Support for Tables

+1 I waited for Bear to get this for…well, forever. Please add this. Yeah. :+1:t2:

Any ETA on support for Tables?

Working on it now. It’s a big project. Still hoping to have it out this year, but might be early next year.

3 Likes

Tables would be huge! So important for templates and notes. Let me know if I can help test or provide feedback on any designs or functionality. Loving the MacOS/ipadOS apps.

+1 for tables!

Nearly done! :wink:

3 Likes

You guys are killing it this year with the updates - well done and sincere thanks! Tables will be a huge boon, but there is already so much this app is doing. Awesome work!

3 Likes

+1 for what @freytim wrote!
Thank you guys!

1 Like

Great job guys. And honestly, good job weathering this thread (and others) w.r.t. the never ending backlog problem in software development.

I’m curious - how do you prioritize customer requests? I know user-voice type things make it simple - go with the next highest vote count (discounted for effort & cost, obviously). What’s y’alls process?

It’s an organic process where our own ideas on where Agenda should go, are weighed together with what we hear read in the community, from feedback and support emails, and other channels. Also technical feasibility and complexity, as well as marketing opportunities play a role.

One thing we absolutely don’t believe in is user voting, this just leads to feature bloat, being forced to work on things we don’t think should be part of Agenda, and false expectations (“hey, this thing has been top 5 since forever and you still didn’t do it!?”). Basically, that kind of system is just the real life equivalent of the Henry Ford quote “If I had asked what people wanted, they had told me a faster horse”, as in, it would force us to build faster horses…

7 Likes

Thanks for replying - and very insightful. I’m an SDE at Amazon and they focus a lot on ‘Customer Obsession’. Lot of questioning like ‘is this what that customer wants? How do we know the customer wants this?’ And a lot of user-testing before prioritizing features. Jeff Bezos has been quoted as saying something like “focusing on the customer is the most efficient business goal, because the one thing you can always count on is customers never being fully satisfied.”

That being said, the goals aren’t opposed. It’s interesting they aim to “Give the best experience to the customer” with different emphases.

2 Likes

I think what you often learn from customers is that there is a problem to be solved. It is rarer to hear the exact solution that should be adopted. Most people just point to existing solutions, because that is what they know (ie the faster horse). We try to take on board the problem, and come up with a solution that fits into Agenda. The community is very important for pointing us to the pain points.

3 Likes

Yes, I need Tables too
It is so hard to write Ideasm plans without tables.
Give it to us, pls!

We should start beta testing in about 3 weeks.

1 Like

Think we are at the point where we could start to tease this a bit. Here is a screenshot to keep the long suffering table lovers going until we have something to test.

5 Likes

+1 for tables … no spreadsheet necessary.

Requirements:

• Table Header
  • Table Lines
  • Bullet Points in Table Cells
  • Checklists in Table Cells
  • Multimarkdown Export Format
1 Like

How to participate?

Doubt most of those will make it, at least not in the initial release.

We won’t have specialized header cells, though you can format the text with inline styles, so you could delineate that way.

If you mean grid lines by “table lines”, they are there, as you can see.

Won’t be supporting non-body paragraph styles in tables either, so no checklists, at least in first implementation.

We’ll see about multi markdown export. Possible we can do something there.

2 Likes

Maybe normal Lists in the Table cells might make it?

Could you give examples of when you would put a list inside a table, I still kind of find it difficult to imagine the use case. In Excel terms it would feel to me like you would be adding multiple-rows inside a single cell.

1 Like