Search within PDFs

Hi guys,

Excellent job you have done so far!

I thought I would request a useful feature. Word search within a PDF, is this something that you have on your future list of updates?

Best wishes,
D

4 Likes

You mean search within attached PDFs? We currently donā€™t index these indeed, itā€™s something weā€™d like to do at some point but other things have a higher priority at the moment Iā€™m afraid.

1 Like

Iā€™m grateful that itā€™s even on your list. :blush:

1 Like

But you even donā€™t index the comment or ā€œfile nameā€ that I enter to any PDF. Canā€™t even search for this. :disappointed_relieved:

Good point, weā€™ll try to add that at an earlier point already.

2 Likes

+1 to this one. Iā€™d like to search through PDF content attached to notes. Evernote does this really well, and I donā€™t need it quite as good as that but if I use an app like Notability or Goodnotes for example that produces a PDF with text extracted from my handwriting and I attach the PDF to a note Iā€™d like Agenda to search through those PDFs

1 Like

+1 here too. I just started using Agenda, but I canā€™t get rid of my premium everrnote subscription without this - I use PDFs in research and have to have them search-able. Thanks!

1 Like

I agree, PDF indexing is a must have.
OCR is also quite important, I switched from Bear to Notes.app after leaving Evernote because of this.

Isnā€™t this built in with the new vision API from Apple?

1 Like

Alas, some parts are built-in, others arenā€™t. Plus whatā€™s provided is very low level, so not exactly plug-and-play unfortunately. We will however look at this again when we get to our planned search-overhaul.

Another request for this, or has it been added since this thread is 3 years old?

Not yet available no, will be part of a larger search overhaul weā€™ll plan to happen in 2023

1 Like

hi any update on this? Thanks

Not at this point. We are busy with adding privacy features in Agenda 18 at this point. Will try to get to it in a future update. Sorry for the wait.

1 Like

I recognise that you have said this will be after v.18 but I just wanted to add my +1 for spotlight search within PDF files.

One solution for the immediate future would be to use Hookmark deep links for PDFs. It does a lot more than this and works great with Agenda.

Hook ā€“ Links beat searching

1 Like

+1 Using Kindle Scribe for notes, can send searchable PDF, canā€™t search yet in Agenda. Would be a good feature as I want to use Agenda as authoritative notebook. Search is important.

1 Like

Jumping in to throw a +1 for this much needed feature. OCR and documents/PDFs searchable is a huge plus.

Read there was a big ā€˜Searchā€™ overhaul planned for 2023. Has this feature been dropped or is still to come?

Asking because being I literally found Agenda and within maybe 2-3 days went all in because I loved what I briefly seen and would very much :heart: for Agenda be my one and only needed writing app.

Search feature is in progress now, and due for release as Agenda 19. Will take this along. Thanks!

2 Likes

Huge thank you for the response! So hyped to grow with Agenda, been building up my projects and notes like a lunatic and loving everything about Agenda!

Iā€™ve been using PDFPenPro for quite a while soā€¦For the adventurous Agenda users who have need for OCR of PDFs I ran across this post and thought it might be worth looking into for the meantime.