Search your notes and find the info you need instantly with Agenda 19

Want to see what’s new in Agenda 19 ? In this video I’ll go over the redesigned search and show how it’s simpler yet more powerful…

Chapters:

5 Likes

My daily tool for everything! Thanks for this update, now my meeting tasks and patient pendencies are going to be easily accessible

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind words @artehur :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi, when I search for a word it jumps to the relevant note the word is in but it doesn’t highlight the wird within the note. Why?

1 Like

It’s something that will return in a future update

Please make it return. For me search is almost useless if I can’t find it within a particular note. It’s like needing to search for a word in a document but you’re only allowed to search on your computer for the document the word is located in. This is a really basic feature and I don’t understand why it’s gone.

2 Likes

We completely changed search in Agenda. Results are now presented in a popover, instead of inline in your notes. This has a bunch of advantages:

• It is much, much faster
  • It doesn’t disturb what you are working on unless you explicitly choose a result
  • It integrates with Spotlight, and as a result, will also integrate with upcoming AI from Apple

These changes meant search was completely different to how it was implemented before. The old way of moving through a long list of files, with the highlights, was replaced with the new way.

The new system does not work with specific locations in notes. It just says “this note has the word”. So we lost a little functionality in the process, and rather than delay the whole release, we decided to postpone that particular feature (…since most notes in Agenda tend to be quite short anyway).

The good news is that we haven’t forgotten about it, and will be working to add highlighting of words back on the matching note, so you can more easily see where the match occurs.

5 Likes

I have the same question. It’s nice that it shows what document the word appears in but it doesn’t highlight to word. If it’s a long document jumping to the word you’re searching for would be very helpful.

Yep, we are working on it now. We expect it to be in Agenda 19.1

Indeed. Agenda has become pretty much useless to me now as a result of this basic functionality disappearing. “It’s something that will return in a future update” just doesn’t cut it. Scrivener all the way for me now, I’m afraid.

What we are adding back is much better. Already in beta testing.

When doing a shortcut in iOS and testing for case when a note is not found, I was surprised that it gave me a note from trash/bin and there seems to be no way to exclude trash/bin from search.

I guess that is probably a bug. We definitely try to avoid the trash when searching in the app. We probably missed it when searching via a shortcut. Thanks for reporting it.

I created a new shortcut to test and only uses Agenda in the phone and it doesn’t seems to have the trash/bin issue. Very strange. Since I was using the desktop and mobile version to trash notes earlier, maybe there was some kind of sync/cache issue.

More likely it’s that the old version of the shortcut was created with the previous version of Agenda that behaved differently?