Searching and Filtering

When I create a search, I’d like to see a way to order them all by Date rather than Date by Project.

We’ve indeed seen this request more often, to basically not have them grouped by project right, we’ll do our best to add that option.

4 Likes

I know it’s early days, and looking forward to this evolving!

But, I’m trying to work out how to handle tasks and due dates. I’ve played around with #due and relative dates. Cool, though a date selector pop up would be useful to visualise and select a date (thinking… after the weekend, but not Tuesday etc)

And then, there’s an awful lot of typing to create a task and give it due date:

• type the md for checklist
  • write the actual task
  • type the md to create due date
  • type the actual date
  • type #action

I suppose the checklist isn’t essential but it’s visually powerful. And when I check the task off as done, it still appears in the #due search! I can understand why at the moment, but in future surely the check list should actually interact with the #due tag in some way to delete or disable it. Perhaps recording the date it was ticked off or done - as part of the notes!

I also suppose I don’t need to use #due and #action. In fact #action is redundant! Unless I wanted to emulate Things’s ‘sometime’ tasks with #sometime.

Not sure if it’s my syntax, or what, but searching #due(after 1 March) or #due(before Monday) is no different to #due.

So, for now I think I need to stick with Things, but unfortunately selecting text and adding to Things using Services or keyboard commands doesn’t create a back link to Agenda. I can copy the Agenda link and paste it into Things, but it would be cool to have this happen automatically.

Not complaining! I know these things take time!

2 Likes

Yes, we are certainly thinking about how we can best handle dates with list items and the like. That is quite a big project. The due support in there now is pretty rudimentary, almost experimental. We aren’t emphasizing it that much at this point. But we have ambitions to become a lot more powerful in those areas.

4 Likes

I’ve been using #due (date) to track tasks that have a deadline, and #action for tasks that don’t have a particular deadline - like ‘sometime’ in Things.

Just tried creating a search to find all tasks: #due OR #action but Boolean search doesn’t seem to be supported.

I suppose I could use #due without a date instead of #action, but psychologically it feels wrong.

Perhaps I should do that for now, while waiting for a more sophisticated task system.

2 Likes

Boolean searches are not yet supported indeed, on our list.

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Confusion about search

I would like to support s.newave’s post. It is difficult to find a person’s you have tagged amongst a miriad other lines of text that may be also tagged to differing people as well. A way to just see the line that is tagged for a person would be very very helpful and practical for following up to do lists for individuals

1 Like

I agree!!! Please please support even for a saved search for “- [ ]”

The ability to gather filtered notes in saved and continually updated overviews presents a lot of potential for research purposes. Still, the fact that we can attach tags to individual paragraphs provides serious advantages because mark your texts in a more granular fashion. It would be fantastic if we could gather individual paragraphs marked with a particular tag or a combination of tags into a new note that we could print or export for further processing. Agenda could thus become a new form of idea management tool!

6 Likes

Yes, this is certainly a feature we plan to add down the track.

Drew

1 Like

I would also like the option that when you mark an item as finished that it disappears from the list.

1 Like

+1 on this. Would love to see a completed note to drop to the bottom of the project.

2 Likes

I’d like that too!

1 Like

Me too, or a view pane that filtered only for due tags or action tags.

Is there a way to limit a search to just the projects within a category? I have categories for Family, Work etc. and when “at work” I’d like my ‘on agenda list’ to reflect that using a saved search. Is this possible?

3 Likes

You can’t do it directly, but you can select all the projects in the category, and then do a search. It will be limited to the selected projects (ie that category).

How do make that a saved search? For instance if I select all the projects under the ‘work’ category and select the ‘on agenda’ search, it gives me the expected results: only ‘on agenda’ items from the selected projects.

But, when I save this search and return to it, it ‘forgets’ the selected projects

1 Like

But, when I save this search and return to it, it ‘forgets’ the selected projects

Indeed, currently saved searches are always across all projects, hopefully we can add more options down the line.

1 Like

I also feel this is an important feature - category or project based search. Right now, in searches (which can be saved) I can indicate tags using # and people using @. It would be great if there was a way of indicating projects, or categories, in saved searches using some symbol like $ or % etc.

1 Like

Could I search the notes outside Agenda? e.g. from os x spotlight or iOS shortcut. Because I hope I could search across the apps. There are difference notes apps for difference purpose. E.g. Agenda for daily notes, Ulysses for writing articles(because Agenda could not insert picture right now) and evernote for clipping. Everytime when I need find a note I need search in three different notes. And I check all the topics in Howto, such as this one and Sharing, Import, Export, and Printing - #42 .