Support for Tables

We would like to do this. Have to see if we can fit it in. Unfortunately there are lots of big requests people have, and we just have to prioritise and do them in order. Tables is pretty high on the list, but time will tell.

Just to add to this long topic:

1. yes +1 for simple “dump” tables inside Agenda;
  2. yes +1 for linking (not embedding) Numbers tables with quicklook and thumbnail support; don’t know if it’s possible tough.

Thanks!

You can link to a file by holding the CTRL key while dropping a file into a note. It won’t generate a thumbnail or allow for quicklook though.

Thanks for pointing that out!

I bomb this up again…drooling for tables…Need this ASAP - 2020

waiting for so long time.

We do hope to get to it this year but also to be realistic it won’t be before a few other things are out, including the sharing extension for example.

If you added a “donate for tables” button, I would happily shoot over 20 bucks. Im sure many people above would too! You could put Donate $5, $10, $20. If that would make the ios share functionality and table functionality available sooner I would HAPPILY donate. I don’t mean to get personal, but as a fellow entrepreneur, I know that any feature you want to roll out has to be done in a thoughtful manner. I know you guys haven’t sold out to the big wigs, so mabye enough money could get an extra developer to submit a table concept directly to you? Or however you want to do it. Not trying to be offensive. Just thinking of a way to make it happen a smidgen faster. Add a donate button and Ill DONATE FOR TABLES this second!
Hell, Ill live stream a telethon like a PBS special. I know some dancers! (kidding about the telethon and dancers. But not donations for tables)

Appreciate the suggestion, but it isn’t really a question of money. Yes, we could throw some money at someone, but the problem is that that developer would then have to work their way into learning Agenda’s code etc. That is a long process, and it is often a while before a new developer can get up to speed. We have had mixed results from getting people in (through no fault of theirs). Often, after the project has finished, we have to go in and do a lot of last bits of work, and that means we have to learn what they have done. Often we will spend just as much on this as we would have to make the thing ourselves.

All that said, tables are important, and we want to add them as soon as we can. We’ll look at our options.

4 Likes

As someone who’s trying to figure out how Agenda fits into my OmniFocus/Evernote workflow, tables would be a big plus. As a newcomer to Agenda who’s thinking about paying for a premium subscription, is disheartening to see that tables has been a popular request since at least 2018.

I use Evernote to help manage my production of a biweekly print magazine. But Evernote, as my highly searchable junk drawer, is slower to load than Agenda. I also like the way Agenda integrates with calendars and reminders.

That said, a simple integrated table would be a big help. My needs are fairly simple: Story, Author, Word Count, Status.

In the meantime, I’ll be looking for workarounds, such as linking Google Sheets, Apple Numbers, etc.

The problem is, there are a lot of these requests. Everyone wants their own favourite. We simply can’t do them all at once. Each one requires months of development.

Tables is a popular request, and it has finally bubbled up to the top of the list. We plan at this stage to start on this in the coming months. Stay tuned.

7 Likes

Alexa, you’ve just come up with another SoftwareDev pricing model, whereby by Dev create new SW, the basic core, and which feature gets developed next depends on who/how many donates to what next proposed feature, and the money actually changes hands the moment the Dev commits/delivers to developing that feature. Bonus money if they deliver on time.

Kind of like a SW Dev via a knid of Kickstarter payment model and, it’s also what Apple did initially with Final Cut Pro X, 10 years ago, provided a basic app that lacked many PRO features, so in the first 3-4 years Apple relied on external parties to create plugins and additional workflows and Final Cut Pro partner/sister/helper apps to work along side FCP.

But the problem with this payment model is that a user could throw a lot of money to a specific feature, and dev would develop it cause user committed a lot of money, but said feature might be good for specific user base, but not necessarily good for the rest of the user.

Something to think about.

Yeah, we are certainly no fans of a “build-to-order” type approach I’m afraid, it can cause very odd incentives.

There will be many times where a certain feature will be requested but it needs other features built first before the “most popular requested” feature can see the light of day.

I trust the Agenda developers to figure out the pieces to stick in next. I’m sure they’re hearing the flood of feature requests so they’re taking them into consideration when deciding what to work on next.

3 Likes

+1 for this feature.

This has bubbled up to the top now. Stay tuned.

12 Likes

best news EVER!

1 Like

Great news. I was coming to add my +1 to this feature request.

1 Like

Added another vote for support for tables. Thanks!

Working on it now.

16 Likes