Sync projects with GTD tools

I thought I’d share my thoughts from a thread I started – should’ve added them here in the first place.

I’m new to Agenda but very excited by it – I’m starting a long process of migrating my 1400+ notes in Apple Notes (and ditching as many of those as possible) to Agenda and I can’t wait to leave Apple Notes behind. Notes is just too generic for my taste and needs. Agenda has, well, an agenda; I like that it has an opinion, and the best part of its design is the idea of a timeline of notes.

I also love Things. But Agenda and Things have both divergences and overlaps. I have some thoughts on how they can work together.

Right now in Things I have lots of categories and projects (as with Agenda) and the overhead of aligning my notes and tasks between projects in Agenda and Things seems too much like busywork. The real value of Things for me is rapid recording of discrete tasks. The breakdown of Things tasks into categories/projects is less helpful to me though I slavishly obey the process.

And so it occurs to me that I can use Things for the rapid recording of tasks and Agenda for organising my work in timelines over the course of a project. In other words: use Things for its Inbox (and related Today/Upcoming/Anytime/Someday overviews) to capture tasks and then sort them into larger Agenda projects as needed.

I thought I’d share this since we’re all trying to figure out good workflows now – and if anyone has some thoughts on how to further improve on the thoughts I’ve shared.

Now just to ditch Apple Notes asap!

Thanks!

S.

4 Likes

That’s something I would quite like to do, but I’m surprised that you’ve been able to minimize your OF use to such an extent. Agenda isn’t yet big on hierarchy, which means the number of categories of things that can be made visible on one screen is quite small, and as yet there’s nothing like OF’s Focus view, to say nothing of OF’s perspectives, contexts, and Review function.

For a while to come, I think I’m going to be using the various integrations explained in this thread.

I personally am using Agenda like a more organised version of Notes and Things is keeping its role as my organised list of tasks. I think the two work together very well – they even look similar! I have them side-by-side on a split screen space.

S.

2 Likes

TBH I never used a lot of the features of OF. It is a very powerful app, but I used it more like an outliner with due date capabilities. And Agenda is well suited to that usage.

If you are using OF for more powerful things, you are probably best with a mix of the apps.

The 1.4 update will allow you to open the events in Fantastical.

Is this a premium feature???

No, it should work also in the free version, see Opening events in third-party calendar apps - #16 by mekentosj. Creating events is a premium feature.

2 Likes

I agree. Agenda, as soon as the iOS app is up and running, will replace my todo-apps and Evernote. The gap in my workflow is the lack of the iOS app.

3 Likes

I agree. Zapier allows me to select the app I would like to integrate with Agenda, like Trello and Slack.

1 Like

That would be very helpful for me, too

1 Like

I agree, I like the way agenda drive things into a date driven order that others miss, but there’s still functionality that Things has which is absent in Agenda.

A sensible workflow that doesn’t involve too much switching or cutting and pasting is hard to work out. I’m relatively new to Agenda so I can’t claim familiarity yet.

I can see it replacing Evernote for notes I make, but what about notes and clippings of websites etc? Will you do those in Agenda, or still in Evernote?

We are in the process of adding attachments. This allows any sort of file to be added to a note. It may be possible to support web archives in this way, as well as PDFs.

1 Like

When Agenda supports them, I will make the transition from Evernote to Agenda for storing web clippings, etc. I had some technical issues with Agenda which seems to have been fixed, so I hope to resume using it as the central focus of my daily workflow.

Is it for MacOS? Cos in iOS it doesn’t work that way. It only shows text from the note on the text field. No link

I was indeed referring to macOS, but at least the second option should work on iOS, ie, copying an Agenda Link and pasting that into another app.

1 Like

1 step closer to buying MacOS premium))

To anyone interested in using Agenda and Omnifocus in combination I encourage to have a look at the below video:

3 Likes

Very new to the app and loving it.

A big +1 for OmniFocus integration.

1 Like

I can not drag a task from Things to agenda on the iPad. It doesn’t work…I can drag from agenda to Things just fine.

Thanks for reporting this. Do you know if that worked before?

In any case, we will investigate. It is worth noting that you do need to have the cursor in the note to drag into Agenda.

Kind regards,
Drew