iOS Share extension plans?

Are there any plans to incorporate sharing from other apps to Agenda on iOS?

13 Likes

Yes, we have plans for share extensions.

Kind regards,
Drew

7 Likes

Ah, you might want to include Sharing to Agenda :wink: when trying to save something from this Forum that the user wants to view/accomplish later.

6 Likes

What is the status/timeframe of this? This is the one thing that is really keeping me from totally integrating Agenda into my daily workflow. For the time being, I am still using BEAR exclusively.

1 Like

If I had a dollar for every time someone said ā€œI could use Agenda if it just had xā€ :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, ā€œxā€ is nearly always different.

The good news is that this has a reasonably high priority. We will get to it sooner or later, but it actually is a big project. It may seem like it is just a simple view to show, but we have to make our whole database accessible from different extensions at the same time. Itā€™s actually a huge deal.

1 Like

And if I had a dollar for every Note Taking app I gave tried that came and went because they didnā€™t listen to their devoted baseā€¦ā€¦

I use Agenda every dayā€¦and Bearā€¦.I just want to use one. I love Agendaā€¦but Bear can do things Agenda cannot. I REALLY LOVE Agendaā€¦I want it to become the single repository for all my stuff. I will keep paying for this, becaue I want it to succeed.

I am an IT Project Mangerā€¦I totally understand what you are saying regarding database access (we are currently converting a 20 year old database) so please understand that my request is coming from a place of sincere desire to see your app succeed and grow.

3 Likes

We are absolutely listening. That is why we have this in our roadmap.

Just wanted to say it is not like some features, where we can just make a nice view and show that. We actually have to completely rewire internal parts of the app, so that data can be loaded from extensions while the app is not even running. Itā€™s actually quite tricky, but we certainly have plans to do it.

1 Like

Hereā€™s hoping you make it your next Manhattan Project now that Attachments is ā€˜doneā€™. :wink:

Wish it were that simple. We have lots of manhattan projects to choose from :slight_smile:

Itā€™s high on the list though. Get to it sooner rather than later.

2 Likes

Maybe my reply came off more ā€œsaltyā€ than I intended. It was meant to be more tongue in cheek!

I love what you are doing, I love that you are so involved with the community and I am here for the long haul. Keep up the great work.

2 Likes

Please add Share support for both iOS and Mac!

We have been designing this. It is actually a very big feature to develop, even though it seems small. On our roadmap.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

I agree! For a note taking app, this omission really cripples the usefulness of Agenda. Such a fundamental iOS tool thatā€™s almost universal with other communication apps (notes, email, task mgt), Share seems to be trivialized by this development team. Of the dozens of features added to iOS Agenda, less than a handful would seem to me to rise above the benefit of Share.

Blow it off if you wish, but as of now with plenty of alternatives, this app is mothballed for me and that subscription will not be renewed.

2 Likes

Actually you can use shortcuts to share to agenda alreadyā€¦ see for yourself in section ā€œShortcutsā€ in this community :wink:

You couldnā€™t be further from the truth (if it were we wouldnā€™t have asked the designer to work on it already obviously), what weā€™ve been saying along is that we want to do it but that it requires some foundations to be put in place first. Both technical (how to run the app in the sandbox that Apple provides for extensions) and workflow wise (where would the shared content go?). Weā€™re working on these but this takes time alas.

1 Like

Just did a quick Search for the number of threads that requested or commented on the Attachments feature prior to its release. Stopped counting after 100+. 80% asked why it was taking so long. Likewise, 80% asked the TWO (2) developers to take their time and do it right. (see what I did there!). Seems to me they took just the right amount of time to get the feature right. Soā€¦my point. Buckle up and wait for Share to appear. May take longer than you want, but Iā€™m betting it will be done right no matter when itā€™s released.

2 Likes

What exactly does that mean? Next week? Next month? Next year? Saying youā€™re going to do something is worth littleā€¦actually doing it matters. This thread started in May 2018 with the developer response ā€œwe have plans for share extensions.ā€

I rarely use Agenda these days because it has been too limiting in its current state. I just thought Iā€™d investigate if Share had been added yetā€¦and here we are.

Iā€™m afraid software development rarely works that way. I could give you a date, and you can be sure it would not work out that way. Things often take longer than expected, or other projects come in between. Giving a date has no worth, and will only make you more disagreeable if we donā€™t hit it.

This is an important feature. Our designer is pretty much finished with that phase. We plan to do it sometime this year. Thatā€™s about all I can promise at this point. We have other features that are taking priority at this point in time.

1 Like

Fair enough! Iā€™ve been a part of software development teams, and trained in front-end/back-end engineering, so I understand your ā€œworldā€. Telling me Share is planned for this year with caveat that there are other priorities that could affect that timeline at least gives me better information on Agendaā€™s roadmap and whether itā€™s worth my continued investment.

3 Likes

I agree - the share function is critical to my continued interest and investment in this App. It seems to me its been released way to early, promises much without delivery anything in a timely manner. Very disappointed, after very high hopes. Might even revert back to the big E

It does look nice though!!