Opening projects in new windows

It’s never been a design choice not to include it. In fact, we have designs for this ready from a few years back.

The problem is not that we don’t want to do it, it is that there are plenty of other equally popular features, and we have to make choices.

The good news is that this feature is now very high on the priority list.

3 Likes

Understood and I’m glad to hear this feature might someday make it to the top of the list. I know a lot of premium features have been added since I let my subscription lapse, I guess I just thought something fundamental like being able to open a note in a new window might have higher priority than some of the things that we got instead.

But, then again, everyone has different workflows. And I know well-enough from hanging around in the Obsidian forums that some people never use multiple windows and can’t even understand why anyone would. So it’s entirely possible that while I think pop up windows are critical to the app’s functionality, plenty of people would rather be able to change the color of their tags instead.

Let me just weigh in here to support this.

Working on it for the next major upgrade.

4 Likes

I just had to realize that this feature is now implemented in a newer version but as I paid addon under subscription. I used to have a subscription license but did not extend it since I did not see appealing paid features coming. Now, the feature I explicitly asked for came after my subscription has expired. How do you think it makes me feel?.. I’m just puzzling about where I’m motivated more: 1) pay a one-year subscription to just get this feature or 2) spend time to move all my notes to another tool, most probably just Apple Notes, since this one is at least always coming with iOS and macOS…

A deeply disappointed user and former subscription customer…

I’m not following, this is the whole model of Agenda, i.e. you pay when you feel new features justify the purchase, and if you stop paying in contrast to almost all other apps you actually keep what you already have. Now that this feature is available and is something you seem to think it would be worth having, it would make sense to pay again wouldn’t it? As far as we are aware this kind of subscription “pause” is unique to Agenda, most other apps would have forced you to continue paying also in the period that nothing would have been added that you really find useful.

3 Likes

Yeah… I see… The actual point of my disappointment was the timing. At the time I found this theard, it was planned to come the next release which would be in the time of my subscription, but it did not come, my subscription ended, and how there is a new release which is not avialable for me. BTW, I now asked about Search on another thread. IMHO, Search is very rudimentary unless you use tags a lot and can memorise all tags you ever used. The last reply on that thread was one year ago saying that imprvements in Search are on the list, but not done yet… I’m lost and still disappointed even if your subscription policy is more generous than others…

Search is something we will focus on in the update after the Agenda 18, which will allow you to set a password to access your notes.

1 Like

I don’t think “asking for” a feature means its promised.

Listen, the huge advantage of the way Agenda does its licensing is that you get to keep forever features that were introduced while you were subscribed. Plenty of software these days is just rental-based, and becomes completely useless unless you pay in perpetuity. I for one am quite thankful that Agenda is using a much more ethical business model here, and I’m glad to support it as long as features, bug fixes and optimizations I want keep getting delivered.

You paid for whatever updates came out for a year, and you knew (or should have) the terms of that. It was totally transparent. Do you also complain when your Mac gets too old to run an OS update that does something you wish your Mac could do? I get that the timing here was unfortunate, but the developers can’t really help that.

1 Like

(I also use BusyCal, which I like a lot. Their model is not too different from yours. When you pay[1], you’re entitled to the current version plus any updates that come out for 18 months. At the end of that time, the version you own keeps working.)

[1] This is the case for their self-distributed version. The Mac App Store version is a plain old software rental.

The pay for updates model is used by a few apps. We certainly looked at it when coming up with ours. The problem we see there is that people can’t install bug fixes. With our model, you can always install the latest app version, whether or not you actually pay for a license. It’s nice knowing you can always say to someone “please update to the latest version, which has a fix in it”.

2 Likes