Other sync solution than iCloud needed

Append daily lists to a master file in Google Docs for starters. Generate a new Google Doc from an agenda note. Most of this is admittedly Google being so closed off, I get that, and it frustrates me that they can’t read markdown. Mostly I am trying to get to where I can use Agenda everyday, append what I am working on to a google doc or generate an entirely new one, and then hopefully get to where I just have to review said google docs once a week and review them, organize for sharing.

1 Like

I’m also willing to admit my workflow is scrambled as hell right now! But I don’t really know what else to do, a google doc is so unintuitive to open and the file organization system in google drive is deplorable. I don’t even know that I need full sync (I don’t fully know what system would work best for me, I’m staying humble about my ability to discern the best work route).

I really don’t mean to be sour, and I know Agenda is relatively new. I paid for the app cause I believe in it, and I know the inherent difficulties in accomplishing what I am complaining about. I respect the difficulty and work that goes into creating something that is both simple and powerful, because in a different manner of speaking, that’s the kind of stuff I have to write day in and day out. I appreciate the effort you all put into the app. But it’s so frustrating when (especially the Bear community) goes “well, sounds like a ‘you’” problem. Idk, 800 million people use google drive. I know I’m not the only one who loves these indie apps but laments not being able to truly integrate it.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining that in more detail. To be honest, what you describe doesn’t sound like a sync solution but more an integration solution, the ability to “sync” a note with a google note, or import/export a google doc document. Definitely could be nice to add indeed, can see a definitive use case, but it’s something else then sync with say google drive or dropbox.

1 Like

Entirely possible! Yeah, I mean, I am quite honestly not looking to really store everything on google drive because it’s so inelegant. I just need a concise way to pivot between apps. I entirely admit I don’t know how that would best be accomplished

1 Like

I’d like to throw in a vote for more sync options, too. In my case I’m a OneDrive user, but I understand others use Google Drive and so on.

I’m a huge fan of Agenda but it’s getting to the point where I will have to stop using it soon, simply because the current Apple iCloud data limit, on a free account, of 5 Gb is not enough. I consume most of this with device backups (no photos or other large files included).

Anyway, thanks to the Ageda team for keeping this option in mind and I will watch with interest to see how things go.

1 Like

I think it would be worth considering upgrading your iCloud. I think the first level is not that expensive, maybe $1 a month. To me, that is a worthwhile amount to pay for backups and not having to worry about running out of room.

We do support Dropbox, so you could use that. I believe they have a free tier that is reasonable too.

We can add other options, but they each require quite a lot of development and testing, and we prefer to add new features at this point. Perhaps down the track we can consider others.

2 Likes

I appreciate the advice, Drew. I’ll consider it it but budgetary constraints mean I have to be a bit selective.

1 Like

My issue is not actually with having to upgrade storage space. I have plenty at my personal Gdrive account. That’s not a problem at all for me.

The problem is that I am not allowed to use my personal storage space for work purposes. My employer has strict data policies that does not allow me to use any storage other than their own Google Drive Suite.

It would be amazing if we could have more syncing options.

Hi -
it’s amazing that this thread is still active since about 14 months… and it is still an important missing feature that prevents me to use Agenda for my work life.
Here in Germany we have a DSGVO, in french it is called RGPD, in english it is GDPR = General Data Protection Regulation. In short it prevents to store information and personal data of clients on a server that doesn’t operates conforming to that rules. This also addresses the transfer of personal data outside the EU and EEA areas.
And this is why I need another sync solution than iCloud or Dropbox.
Please.WebDav. Owncloud. Some lonely NAS in the corner of my office…

2 Likes

Do you see the problem here? You can’t believe there are not more sync options, and then proceed to mention two, in addition to the many that others are mentioning.

The issue is this: everyone wants their own sync backend. I’m afraid it is not going to happen. I have just spent 2 weeks working only on the Dropbox backend. It is very expensive (timewise) to support these backends.

We will consider what we can do down the track, but we already spent a lot of effort to add a second sync backend. Most apps don’t even both with that.

1 Like

Drew, yes I see that everyone in this thread wants his very own sync option aka cloud service (and I admire the energy you put into this subject). I don’t want to use a cloud – and I am not allowed to use a cloud at all.
So all I want to mention is a sync solution that works locally.

Ultimately, there are only two types of users: those who have no problem with a cloud, and those for whom it is a problem and who therefore need to sync locally.
I belong to the latter group.

2 Likes

I hear you. There is a possibility that we could support webdav at some point. But there is not a huge demand for it, so I’m afraid it is lower in priority than other projects at the moment.

1 Like

Hey there,

Your app is by far one of the most beautifully designed and very thoughtfully put together to push productivity and organization to their limits! I’ve tried other apps such as Standard Notes, turtl, etc., but have always been put off by some issues (for e.g. Standard Notes requires an internet connection to display “themes” such as lists, etc.).

I would like to add my “voice” to the feature requests in this thread. One of the early suggestions was how 1Password sync their vaults, either using their service (which also isn’t an option in certain cases, such as vaults used for work), or using WLAN sync, where the laptop (or desktop) is the “main” database and the iOS and Android devices can sync to it when connected via LAN and the 1Password application is open (and unlocked) on each device.

Omnigroup also achieve this (albeit with a LOT less practicality) with their OmniPresence application (I’m not very technical when it comes to network applications, webdav, etc, and am having great difficulty setting this up on OmniFocus for example, especially when end-to-end encryption is enabled).

Two key points to consider here:

1- If you employ end-to-end encryption (properly secure implementations), you make “selling” the idea of using iCloud, Dropbox, or any other cloud storage provider much more compelling. In this case, when the implementation is done very securely, it doesn’t really matter how the data is being synced, as no matter where it goes, it can’t be read. Here, it’s important to implement this from the ground up, and not enable it as an optional feature (examples are messaging apps, where for example Signal, Threema, etc. use end-to-end encryption, whereas Telegram is an opt-in for conversations).

2- I am FOR enabling sync to services such as Cryptomator (referenced by the OP in his March '18 post), or Boxcryptor, which is a similar app, as they both open up encryption for so many cloud storage providers, including iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Box, etc. They take care of the technical implementation (setting up own WebDAV server, setting up E2E encryption on it, etc), but simply offering a “portal” through which you access your E2E encrypted files easily.

I truly hope you will be able to implement something soon, as I’m struggling to find something as simple as a note taking app which is beautifully designed and practical and secure all at the same time!

Thank you,
Johnny

3 Likes

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, encryption, and end-to-end encryption are things we would like to do. Definitely on the roadmap.

Kind regards,
Drew

2 Likes

I second this, I would love to sync to my Synology Device. (CalDAV via WebDAV or something).

3 Likes

Please include WebDAV sync, since this will allow for using own/private WebDAV servers and thus will be a first step to achieve more security, before developing end to end encryption. Security is imperative for professional use of Agenda as note taking app ! Thus WebDAV support and end to end encryption should be the first and most important topic on our Agenda !!!
Thank you for your understanding

1 Like

Unfortunately, I think only a small percentage of our customers know or have access to webdav. The end-to-end is probably a better approach, and may not be that much more difficult.

But we’ll keep all this in mind. Thanks for the feedback!

+1 for webdav and E2E encryption for increased security.

3 Likes

1970: I think only a small percentage need a Computer…

People will always learn, also you get additional customers.

1 Like