Opening projects in new windows

Any date to agenda 14 beta release?

See https://agenda.community/t/recruiting-test-pilots-for-agenda-14/86074

I recently installed the new (Version 14.0 (217) - Mac App Store) version. It seems that the feature to open a note in seprate window did not get in or Iā€™m failing to find how it work. Any hints are appreciated!

1 Like

I think this has been misinterpreted by some that multiple window support was part of Agenda 14, this is not the case. What I was saying is that with Agenda 14 out of the way, it has now become one of the top items on what we would like to add in one of the next updates. Thereā€™s no ETA yet, nor which version it will be definitely part of, just that it will come at some point.

1 Like

Where can one see the top features in your features list?

In Drew and my personal Agenda libraries :smiley: Itā€™s not a public list as we donā€™t believe in user voting when it comes to the best path towards a great product for users. Having said that, we do have a (non-exhaustive) list of top features weā€™d like to bring for sure at some point here: The features we are working on right nowā€¦

Hi guys, new Agenda user here. Loving it so far!
But, just like so many people has been pointing out the multiple windows functionality, I also would like this one. Top priority for sure!

I understand you just released the version 14 - how soon do you plan to release further versions, which could potentially include the multi-windows functionality?

Given that this thread started in 2017, so almost 5 years being requested, I was wondering if itā€™s a matter of months or years more until we get it working?

We have been working in parallel on Agenda 15, which will focus on collaboration. For the update after itā€™s currently a tight call between the multiple windows functionality and some other of the most requested items, we havenā€™t made our minds up yet. Realistically it will not be years, but will be a matter of at leasts a few months.

5 Likes

Iā€™d love to hear if there is a status update on this. Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

Itā€™s among the top 3 features weā€™ll pick from for the next releases.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t used Agenda in ages, but I keep the app installed and I bookmark this thread just in case it ever happens to get multi-window support. While I prefer Agenda to all the numerous competing note taking apps Iā€™ve tried, I just canā€™t integrate it into my workflow without multiple windows.

And, honestly, it seems like an odd design choice not to have a feature like this. Nearly every note taking app Iā€™ve used on the Mac supports multiple windows ā€” even Apple notes. So Iā€™d argue itā€™s almost expected functionality at this point. Heck, even Obsidian supports multiple / pop out windows for notes now (and Iā€™m under the impression that wasnā€™t easy since the app is built on Electron).

Itā€™s never been a design choice not to include it. In fact, we have designs for this ready from a few years back.

The problem is not that we donā€™t want to do it, it is that there are plenty of other equally popular features, and we have to make choices.

The good news is that this feature is now very high on the priority list.

3 Likes

Understood and Iā€™m glad to hear this feature might someday make it to the top of the list. I know a lot of premium features have been added since I let my subscription lapse, I guess I just thought something fundamental like being able to open a note in a new window might have higher priority than some of the things that we got instead.

But, then again, everyone has different workflows. And I know well-enough from hanging around in the Obsidian forums that some people never use multiple windows and canā€™t even understand why anyone would. So itā€™s entirely possible that while I think pop up windows are critical to the appā€™s functionality, plenty of people would rather be able to change the color of their tags instead.

Let me just weigh in here to support this.

Working on it for the next major upgrade.

4 Likes

I just had to realize that this feature is now implemented in a newer version but as I paid addon under subscription. I used to have a subscription license but did not extend it since I did not see appealing paid features coming. Now, the feature I explicitly asked for came after my subscription has expired. How do you think it makes me feel?.. Iā€™m just puzzling about where Iā€™m motivated more: 1) pay a one-year subscription to just get this feature or 2) spend time to move all my notes to another tool, most probably just Apple Notes, since this one is at least always coming with iOS and macOSā€¦

ā€“
A deeply disappointed user and former subscription customerā€¦

Iā€™m not following, this is the whole model of Agenda, i.e. you pay when you feel new features justify the purchase, and if you stop paying in contrast to almost all other apps you actually keep what you already have. Now that this feature is available and is something you seem to think it would be worth having, it would make sense to pay again wouldnā€™t it? As far as we are aware this kind of subscription ā€œpauseā€ is unique to Agenda, most other apps would have forced you to continue paying also in the period that nothing would have been added that you really find useful.

3 Likes

Yeahā€¦ I seeā€¦ The actual point of my disappointment was the timing. At the time I found this theard, it was planned to come the next release which would be in the time of my subscription, but it did not come, my subscription ended, and how there is a new release which is not avialable for me. BTW, I now asked about Search on another thread. IMHO, Search is very rudimentary unless you use tags a lot and can memorise all tags you ever used. The last reply on that thread was one year ago saying that imprvements in Search are on the list, but not done yetā€¦ Iā€™m lost and still disappointed even if your subscription policy is more generous than othersā€¦

Search is something we will focus on in the update after the Agenda 18, which will allow you to set a password to access your notes.

1 Like

I donā€™t think ā€œasking forā€ a feature means its promised.

Listen, the huge advantage of the way Agenda does its licensing is that you get to keep forever features that were introduced while you were subscribed. Plenty of software these days is just rental-based, and becomes completely useless unless you pay in perpetuity. I for one am quite thankful that Agenda is using a much more ethical business model here, and Iā€™m glad to support it as long as features, bug fixes and optimizations I want keep getting delivered.

You paid for whatever updates came out for a year, and you knew (or should have) the terms of that. It was totally transparent. Do you also complain when your Mac gets too old to run an OS update that does something you wish your Mac could do? I get that the timing here was unfortunate, but the developers canā€™t really help that.

1 Like