Syncing between desktop and iOS

Ours sounds very unusual, it should be as you describe for the other apps, near instant. We will have an update coming out very soon, it would be great if you could let us know if this 5.2 version works better or shows the same behaviour.

Will do. This has been an issue for me going back to my initial test usage of Agenda. I determined the date structure to be so important, that I am accepting the issues with sync. I use four devices: a MacBook Air, an MacBook Pro, an iPad and an iPhone. All are on the most recent operating system updates.

I have updated all devices to Version 5.2 and have done a bunch of testing on sync between my Mac, iPad and iPhone.

I have determined that a sync update to an existing note on any device seems to be very dependent on the amount of text changed in a note.

If I take a task list and simply change the status of several check boxes the devices may never sync and if they do, it is usually several hours, over night, and in some cases never.

If I take that same note and add a short sentence, that will not drive a faster sync either.

If I make a significant text addition, say a paragraph, the updated note sync will then be very quick.

As I mentioned in my earlier post. If you pin a note with a check list of major tasks for the day on a mac or ios device, good luck updating checkbox status with other devices. You must make a significant text change (at least a paragraph composed of several sentences) to get a full sync including checkbox status. That is frustrating as sync of checkbox status in almost immediate in Apple Notes and Bear.

I just tested exactly that, to make sure there was no issue I was messing. Checking a box on why iPhone updated on the Mac in about 10 seconds, with no other change. It is certainly not the case that you should have to make an extensive change to get a sync to happen.

In other words, you may well be seeing an issue, but I think it is likely that something is going wrong in your particular setup, rather than a general sync issue for all. It is certainly designed to sync in 10 seconds or so in most cases.

Do you see any pair of devices syncing well (ie as expected)? Is there one device that seems to be involved in all problem cases?

Drew,
It’s the iOS devices that seem to be he slowest on both upload to iCloud and download.

I reinstalled Agenda on all of my devices. Sync of updated notes has improved but it still takes minutes (approximately 5 mins) not seconds.

This is an improvement over the previous version. A new note syncs between devices in seconds.

A post was split to a new topic: Sync Not Working in 5.2

Ah, so new notes are fast, but editing old notes takes longer?

Yes. New notes are not an issue.

There is a refresh problem with the current version. We have a fix in the next release (goes into beta today).

The sync occurs, but the screen may not show the changes. Changes to text should appear, but changes to title/date/on-the-agenda status will not. You can force a refresh by changing to another project and back.

Drew

Today, I got back into the office after two weeks off, updated both my iPad and MacBook versions of Agenda to the latest versions and now with no other changes having been made syncing (via iCloud) is not working either from iOS or MacOS.

What can I do?

Are you sure your iCloud storage isn’t full?

I’ve got 48GB remaining iCloud space available.

Sigh. Personal iPad and my personal iMac seem to be synching okay. I’m guessing it’s something to do with work’s network.

Ah yes, some companies block iCloud drive indeed, that could definitely explain the lack of syncing.

Yes, and this sort of behaviour has occurred before even though most of the time sync works fine in that environment. What could be an improvement is some kind of real-time feedback so I know the sync is failing. A feature request, perhaps?

I have just started using Agenda 5.4 on my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Air. I have started different projects on the IOS devices and on the MBA. The projects and notes on the MBA sync across to the IOS versions but the IOS projects do not sync acreoss to the MBA. Also, if I add to a note started on the MBA on IOS the changes are not reflected on the MBA.
Having read this thread I’ve restarted iCloud on both the devices and the MBA with no improvements. Can you help, please?

I had the same problem with syncing between multiple iOS and macOS devices. I finally reinstalled Agenda app on the iOS devices and that helped. My Agenda notes sync reasonably quickly now. Occasionally to speed the sync I will close and re-open the app on iOS.

Thanks for the advice, I’ve re-installed on the IOS devices, no luck, and then on the Mac with, again, no luck solving the problem.

Just tried syncing through dropbox - same issue notes sync from MBA to iphone but not from iphone to MBA

Does Apple Notes sync properly between your iOS devices and MBA?