iOS Share extension plans?

Any ETA on this guys?

Sharing would be AMAZING now.
Cheers for the great work.

It’s getting closer but needs some final polishing…

9 Likes

well, a workaround until you guys let us email to Agenda… How about adding reminder in Agenda out of Mac Mail
https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/03/29/create-reminder-mail-app-mac/

1 Like

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

This feature is taking forever… ETA?

We’re aiming for first half of this year.

4 Likes

is there a workaround via Ios Shortcuts? I see your already in there, so could we temporarily run an action to send all ot the file. formats (pictures, pdf’s, text, screenshots etc.) that you support to the app? If so, can you show is the shortcut?

Have a look at the Shortcuts section in this community, it has a number of topics that indeed come up with shortcuts to fill this gap.

1 Like

AHHHH yes!!! Thanks for answering. IOS share option is going to be great once it comes out but until then Im happy to use these

1 Like

Update: Version 10 of Agenda now has a super powerful sharing extension, it essentials packs a mini-version of Agenda allowing you to make arbitrary edits to notes, and inserting content at any position, rather than just appending to the end of a note. :tada:

2 Likes

In a short time I have grown to like Agenda a lot, but I’m wondering why, when shared from another app to Agenda, the default is to append to an excisting note, and not to create a new one. Which one is the most common use case?

How can I easily share something as a new Agenda note? Any shortcuts for this?

1 Like

Maybe, instead of having “new note” at the bottom of a note list, it could be at the top?

Maybe instead of opening the last edited note, it could open the menu where you can select the location.

For the users who want to append to the last edited document, there’s already the ”Recently edited list in the beginning”. So this would be super easy to choose one of them.

And If you want to create a new note, you could just select the project from the list and choose ”Add new note” (This could be in the beginning of the list just like Robbie07 suggested)

It’s clear from the choices we made that we believe that in general you would share to an existing note. This is because the model of Agenda doesn’t scale well to the idea of 1 link or piece of text per note. If you make notes too granular and end up with hundreds of notes per project or hundreds of projects you will likely run into performance problems. Can you give examples of the type of shared contents you would want to always start in a new note?

For me, it’s recipes. But also articles, house listings, … I think generally some growing number of larger items. Related – I now copy-paste from webpages to Agenda, but it would be nice if the extension could clip a website content like Evernote, Bear Notes, or OneNote.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your point of view.

I would love to hear more how Agenda is planned to be used. I’m a bit worried about the possible performance issues.

For example one use case for me is to use it as a journal. In this case, should I record my daily thoughts as separate notes, or add all entries to one note?

Same question applies to writing meeting memos.

Third use case is to build a personal knowledge base about various topics. This might be my own thoughts or something collected from the web… or combination of these.

Not sure, but wouldn’t it be a bit cumbersome to seach something if all the information is in some massive notes?

Being new to Agenda and all… from visual point of view it looks like Agenda is planned for snippet like notes. I’m referring to the borders around the (selected) note for example. And the fact that by default, the notes are presented in full lenght under the projects.

I’m more than happy to try some new approaches though - to get most out of the app. I just need to know what those are. :slightly_smiling_face:

Recipes make sense indeed, articles depends a bit, for example if you just store a single url in a single note you’re probably not doing it right. Same as a house listing. If it has a short description it’s probably a good fit but if it’s just a single sentence, you’re probably just better of with a list where each listing is a single item. For example, most URLs I share end up in a single note (one per area/topic) with one URL per list item, like this:

Many of those links were shared through the sharing extension. I’d argue that if each of those items were a single note the efficiency of Agenda falls apart a bit as things become much less easy to browse etc.

In large part I think the sharing extension addresses the use cases for a Safari extension like Bear’s. Note that you can also select a piece of a webpage and then in the black popup menu (iOS) or right-/control- click contextual menu (macOS) select Share and have the text be inserted into a note. I haven’t seen any requests any more since version 10. Perhaps down the road it could be an option (I can see how it has some benefits) but I have to be honest in that I’m not sure it can compete with the many other things on the list in terms of priority.

To be honest there’s no golden rule. I think when you consistently (there are always good exceptions to the rule) create single sentence notes you’re probably not doing it right and should try to group things more per topic/subject. Likewise if you add each week’s meeting to single every growing note you’re also taking it to far and should think about splitting things up.

I’ve just written some more on this topic here, perhaps that helps getting a better idea:

Likewise, this topic contains perhaps some more visual examples of how to chop things up in the right bite size:

Ah. my point wasn’t that I would like to add a lot of single link or sentence notes. Sorry for being unclear. The only complaint was that when you share something from another app (iOS) to Agenda, it opens the last opened note where it expects you to paste the content. This frustrates me. Why can’t it open the location menu?

In your own example, If you would like to add something to your ”Playground” list and it opens the ”Mac emulation” list, wouldn’t it bother that you have to first leave that note (unnecessary step).

Other than this the share function works perfectly :slight_smile: