More compact text layout

As the number of my notes increases, I’m finding that the font size and formatting is taking up a lot of what feels like unnecessary screen space.

This isn’t a request for an option to change font size (though that option would be good). Rather it’s for the designer to use their skills to maximise the number of notes that I can get an overview of on one page, while keeping it an aesthetically pleasing experience.

Incidentally, whenever I look at a list of notes, I find I have created a wasted space by typing one or two returns at the end of many notes. Partly this is a habit of using return to signal I’ve stopped writing or to activate a tag; I should try and use spacebar instead. But also, it’s because at the end of a list I’m trying to make the bullet on the last empty line disappear; must try and use delete instead.

That said, perhaps an option for Agenda to tidy up notes on the fly would be useful - on exiting a note to delete:

• at the end of the note, any empty returns (including empty bullet)
  • in the body of the text, to delete any double returns
  • in the body, any empty bullets

This falls into the category text editor configuration options, see The features we are working on right now…

1 Like

Update: In the 2.1 update it is possible to change the text size of your notes just like a web browser (under the View menu, or by typing CMD+ and CMD- shortcuts), it includes the option to go to a more compact size:

1 Like

This is a critical issue now that the iOS version has been released. Overall love the app but the wasted space on the iPad in terms of excessive Name/Title size and overall line spacing in every facet of the app and individual notes is a deal breaker, IMHO.

2 Likes

Have you tried playing with the “Notes Text Size” slider in the Preferences (iOS)? You can achieve a denser layout which is probably more in line with your expectations.

Yes, I’ve used it for the Body text font, but it seems to have little effect on the Heading/sub-heading Font or spacing.

1 Like

It should affect note titles and spacing as well… like in macOS. Could you please double check that and let us know?

In the MacOS version you can press “control”+”enter” to get what I would call single spacing, which I prefer most of the time. However, I have not seen this in the iOS version. Is it in there somewhere and I am just not finding it? This is one of the things I would like to be able to change as the default. I typically don’t like the wide spacing. I’m sorry if this comment is out of place here. I love the app overall.

Thanks,

Font does decrease (or increase) but spacing remains relative and wasteful. I assume having the wheel at the lower right corner adds to the spacing. Move?

1 Like

EXACTLY! and I don’t think the comment is out of place.:wink:

In the MacOS version you can press “control”+”enter” to get what I would call single spacing, which I prefer most of the time. However, I have not seen this in the iOS version.

We haven’t got it yet in the iOS app, it’s on our to-do list.

2 Likes

This is what’s stopping me from using Agenda fully as opposed to the native Notes app. There’s too much spacing between lines and it looked awkward, much like a teenager instead of a mature product. Hopefully we will have options to configure this.

1 Like