€™t made our minds up yet. Realistically it will not be years, but will be a matter of at leasts a few months.

5 Likes

Iā€™d love to hear if there is a status update on this. Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

Itā€™s among the top 3 features weā€™ll pick from for the next releases.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t used Agenda in ages, but I keep the app installed and I bookmark this thread just in case it ever happens to get multi-window support. While I prefer Agenda to all the numerous competing note taking apps Iā€™ve tried, I just canā€™t integrate it into my workflow without multiple windows.

And, honestly, it seems like an odd design choice not to have a feature like this. Nearly every note taking app Iā€™ve used on the Mac supports multiple windows ā€” even Apple notes. So Iā€™d argue itā€™s almost expected functionality at this point. Heck, even Obsidian supports multiple / pop out windows for notes now (and Iā€™m under the impression that wasnā€™t easy since the app is built on Electron).