iOS Share extension plans?

You can’t have everything at once and the Agenda team have not been kicking back and doing nothing since when this feature was first requested.

Although the share extension feature has not been released yet, a HUGE pile of other features have been released and a whole list of new features are going to be released soon. I’m not going to list every feature or call out what’s coming, do your homework and check recent updates from the team.

It’s all about prioritisation. I personally would love a password feature to stop prying eyes BEFORE share extension, but you won’t see me complaining why it’s not here yet.

2 Likes

I would be glad for macOS and iOS Share Menu integration too. I’m missing it :frowning:

Adding a cosign. Was about to switch back to Agenda (from Bear) full-time because of Reminders integration, but without share menu compatibility, I can’t integrate into my core workflows. As a product lead in my dayjob, I understand the difficulties in managing roadmap, but from a business PoV, I’d argue this is a table-stakes feature for relevancy in the notes market.

2 Likes

I also would like Agenda to implement the iOS share sheet, but in the meantime, I’ve created/borrowed two Shortcuts that get me the desired behavior completely. One shares any selected text to Agenda, and the other shares files as attachments. You can use these from any app that has a Share button. If you’re missing native Agenda share sheet functionality, these should really do the trick for you.

File to Agenda: Shortcuts (thanks to marc.boulos for this one)

Text to Agenda: Shortcuts

Instructions:

1. Make sure you have Shortcuts.app installed (App Store link)

2. Share text or a file using the standard iOS “Share” button

3. Tap “Shortcuts” in the bottom row of the share sheet.

4. Tap the desired shortcut.

If you would rather these shortcuts append to an existing note than create a new note, you can alter the URL schemes in them to do this.

Agenda development team, not to toot my own horn but I think these Shortcuts or ones like them are so helpful in filling this feature gap that you might want to promote them (or your own more fully featured ones) in some way.

7 Likes

I’m in the same boat, poking around with Agenda, comparing it against Bear. But I share things using the iOS shortcuts all the time to/from Bear/Mail/Things/Safari. Very surprised that they’re not supported in Agenda!

1 Like

My exact workflow with the exception of using AirMail instead of Mail. Share extension should be a MUCH higher priority in my book

It is a very high priority. One of the next things on our list. The problem is that it is not as trivial as it seems. It has to work when the app is not running. We have to organize the internal passage of data so that everything works and syncs even when the app is not running. Stay tuned!

5 Likes

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you guys are on it :raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2:

Will this be implemented in iOS 13 / iPad os?

Not necessarily the case on macOS – most share extensions there launch the app when the extension is used – DEVONthink, OmniFocus, Curiota, Yoink – they all launch the app if the app is shut down.

Right, but the real need is iOS, where there are fewer options for moving the data around. We will tackle Mac and iOS together.

1 Like

Share Sheet / Extension is I think the feature that should be prioritized. I can already do that with Cultured Code Things, Microsoft OneNote, Fantastical, and more. Certainly makes it a lot easier (and faster) to bring all the info I need into the app instead of copying and paste.

It is prioritised. We have started working on it. We have big plans, so it will still be a while, but it is coming.

5 Likes

MeisterTask has a nice implementation for this. When using the share sheet on a file, it asks to create a new task or add to an existing task.

Would be great to have similar functionality to create a note or append to one.

1 Like

Yeah, for tasks that works pretty well, because they are very short. For notes, it works less well. But rest assured we have big plans for this. We are working on the groundwork now.

2 Likes

Great!

By the way, The system I referred to also includes notes and attachments. They are all handled by their share sheet mechanism.

1 Like

Do they offer full edit functionality, or just appending to a note or something like that?

They offer full edit when creating new tasks
Ans automatic appending for existing tasks. They do have full search to look for the right task to append to.
And a simple but effective pop-up:

Looking forward to this when it comes!

The ability to ‘send’ (Ie append) to an existing note would be really helpful.

I often need to research stuff online and gather it in one place for working on later. When looking to save the first item I find, I’d like ‘send to new note’, for subsequent items, ‘append to last used note’. Would also need ‘append to [choose note]’.

1 Like

Any ETA on this guys?

Sharing would be AMAZING now.
Cheers for the great work.