Memory Leak?

What I did:

I imported all my Evernote and Notes.app notes and started to do some clean up in Agenda.

What happened:

Agenda is now very slow. I have around 20 projects and 600 notes, some are very long and my include attached pictures/files.

During my clean up macOS warned me that all my system’s memory was used.
image%20(1)

What I expected:

Things that might be helpful to know (Agenda version, OS and model, etc):

Agenda version : 6.0 (84)
Model : MacBook Pro 2016 (13"), 16 Go RAM, 2,9 GHz i5

If you quit and launch again, does the memory usage go down? The original problem may have been the import.

But yes, if you have a lot of data, it may be better to split it up, or even use different apps for different types of note taking.

Hi,

Yes, I quitted the app and tried to continue my cleanup after, I got the same screen and had to force quit Agenda one more time.

Agenda cannot handle 600 notes? That seems like a low limitation.

What do the developers recommend as the maximum amount of data stored in Agenda? I wouldn’t know how to “split it up” since it seems Agenda’s database is “all or nothing” at present.

Is there a report that I could send you to investigate ? Should I use Valgrind ?
Agenda’s storage folder is not that huge, it only weights 320 Mo.

I really love Agenda, but this sounds like a show stoper at this time …

I made a sampling with Activity Monitor :wink:

But I can’t upload it ass I’m a new user. Did this sample could have some interest for you ?

Could you email it to alex@agenda.com?

Done :slight_smile:

Hi,
I have the same observation. The memory consumption is slowly increasing even if I do not work with Agenda and I am just browsing on the Internet. It roughly 0,01Gb increases every 10-15 minutes. It affects the smoothness of the UI elements as well. The elements are slow, and scrolling is lagging as well with higher RAM consumption. I would love to have that resolved rather sooner than later. It could affect my decision of purchasing the app again.

If there is something you would need from me, please do not hesitate and contact me.
Thank you

1 Like

Could you also send a sample to drew@agenda.com the next time this happens?

I agree, there is indeed a consumption of memory (up to 1,5 GB (sic!) of RAM for like 50 notes after soe days) if the app is open, but not used.

We have investigated and found a memory leak. Only small, but over several days could build up. The fix will be in the next release.

Great! Thanks!

1 Like

That is great! Thank you. When we can expect the update?

No ETA yet, but likely within the next 2-3 weeks.

I just updated to version 9.1 from the App Store. Agenda is continuously using 200% CPU and increasing its memory usage - already up to 18GB in just 10 minutes of usage after updating. I’m not doing anything in the app. Just before the update I was prompted by the system to quit something because the system had run out of memory - and Agenda was using 100GB.

Sample of Agenda.txt (579.5 KB)

Are you syncing with Dropbox? Does this issue go away if you turn off the Dropbox sync?

Yes I’m syncing with Dropbox.

• I started up Agenda again and within 3 minutes it was using over 3GB - with Dropbox sync enabled.
  • Then I turned off dropbox sync, quit Agenda and started it again. After 3 minutes it was remaining stable using 190MB of memory and 0% CPU.
  • Third I turned on Dropbox sync again (without quitting Agenda) and signed into Dropbox to ‘Allow’ access. I let it run for a couple of minutes and then restarted Agenda. In both cases, after turning on Dropbox sync again, Agenda behaved well, only using a max of about 10% CPU, often less, and using about 300+/-50MB of memory.

So it seems to have fixed itself after disabling and then enabling dropbox sync again.

BTW on a dropbox-sync related note, Agenda on my iphone wasn’t syncing with dropbox, and I had to delete the app and reinstall to get it to sync again. This has happened before as well. Seems to be syncing again now.

I made comparable observations (using also dropbox sync).

Memory use seems to be stable (about 800MB for real memor size), but Agenda is the top CPU process with 15 hours CPU time in about 16 hours.

This may correspondig with the high numbers of log entries in the macOS system log (about 15000 log entries in 25 minutes!)

Agenda was running during this time in background; I do not have use it it active.

I’m afraid there are still issues with Dropbox sync. Some are difficult to fix from our side, such as rate limiting of uploads. They have very low limits, making reasonable sync more difficult.

We have some ideas about how we may be able to improve things, but they are not quick fixes. If you have the option to use iCloud, I strongly recommend it.

Kind regards,
Drew