Sync projects with GTD tools

A link between Agenda and Things would be mindblowing for my use case.

Agenda and Things occupy very similar ground but offer a different aspect on it. Things the very short form, Agenda the detail. If the two could be automatically aligned it would be incredible.

11 Likes

Although I use Omnifocus, I agree with bill.standen.

What I want to happen with my workflow is that notes and long list of to dos and information, picture, etc. is stored in Agenda. It’s linked (maybe via URL) to Omnifocus, so I do not need to input all information and bullets to Omnifocus.

2 Likes

My suggestion is to begin by simply using the built in URL/link support that both apps provide. You can drag Things/Omnifocus items into Agenda, and get a backlink. Same the other way: you can click the cog on a note, and get an Agenda Link to paste into the other apps. (We are going to look into if we can have this work via dragging as well.)

5 Likes

Thanks. in the mean time, I’ll do that. Thanks

Wow! Turned out to be great! Sometimes, when I look at Omnifocus, I’m overcrowded with details that I do not need at the moment.

With agenda, now I could just focus with the project then, have the Subheading of Agenda linked to the Subprojects of Omnifocus.

Amazing!

4 Likes

I have owned Things for several years now, and it’s too much for me. I’ve attempted to start up with it several times and always get away from it. Now, I use Fantastical 2 and Notes for most everything I do.

Agenda hits the sweet spot for me - it’s the perfect combination of simplicity and functionality. I can do GTD in it by setting up a few categories without all the added complexity of Things - and use it as a great Notes replacement, as well.

However, integration with Fantastical 2 will be essential for me as I’ve noted in another thread. I do not use Calendar at all and without the 3rd party integration, Agenda is only 80% there. Hopefully this can be added as part of the paid upgrade soon.

3 Likes

Definitely an interesting topic, and one that I’m trying to mentally sort out. It seems like Agenda could easily replace my current task manager (Things) for about half of what I use it for, and with better results. But things like simple, repeating tasks (set out the trash every Wednesday, for example) are better left in Things. So the issue is how to take advantage of what Agenda offers without adding an overall layer of task-management complexity … and having to check two sets of lists instead of one.

I can’t come up with a workflow that efficiently addresses this, and will appreciate hearing what others are thinking, since this will be fundamental to Agenda’s use. Some sort of global sync would be ideal, of course, but there’d be substantial technical challenges in that, with diferent processes involved for each major task manager …

The 1.4 update will allow you to open the events in Fantastical.

4 Likes

Inegration with popular task managers is a big one for me here too. For any of us our Task manager is the foundation of our productivity. An app like Agenda may be useful but may also just add friction, confusion, clutter. Making the task manager, notes app, and calendar work harmoniously is still the missing link as far as I am concerned.

4 Likes

Just a thought on it. Was thinking it would be great if I could flag a note or a checklist item as “add to OmniFocus” (for example) and it would create a task in a project (of the same name) in omnifocus). Then conversely when the item is checked off (in either omnifocus or agenda) it would be completed in both. Not sure how feasable this is but it would be really nice.

4 Likes

Thanks. We have ideas for those types of extensions. Stay tuned!

6 Likes

Yes! Nice suggestion. I also would love to have a feature like this!

Excited for this!

If integration with other apps is a plan, can I put in a plug for Spark? I love how Spark lets me add emails directly into OneNote and Evernote and Pocket right from their app… So much of our work continues to be done via email, it would really make Agenda a powerful tool for tracking conversations related to specific projects. Thanks!

6 Likes

just my 2 cents worth- integration w Todoist, would be great

TQ

8 Likes

Definitely agree with the above - Agenda seems like it could be the perfect intersection of notes, tasks and calendars so integrations with apps like Todoist would be extremely helpful. Maybe as an initial step their could be room in the sidebar (where the calendar currently appears) for the today section of an app like Todoist or Things?

Would be great if deeper integrations (like the idea of tasks being created in Agenda appearing in other apps) could be introduced in the future but appreciate that you have a lot on your plate!

+1 to that! would be great

A seamless integration with Omnifocus would be great!

3 Likes

So how exactly did you do this?? :thinking: I use Omnifocus with Agenda Notes as well. And I am trying to figure out how to link them to each other… Thanks

1 Like

Hi,

Oh, what I did was just drag the project/subproject to agenda notes. You have to start with Calendar /Agenda though not the other way around (Starting with Omnifocus). But until Agenda supports integration completely to task managers, linking is not sufficient.

What I hope is that I could start with Omnifocus, click a URL linked to an Agenda note where I could find the details of the Task at OF. That would limit the information found in OF.

Hope this helps.

1 Like