Traditional Chinese - 正體字

Translators: @david_c @marsping @yuanxi.tw

This topic is for discussion the Traditional Chinese translation of Agenda. Feel free to leave your suggestions, corrections, and comments here.

Want to help translate Agenda to Traditional Chinese? Reply to this post and we’ll add you to this translation project.

Do you encounter any issues, have suggestions or comments, leave a post here as well, your feedback is highly appreciated!

1 Like

Hi,
I’d like to help you translate Agenda to Traditional Chinese :grin:

2 Likes

Hello
I’d be happy to help.

2 Likes

Update: The Traditional Chinese localization of Agenda is now officially underway :partying_face: with @marsping, @yuanxi.tw, @david_c taking a first stab at the first round of translation. As outlined here, we’ll add a number of reviewers once they have concluded the first round and will give all of you access to the test builds as things progress. Be sure to let us know if you’d like to help! We’re looking forward to your feedback. To be continued…

1 Like

Hi, looks like I am a bit late, it is possible for me to join the first round of translations?
Edit:
Thanks for the invitation, I would like to start translating from the top of the list and make the suggestion about “Basic actions and nouns”

Agenda’s Terms

• Premium features - Premium 功能
  • Category - 類別
  • Subcategory - 子類別
  • Project - 專案
  • Note - 筆記
  • Overview - 概覽
  • Calendar - 行事曆
  • Event - 行程
  • Reminder - 提醒事項
  • Date - 日期
  • Linking an Event - 連結行程
  • Assigning a Date - 安排日期
  • Collapse/Expand - 收合/展開
  • Pinning a note - 釘選筆記
  • Purchasing - 購買

Date & Time

• Day - 天

Actions

• Add New… - 新增
  • Add… - 加入

This is just the initial thought, please kindly leave your comment.
Maybe I should keep updating the list for the team to follow?

2 Likes

Good timing, I’ll add you right away…

Hi @david_c,

I think “Pinning” maybe can consider the translation in “備忘錄” which is “釘選”
“Premium features” I prefer not to use “收費”. “收費” is really clear but not matching the original meaning.

For now, I’m reviewing the purple terms in “Local Agenda”.
I’ll post some opinion if I have problem to translate.

2 Likes

Hi @marsping,

Thanks for the comment.Agree on the use of “釘選” for consistency with Apple. I will modify my first post for that.

Same for not using “Premium feature” as “收費” as it doesn’t feel right with Agenda. Right now I prefer “Premium 功能” or “進階功能”.

2 Likes

Hi @david_c,

“Category” I think it is more like “類別”, “分類” is more like a verb for me.
For example
截圖 2020-03-05 上午11.11.58
新類別
用於整理相關的專案到類別中,例如 工作 或 家庭

“Note” I prefer using “筆記” like you, but Apple using “備忘錄”. Maybe we need to finalize it.

“Calendar” I prefer using “行事曆” as Apple, because Agenda actually using the “行事曆” app.

(ps. 雖然練練英寫很好,但真的很想用中文溝通 :rofl:

1 Like

Hi @marsping,

I checked the App Store they use “類別” for “Category”.
I like “筆記” in stead of “備忘錄” as it is more intuitive for me.

Looks like you are coming from Taiwan? My Calendar App (Hong Kong) is call “日曆” :rofl:
I will change it to “行事曆”.

One more thing about " %@ days ago", in my App Store for update history Apple use “%@ 日前” and that’s why I use “日” instead of “天”. What is the word used in your App Store?

Please feel free to change the style to match Taiwan.

P.S. 用中文溝通應該會更有效率吧,可是開發者們就看不懂了,我建議是對較有爭議的用字才用中文吧。 :crazy_face:

1 Like

Hi @david_c,

I come from Taiwan.
I really don’t know the translation is different between HongKong and Taiwan.

Maybe we should ask Agenda Team the priorities of i18n regions need to be supported, including HongKong, Macao and Taiwan.

“%@ 日前” could you please take a screenshot let me find in my devices.

“日” is okay in Taiwan, but using “天” is more common.
“日” usually is used with specific date such as 3 月 5 日.
3 日前 = 3 天前
I feel it is more serious(嚴肅、慎重的感覺)to me if using “3 日前”.

1 Like

Here is my screenshot: “日” instead of “天”

For a small team I would suggest avoid three Traditional Chinese version and stick with your use of words. The hardest part is the initial stage: to determine a common word to use across the app. Things should be easier to follow later on. Sorry if choosing the right word slow down the translation process.

I would say it is quite natural for us to select Taiwan in language setting if Hong Kong were not in the list.

1 Like

Regarding premium, indeed we prefer to have the focus on being advanced/pro/premium rather than paid/subscription etc. I.e. focus on the functions giving you more advanced capabilities rather than focusing on the fact you have to pay for them.

Regarding Taiwan vs Hongkong, I see Apple for the Finder has:

• zh_CN
  • zh_HK
  • zh_TW

So indeed three different chinese translations. Is it perhaps a good idea to first focus on the Taiwan translation and once that is done, duplicate it and make a variant for HongKong?

2 Likes

Hi @mekentosj,

Regarding “Premium Feature”, we all share the same feeling. In fact here is the translation:

• 收費/進階/專業/Premium 功能 ?? Not prefer “收費”
  • Paid/ Advance/ Pro/ Premium Feature?? Not prefer “paid”

About localization, here is my understanding:

• zh_CN - Simplified Chinese: Mainly used in China and I know another team is working on it
  • zh_HK - Traditional Chinese: Mainly used in Hong Kong
  • zh_TW - Traditional Chinese: Mainly used in Taiwan

Actually the difference between TW and HK is minimal. e.g. Imagine the case in English (USA) vs English (British).

I agree we should focus on zh_TW and see if we can make the Hong Kong version. To be honest, I am 100% ok if there is only Taiwan version. :laughing:

1 Like

Ok perfect!

1 Like

How about use “優選”
“優” means excellent
“選” means choice

How to improve user experience and get more productivity? These features are excellent choices.

1 Like

First of all, not a big fan of “專業” or “高級” as those two feels unreachable.

I am leading toward “進階” if we really need to translate it as it is easy to to understand and emphasis on the advanced capabilities.

Otherwise, I would like to leave it as “Premium 功能” . I do check other reference e.g. Spotify Premium, YouTube Premium and they actually leave it as English and I think most of the people would understand. Like the App name Agenda,I wanted to leave it untranslated to keep the original idea from the developer.

3 Likes

I have some idea about “add” based on the meaning in context.

If the target is a existed one such “Add Attachments and Images” using “加入”
If the action will create some new material or content such as “Add New Note” using “新增”

1 Like

There are some differences between zh_CN and zh_TW/HK.But not too much.

1 Like

Suggest not to translate the formatting name such as Heading, Sub-Heading…
These style in current implementation is not work for Chinese characters.