Syncing between desktop and iOS

Does Apple Notes sync properly between your iOS devices and MBA?

Yes, the syncing in Apple Notes is immediate in both directions (on my home WiFi)

Update: I just went back to iCloud from Dropbox and that seems to have solved the problem, I’m getting syncing from both directions. Hopefully this will be permanent :smirk:
Thanks for your help.

:+1: Glad it helped. My experience was similar. I tried everything to no avail and then all of a sudden sync works.

Just to let you know we shipped the 5.5 update today for iOS and Mac, which resolves some intermittent sync issues some people have reported.

Hi, I’m having similar problems synching my MacBook Pro (15 inch mid 2010) Agenda 5.5 with iPad Pro (2018 10.5 inch) Agenda 5.5. Right now, I’m getting no synch at all either way, as far as I can tell. I did get synching at first: that’s how I got the Agenda notes onto my iPad. Started with MacBook Pro, High Sierra latest update, first. iPad is on latest version of iOS 12. Tried various things:

• Adding text within notes, plus new notes in several categories and projects from both directions: Mac to iPad and vice versa.

• Restarted Agenda on both devices.

• Restarted both devices.

• Signed out of iCloud on the Mac and out of iCloud Drive on the iPad (but not out of my Apple ID on the iPad). And checked to make sure that both versions of Agenda have iCloud synch turned on in preferences and both devices are using the same Apple ID. Plenty of space on iCloud drive.

• Checked iCloud synch with Apple Notes. It is near instantaneous.

Synch is not working over the last 5 or 6 days at least. Before that I wasn’t keeping close watch on the 2 devices, and have done most of my work on the Mac. I just started checking closely in the last couple of hours with some small changes, but also checked some changes I made on my iPad 4 days ago. They haven’t come across.
I haven’t signed out of my Apple ID on my iPad, just turned off iCloud drive. I’m a little leary of doing that, not being sure of the consequences.
Any help will be appreciated. The iOS version of Agenda is useless to me without a reliable synch.

Sorry about this. We have a major release coming tomorrow, which includes some sync improvements. Can you try that version out, and let us know if the problem persists?

3 posts were split to a new topic: Lost Data in Sync

I have installed the new versions of both Mac and iOS Agenda as you mentioned. That of itself did not change the differences of content between the two copies of Agenda.
So I turned off sync on both devices. Then I uninstalled Agenda from my iPad, reinstalled it, and turned iCloud sync on again. Most of the content of my Mac Agenda has come over to my iPad. I was just experimenting with it now.
There is one project on the Mac that does not appear on the iPad. It has four notes in it, none very long. I have tried moving the project to another category, changing the name of the project, changing notes in the project, quitting and restarting iOS Agenda, quitting and restarting Mac Agenda. Nothing I have done makes that project appear on the iPad.
But other changes I make in other projects, like adding a few words in notes, do seem to sync from Mac to iPad pretty rapidly.
Puzzling.

Yes, odd. Does it help just to leave the iPad and Mac Agenda apps running in the foreground attached to power for about an hour? Perhaps they will “catch up” if that is the issue.

Drew

No that didn’t help.
Here’s what I did that seems to have solved the problem.
I created a new project (temp project) on the Mac in the category (Main Projects) that has the project (writing ideas) that refuses to show up on iPad Agenda.
"temp project” quickly showed up on my iPad.
Then I moved the notes one at a time from “writing ideas” to “temp project” on the Mac.
All of them showed up on the iPad in “temp project” within a minute or so except one. That note would not show up on iPad Agenda. Even when I removed the content from that note, it still would not show up on iPad Agenda.
The content of the note was a reference to an item in DEVONthink Pro, with the DEVONthink item link as the link in Agenda. In other words, I selected the text in that Agenda note, used the Link To > Add Link command in Agenda, and pasted in the DT item link. DEVONthink’s item links are a very useful way to reference a particular file in DT’s database from another app.
So I deleted that note, and created a new note with the same title in Mac Agenda, but without the content or the DT link. It showed up quickly on iPad Agenda.
Finally, I deleted the project “writing ideas” from the “Main projects” category on the Mac. It was empty, but it still didn’t show up on the iPad before I deleted it from the Mac.
Then I renamed the “temp project” to “writing ideas” on Mac Agenda. iPad Agenda quickly picked up that change.
So it looks like I have a complete sync now between the two devices, although I haven’t checked everything out in detail. And it appears that the DEVONthink item link was the culprit. Not sure what to make of that. Maybe you guys can check it out. I do have DEVONthink To Go on the iPad, but I don’t think it supports DT’s item links.

One further thing. I use DEVONthink every day. If the DT item link was indeed the problem, I’d really love to have Agenda support them fully, i.e., click that link in an Agenda note and have it take me to the DT item. Maybe there is no way that this link would work in iPad Agenda right now, but I’d still like to have the note containing the DT link sync properly to Agenda on iPad.

Can you reproduce the sync issue by inserting another DT item link in a note, followed by some more edits? Do the latter no fail to sync over again?

It is very odd, and I wonder if the DevonThink link is just a coincidence. Be great if you could do a little experiment with a new temporary note and see if you can stop it syncing in the same way with a DL link.

Yes, I just tested with another note containing a DT link in a test project.
Result: no problem syncing to iPad version, very quickly. I moved the note to another project, the project including the note to a different category, and added text to the note containing the link. All of this synced with iPad Agenda with very little delay.
I guess the DT link wasn’t the issue. Glad to have it still useful. Agenda on iPad even offered to open DT To Go when I tapped the DT link, but DTTG doesn’t appear to support the item ID links that DT has on the Mac.

A post was split to a new topic: Partial and delayed sync

Hello,

My phone wont sync with my Mac, i already tried signing out on both devices but wont work, mi icloud store its full, i dont know if that has something to do with it.

Hi Jonas,

Yes, if your iCloud storage is full then sync between your devices won’t work as the new data can’t be stored.

Hi, Mark. How can I catch errors from Console? With which software?

Use the Mac Console app - /Applications/Utilities/Console. You can filter message on “Agenda” to find messages specifically from that application.

Hope that helps,

• Mark

Got it. Thank you:smiley: