Search function needs improvements

Search does not work.

For instance, if I want to find “on site” there is no way to perform this search:

• Just the words on site match either the words “on” or “site” which is pretty much every message.
  • Using quotes like “on site” does not modify this behavior.
  • Trying on-site also does not modify the behavior (and wouldn’t have worked anyhow).

This is sad. I really need to find some content. Too many notes, no way to find it.

4 Likes

There’s definitely room for improvement, boolean searches and ideally also phrase searching are on our wishlist too.

Ps. I’ve edited the topic title, we kindly ask to keep the language appropriate and not use all caps etc.

2 Likes

Search definitely needs improvement. Even TextEdit supports phase search, so the features listed by @anon69364508 are the very basic features that any users expect.

Does Agenda not use macOS’ Search Kit (Apple Developer Documentation)? I felt the lack of search features in Agenda strange, because they are usually the features provided by API, not something individual app developers need to implement themselves. Maybe there is some reason for the lack of search features in Agenda, but the point is that the requested search features are something very basic at least to users, because most text editors support them through API.

Given that Agenda is only 2 years old and we’re also a two-man team, there are definitely still areas that are very basic, this is one. Another one is for example the lack of a tag editor and tag-autocompletion. We will address them in future updates, but there’s only 24h in a day and such… See also The features we are working on right now…

I’ll add a +1 for boolean and phrase search (boolean is more important because I can create phrases that way) - it’s actually fairly crucial. From my perspective, this is a basic utility rather than a flourish.

I don’t know if I just missed it, but I don’t see the boolean search in the upcoming features. Is there a timeline for it?

No timeline but definitely on our to-do list.

I agree with the rest of the people in the post, macOS search kit, boolean and phrase searches and so on. Skimming over cluststered words, having like strength of color to indicate how ”relevant” it is to the typed string would make my day.

An aditional question, do you put out updates for apple eco system along side PC ecosystem or do they overlap each other?

However, I very much like the indexing of hash-tags so far, as to skim through and connect different documents. Lovie it, keep the god work up! :muscle:

@mekentosj do you have any idea of the date or time Agenda will enhance the search functions?

Alas, not yet.

I’ve got quite some notes on Agenda after more than one yeaf of using it. I now got to this thread in hope to learn when Search will get at least to a level which is standard for many other apps today. The last reply from support was one year ago. Are there any news about the plans or status now, one year after?

We will be starting this project later this year. It is a big project, but it is going to be our focus second half of this year.