Agenda Tasks -> Things Inbox

Here is a shortcut that sends all lines in an Agenda note that include a checkbox to the Things inbox.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/74e313c007ff480f9baaefce711d5f1c

Let me know if you have any issues/questions with this.

14 Likes

Nice, thanks for sharing!

Works like a charm, thank you!

1 Like

Thanks! very useful indeed. I pasted the Agenda note link in the note title so that the agenda note link appears in the notes portion of the newly created Things 3 to-do. Thanks again for sharing. I now need to find a way to easily go in the other direction from Things 3 to Agenda.

1 Like

Hi, I’m a new user and trying to figure out if I should use agenda or things for my requirements. I have both on my iPad and iPhone. It looks like you’re working with both. Any reason why? Thanks.

They have very different strengths and weaknesses IMO. Things has great task management capabilities (I particularly love its very extensive keyboard shortcuts) but not great note-taking capabilities (no formatting, attachments etc.) Agenda has great note-taking capabilities but not task management capabilities (it’s not terrible, but without the ability to see all incomplete tasks across all my notes in one view, it really doesn’t work as a pure task manager for me. Its Reminders integration is pretty nice but I strongly prefer Things to Reminders and don’t want to switch.) Luckily, my 12.9” iPad Pro allows me to put both apps side-by-side, which is how I use the apps the majority of the time, and both feel like they have plenty of screen real estate. Also luckily, Shortcuts + URL schemes allow both apps to talk to each other if you want to go to the effort of setting them up correctly.

1 Like

I seem to have a problem here. I click on the link, and it takes me to a web page with a button to click, but when I do, Safari tells me it can’t open that address which starts with workflow://shortcuts/74e313c007ff480f9baaefce711d5f1c

What am I doing wrong here ?

2 Likes

That’s weird. You’re using iOS, right? Do you have the Shortcuts app installed?

It says my security for shortcuts will not allow untrusted apps. You have to open the app to get security settings

Thanks, this helps!

I’m also looking into mind mapping apps as a visual tool to help me manage complex tasks. Any thoughts on that?

I have iOS 13.1 installed on all devices. I first tried on my desktop but shortcuts is not available there. Then I tried on my phone. Changing the security setting is not straightforward but I finally got that to work. Then I tried
it on my iPad and it does not work though it contends it is installed.

I have the same issue on OS, doing it from my MacBook

iOS Shortcuts won’t work on a MacBook, they are iOS only.

Cool Shortcut! :+1: If the script would analyzes the date from the task, it would be perfect!

Very nicely done. Ideally I’d have a link in the Things TODO that would take me back to the note, but none of the share options that I can see will include both the text and a link to the note. Might be something for the team to think about, having the link with the text would let you set up very nice links.

Is it possible to add the agenda-link of the note into the text of the task?

As learned noted, the Share > Note Text option doesn’t capture the Agenda note link. It would be possible to copy the Agenda note link to the clipboard first, then invoke the Share > Note Text > Shortcut action, then have the Shortcut grab the Agenda link from the clipboard to stick into each task, but that requires an extra manual interaction step at the beginning that makes it fairly clumsy to use. But if you’re okay with that, go for it!

Good idea. :bulb:

Another way around this is to create a temporary List in reminders and then use the /remind feature to create reminder for a Checkbox item in Agenda. Then use the new reminder import Feature in Things. It will show new reminders from that temp list, you can chose to import and it will bring times and notes through into things (so you get the agenda link).

Thank you.