Spacing between lines

We have plans to give more control over the appearance of the text styles, including line heights. But I wanted to point out that the line height in Agenda is quite normal. It is almost identical to that used in Bear (see screenshot).

Where people probably think it is bigger is that the paragraph spacing in Agenda is bigger. In Bear and other apps, there is no paragraph spacing at all, just the normal line spacing, and you actually have to type two enters to get a new paragraph. That comes from the fact that they are markdown editors, where double enter is a new paragraph.

Agenda uses standard styled text conventions, such as in Pages. You use a single enter for a new paragraph. To make a list, you use a list style, etc. If you stick to these basic conventions, you documents look fantastic. So much better than double spaced markdown IMO

1 Like

I’d like to put in a plug for adjustable line spacing.

I’m a journalist and new Agenda user. There are lots of ways in which I prefer it to Tinderbox. However, I’ve decided I simply can’t use it if it makes all text double spaced. I take a lot of notes. They are just too long in Agenda. Spacing is more important to me even than tyopgraphy choice. I hope you will consider moving this request up your list. When you do, I will be back. Great work on a cool app!

Best,

John B

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, John. We do have plans to add settings for this.

Note that it is not double spaced. I don’t think it is even 1.5, but it is a little more spread out.

3 Likes

That’s fantastic, Drew. For me at least, that will be so useful. It will make me feel a lot more comfortable putting lots of content in (e.g, interview notes, etc.)

I’ve found myself using Agenda instead of Tinderbox quite a lot these past two weeks. Having everything in one app where it is all visible at once, it’s preferable to separate documents. And Tinderbox is cool but complex. I’m also using it in conjunction with Omnifocus (which I view with a m mixture of fondness and exasperation). It’s helpful to have a bit more context around certain to dos. Anyway, great app and clearly getting better all the time.

Best,

John

2 Likes

+1 for a different space between lines.

I use agenda for telegraphic notes like meeting notes and bullet points.
I think is even more important to have the possibility to have regular spaces between paragraphs considering that in a “telegraphic” approach every line is basically a different paragraph.

Anyway remember that sometimes is really useful to start a new line even if you don’t want to start a new block of text like I did in my second paragraph in this post. I think that readability for every subjective purpose is a must have for a note application.
My advice is to consider the possibility to start a new line with regular spacing like every text editor and not just adding an option for line spacing in the settings.

Thanks for listening our feedback.

3 Likes

I would like to +1 this request (request++).
And I am not talking about the space between paragraphs (I actually like the spacing between paragraphs), but the spacing between lines in the same paragraph is a bit too mush to what other applications use (from this website, to the terminal on Mac, to even regular text editors that don’t rely on markdown… eg: Sublime Text).

2 Likes

I’d also like to see control of line spacing as a preference. I’d like control of line spacing for lines in a single paragraph and line spacing between paragraphs.

4 Likes

+1 also on the ability to reduce space between lines and paragraphs…
I hope it’s coming soon. Especially on iOS !

2 Likes

+1 for spacing, images + spacing and I am in

+1 on adjustable spacing. I’d rather have to put in two return/enter keystrokes for more spacing.

I just paid for the Mac and iOS versions and was disappointed to see the line spacing. I was hoping for a replacement for Apple’s Notes app but the look of the text is a near show-stopper.

The text looks great in Agenda IMO, much better than in Apple Notes. But, of course, if you have double spaced the text, it will not look great. We use a return to mean end-of-paragraph, which is how it should be, and was, before the web polluted formatting with double returns because they couldn’t make decent web editors.

We do have plans to allow control over text and line spacing, so in future you would be able to use the double return. I recommend against it if you want stunning looking documents, because then paragraph spacing is tightly coupled to line spacing, but it will be possible.

Hi there,

I would like to +1 this too.
The main reason is because I like to copy and paste texts into your app from websites, Apple Notes, Microsoft Word, etc.

I used to use Apple Notes before I started using Agenda, and I created years and years of pretty large notes which I plan on importing into Agenda.

Whenever I do so via the ‘file > import > Apple Notes’ function or just by copy and pasting, it leaves big gaps on the places I used an “ENTER” and/or “RETURN” on (see attachment).

This really takes a lot of “SHIFT + ENTER”-ing to fix all this.
Because of the way it imports, it’s just barely readable for the “perfectionistic-dyslectic” I happen to be.

I understand where you’re coming from after reading this whole topic (which is quite amusing by the way), but I just can’t imagine people finding my example in the attachment better for the readability.

Well, thank you so much for the creation of this almost perfect App!
Have a wonderful day!

1 Like

This is the ”before” (created in Apple Notes).

Apple%20Notes

2 Likes

I have the same issue as FranklinTheebe My notes are MUCH less readable in Agenda vs Bear. This is a big deal for me, so I’m a huge +1 for a “single space option”.

Readability depends on the types of notes you are taking.

1. “Paragraph" Type notes (anything with few paragraphs) benefit from the extra spacing when you press enter.
  2. “List” or shorthand notes (anything with many paragraphs) benefit from single spaces. This is because notes drag out into an extremely long, unreadable note due to how many lines there are.

Here is a truncated example, it’s much worse than it seems because I have to scroll down a long, long time to find what i’m looking for in agenda. I’d go as far to say this is the single biggest thing preventing me from switching.

1 Like

Have you considered using a list, perhaps with indentation? That would indeed make it much more compact.

Note that on the Mac it is possible to use CTRL-return to get a line break with no paragraph break.

We plan to add control over paragraph spacing. The downside is that if you do make it the same as line spacing, it affects all your notes. The pseudo notes may look OK, but document like notes will look much worse.

Anyway, it will be a choice when we get to it.

Did you write these yourself or import them from notes yourself? You can use control-return to insert a soft-return if you want things to be treated as a single paragraph.

I’m still using Agenda and it’s almost perfect but this soft-return with control-return is something that I can’t really understand.
Every text editor works using return in a different way. Why should Agenda be different?? Did you consider at least to have an option to disable this feature?
Thanks!

Every text editor works using return in a different way.

This is not entirely true. It’s just that in most (simple) text editors there is no difference being made between a line wrap and a real new paragraph. As a result to get a bit of spacing between paragraphs you need to insert two returns in such apps. In more advanced text editors like Word and also Agenda there is a difference. We do plan on adding a preference setting for the amount of paragraph spacing you’d like to see.

Now you’re talking! :+1:

I’m trying with Word and (with default options) it works just like Apple Notes and all the other editors. Looks like there’s no difference between a line wrap and a real new paragraph. Am I missing something?

1 Like