Upcoming Widget

Since my last post, finished items are not disappearing even after opening the app and waiting over an hour.

Notes marked as completed should be removed from the widget now, in the very latest release. The release has just gone public too.

When you open the app, it does a refresh, and it should also refresh the widget when changes are made. But indeed, widgets are not the app itself. They are really just like web pages the app puts up in advance. They can’t update by themselves, other than the schedule the app has indicated in advance. The app has to run to get sync changes, and then it can update the widget.

1 Like

Thank you to let us know, Drew.

Same here. My Relevant Items are showing things that were finished (and checked off) a long time ago, and are definitely not relevant anymore. There are things “on the Agenda” that should show up, instead I’m seeing things that are stale and finished.

FYI — My Relevant Items are showing things that were marked complete long ago. I have 3 items “on the agenda” right now (not complete). Those are NOT showing up in the Relevant Items widget. Instead, I see one thing from my “on the agenda” and two items that I checked off months ago.

Also — for the widget to be truly helpful it needs to update (on its own) in the background. I use Agenda mostly on my laptop. I don’t open the phone app unless I’m on the go. So right now the widget seems to reference really, really old data most of the time.

• I did open the phone app when testing the widget out, knowing that I have to do that in order for the widget to update. I didn’t make a difference. Widget still showing some really old stuff.

Please see the discussion and the comment from Drew above, this will all be much improved in the next update, which isn’t out yet. Completed notes will no longer be shown starting in Agenda 11.2.

2 Likes

I assume you have the latest version, right? There were some issues with the original release, because we were put under a lot of pressure to ship very quickly by Apple’s release schema.

The latest widget should not show completed notes, or notes from the trash. It prioritizes notes with dates today, or in the coming few days. If there is any room left in the list, it will fill it up with recently edited notes.

On the Agenda is not currently accounted for, but version 11.2 will allow you to restrict notes just to those on the Agenda if you want that.

We will not be able to have background updating. That is not how widgets work. They are basically snapshots, similar to a web page, that are created by the main app when it is running. The widget itself cannot do any calculations or database queries to get the latest data.

1 Like

Thank you for the new update 11.2 (157). The widget looks great now! And I like very much the dot on the sidebar projects indicating the presence of notes placed On the Agenda as well. I think these two new features can improve our daily workflow. The only point I have noticed on the widget is that it is still indicating the time in 24 hours instead of in AM or PM…as settings are on my iOS. Please, have a look at the attached picture. Thanks!

Big improvement for the Widget, thank you!
I wonder if it would make sense to change the text a little bit (when editing the widget). Well, it is ok, I think!

Can you be more specific? Do you mean the back of the widget text is not clear?

I think there was something we still needed to translate.

Odd. I would think I used the default settings, but I’ll check. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks!

Yes, the back of the widget (editing the Agenda widget).
Sometimes German sounds very „complicated“ and not so light/easy like in English. I will ask @hr1 if he has an idea …

Oh, for me the button „In Frage kommende Notizen“ (English: Eligible Notes) does not look like a button.
Maybe better to write „Choose Eligible Notes“? In German it would be the long „In Frage kommende Notizen auswählen“
I also do not understand the sentence (in grey) "Agenda notes that are relevant right now.“ above the button. Does it make really sense?
Can you also change the title „Relevant Notes“ of the big Widget? E.g. when showing „On the Agenda“ notes the title would be „On the Agenda“ …

“Eligible Notes” is not a button. It is a label on a row. The button part is really the setting on the right. I originally had “Choose Eligible Notes” or similar, but it doesn’t fit on an iPhone when you have, eg, “On the Agenda” selected on the right. So I made it shorter. (Note that the UI itself for configuration is from Apple. We have no control over that.)

What does not make sense in the sentence? Seems like the English is fine. It shows notes that are relevant to this point in time. (We discussed whether they should be “Timely Notes”, but “Relevant” won.)

I guess it would be nice to have some indication what “filter” was being applied. I would probably not call them “On the Agenda” notes though, because technically that is not true. They are the same set of “relevant notes”, but we are filtering them to only show the ones that are on the agenda.

In future we are probably going to add a real widget just for the On the Agenda overview, and at that point, it could get very confusing. So keeping the widget name the same is probably best, though it might be nice to display what filter is being applied somewhere. (Note that the filter used is often obvious just by what notes appear. For on-the-agenda, they all have a dot.)

At the moment (big widget) I see (German):
Relevante Notizen
Agenda
Agenda Notizen, die momentan relevant sind.
In Frage kommende Notizen (grey box)

I do not really understand the meaning of the grey box. And both sentences. Wouldn’t it be better to say here just sth. like

Here you can choose which relevant notes appear in the Widget:
„Choose lists Lists“ (grey box).

Here an example to show what I mean.

I’ll consider changing the text of the sentence to explain it better. I think it is still the same text as the original widget. Probably needs to better explain the new choices.

Which grey box do you mean? On my screen, I see “Eligible Notes” “All”. This makes sense to me. “Eligible” is not ambiguous. Which notes can be considered for the widget?

1 Like

Ah, maybe we already fixed this. Yesterday I discovered that indeed we were missing the description, which is the sentence you mention. So I think the next beta will be better.

2 Likes

The shown text makes it not clear what I can do/change here. No notes are shown here but in both senteneces the user gets the message that it is about shown notes on this side of the widget. It gets clear after touching the widget because I see the options menue (where I can chosse between the sources for the "eligible“ notes). It looks like this:

Ah, I see. The German there is way too long. It is completely hiding the option on the right.

Unfortunately, we can’t do anything about it, other than get the localizers to come up with as short a term as possible. (Apple don’t give us control over the layout of this piece of UI.)

Here is what I see in English.

1 Like