Sub categories / Sub Projects

I’ve got a massive project (and I ain’t boastin’)

But seriously I’ve got a project that has now taken up multiple projects and categories and I can’t see a way of streamlining with only one category or without the ability to create sub projects.

Eg

Domain (a category)
-Topic (a project)
— Notes

Domain 2

• Topic
    — Notes

If I had sub categories then it would look like

Everything in my project (master category)
Domain (sub category)
Topic

I’d then be able to see all my non project notes better too.

Thanks!

6 Likes

+1

I would also be interested to have sub categories and sub projects, and associate the last ones to meetings in my calendars.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. We certainly plan to allow nesting at some point, as well as reordering.

Drew

3 Likes

Having the ability to nest and sub-categorize will help a lot in big projects. Would love to have this feature soon as I am still waiting for it and couple of other features before I migrate to Agenda.

1 Like

Guys - can we have a brief update on this request?

1 Like

After the inline images, I hope that this would be next. :slight_smile:

It’s something we certainly want to get to before long. Plan for after images is to work on performance, undo, and languages. After that, we will see where we are at, but this is certainly something we are planning to do before long.

2 Likes

+1 for category/project nesting. This will be critical for me to continue using Agenda. Love everything else. Keep up the great work.

Great! That works!

Guys- could you comment on this request?

See the comment from Drew above:

1 Like

+1 for sub projects or the ability to have nested folders beyond the current limit.

I’ve asked a couple of times about handwriting recognition - but I’d really rather have the ability to break projects down at least one more level than to use my Apple Pencil.

Last update is from December 18. Any new news on this?

We don’t have an ETA yet I’m afraid, but still among The features we are working on right now…

Just adding my Plus 1 here.

2022 - another plus for sub categories within topics. Somehow it doesn’t make sense to me to have seperate sub categories the way it’s organized now. For my workflow I much prefer to hav3 them within my created topics and projects. Any chance??

1 Like

I think that would just get way too messy.

What we are adding, which may help, are block quotes and other types of text sections. you could perhaps use those to add extra structure.

Note also you can just indent text. That is also a good way to add structure.

Apart from that, consider collapsing and expanding notes while working. This acts a little bit like collapsible sections.

One last thing: if you select multiple projects, they both show in the right panel, as two separate sections. Perhaps this is along the lines of what you would like. It looks much like subprojects.

I have to admit that while the concept of projects and subprojects feels perfectly natural to me, I have real trouble wrapping my head around the concept of sub-categories. Because of this, I’ve never used one in the time I’ve used Agenda (while i would have often created subprojects if it was possible).

It could be a naming-related problem? Because “sub-category” does not evoke anything to me, I’m not using them, even though I could benefit from the functionality they bring?

Hi Vincent, Subprojects is exactly what I meant. In a project I would like to add a subproject one level deeper where I can store related data, feedback, for that project. Thanx for helping me clarify, I chose a wrong word.
For example I work in Taiwan, so have a category Taiwan under which I list my several Projects. What I would love to do would be to have a subproject possibility to add related data
Catagory Name
Project
….subproject
Project
….subproject

this was my idea.

1 Like

This is already possible but through subcategories, you can create subcategories in the sidebar (by clicking/tapping the three orange dots next to the category name) for what you call “Projects” that contain subprojects. Note that this is a premium feature.

One thing to consider would be to do the following:

Taiwan (category)
Client X (subcategory)
… Project A (project)
… Project B (project)
Client Y (subcategory)
… Project 1 (project)
… Project 2 (project)

If you feel you then miss the “top level” project, you can always do:

Taiwan (category)
Client X (subcategory)
… Client X (project)
… Project A (project)
… Project B (project)
Client Y (subcategory)
… Client Y (project)
… Project 1 (project)
… Project 2 (project)

Where you could use the same name as the subcategory for a “general” project.