Upcoming Widget

Yeah I have one main “Today” note which is assigned to today, OTA, and is at the top of my notes list. I’m editing it all day long. Because I have other notes assigned to the day as well, that note often doesn’t show up in the top 3 widget. It’s almost always the note that I want to access.

Fortunately if I tap just right on the “Upcoming" text (a little hard to target with my fat fingers), then Agenda opens up to wherever I was last looking.

Yep, it’s in the roadmap. We figured we would start with a fuzzy “relevant notes” widget, and build up from that. (The fuzzy algorithm should be much better in 11.1 too.)

1 Like

Thanks. No offence when I say that “fuzzy logic” don’t work for all users. It displays notes that are NOT related in most cases. Please give us option to display notes the way we prefer: favorites, wiki link, actual links, disable fuzzy logic, etc.

It displays notes that are NOT related in most cases.

Relevant, not related…

Please give us option to display notes the way we prefer:

I think we have mentioned in all of the responses above that this is the plan.

1 Like

As @mekentosj says, we do plan to offer other configuration options down the track.

The “fuzzy logic” we have now is not really that fuzzy. If you have a note linked to an event that is coming up soon, it should surface that note. I think for most people, that makes total sense.

If there is any more space left in the list, it uses recent edited notes. Again, notes you recently edited, or edit a lot, are very likely to be important.

Having said all that, there were a few bugs/shortcomings in the original algorithm which we rushed out with iOS 14. We have those fixed, and you should see it working a lot better in 11.1, which we hope will be out next week.

1 Like

For the future updates of the Upcoming Widget, maybe it could be useful to have a plus command somewhere to add a new note (with the possibility to select and insert it on the right project). Thanks!

Thanks, we are indeed considering that. I guess it will only work for a widget that shows a project, otherwise where do you put the new note?

Thank you Drew! I mean, maybe it is possible to put a plus command at the top right of the widget. So, you can select whatever project you need to insert the new note, even if the project is not mentioned inside the widget.
Please, have a look to the attachment:

Indeed that would be the most logical place, however, the widget cannot be interactive, i.e. you can’t show any UI or menu, the only thing the button can do is open the app at a certain location. Which means you’d then have to open the app and ask the user in which project to place the note. Given the disconnection between the widget and app (some time might be needed to open the app) it might be confusing to have that question pop up in the app. Hence the suggestion to only allow a plus button if the widget would be configured to show a specific project.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation, Alex. I understand the point. What I noticed is that if you click on the Agenda icon the app opens On The Agenda, Today or a specific project (it depends which one you have selected the last time you opened the app), but as the widget cannot be interactive, of course there is no chance to open a menu to select the exact project where to insert the new note.
I have a question: if I closed the app for example On the Agenda, it is not possible, once opened it again from the Icon widget, to insert a new note somewhere in the projects along On the Agenda interface (this means not on any of my projects, but only on those pinned up on the Agenda) selecting the new note directly from the Widget?

No, any tap on the widget can only open a URL, i.e. open another app, the state of the widget cannot change upon a tap, so it’s not possible to show a menu, choice, etc

Ok, I understand. Thank you for your prompt reply!

Each row in the widget should open that particular note when you tap it. Are you not seeing that? Or are the notes shown already deleted in Agenda?

I think I misunderstood the issue. It sounds like we are not properly filtering out trashed notes from the widget. We will make that fix.

Is the “random” note really random, or is it a recently edited note? The algorithm should favor notes that have a date coming up, but if there are none, it should then show recently edited notes. We don’t currently have an on the agenda widget, but we would like to add one.

As I am „new“ to these widgets (did not install the iOS betas) I tried not to follow this (and other) discussions about the Agenda widget. I wanted to use the widgets as a „newbie“.
First, after installing iOS14, I also installed some widgets but had the feeling I not need them (need too much space). But yesterday I played more with some and a few make sense to me (using the stack widget!).
Of course I also had a look at the Agenda widget. I see three notes while using the middle sized widget. Tapping one note and the same note opens in Agenda.
Now some feedback from me, not really new details as it was mentioned above already.
I do not understand which notes are shown. For me it is more „coincidence" than „relevant“ or notes assinged to today/tomorrow/soon. Sometimes such a date-relevant note appears, but I see also several notes which appear by „chance“.
The problem is that users expect different results when algorithms try to find out what a user needs/wants (depening on their former behaviour using an app). For me, in many cases, it is not the result I want to see (a nice example is the search/find function in Apple Mail).
I read, soon we will see v11.1 with an updated algorithm for the widget-notes. I also appreciate you want to add configuration options! :+1:
Have anice weekend!

1 Like

See the entire discussion above, same for the request…

More like the statistics widget or calendar view widget

Not sure if it was mentioned already by another user.
The three notes shown in the middle sized widget are different in iOS compared to iPadOS.

1 Like

The algorithm is exactly the same on each, but the notes shown will depend on when the widget was built up. The way it works, Agenda gets a chance to build a time line of changes. In other words, Agenda is not actually running when you see the widget; it has just scheduled a guess as to what will be important, based on calendar events, recently edited etc.

As pointed out several times, this widget should work well after 11.1 when you have calendar events. It should show the upcoming event notes in a timely way, and fill up the rest with recently edited notes. In future, we plan to allow you to pick notes or projects to put in a widget, but this is more difficult because — as I mentioned — Agenda is not actually running to provide those notes/projects. But it is all doable. This is just the beginning.

3 Likes

It would be great to be able to scroll the list of notes, though I suspect Apple doesn’t allow this.