Magnet truncates notes, does Moom?

It turned out that Magnet (third party window tiling app) was sometimes truncating my notes (reported here.) I reported the problem to but have received no response.

Moom is a similar app. Does anyone know if it works properly with Agenda?

I frequently need to have Agenda on half my screen and another app beside it. The native Mac way of doing this is a total pain. Magnet is wonderful apart from truncating notes, forcing me to faff around with Agenda to see the full note again. I’d love to find a working alternative!

I use Moom and I’m having similar truncating or resizing effects on notes as you describe it.

But… this seems to be an Agenda bug though, since it can also be reproduced using MacOS fullscreen tiling features. Although I can’t think of any other app I’ve installed that shows similar problems using Moom.

@mekentosj You thought before (in the thread linked above), that this was a Magnet issue. Seems like it might be a bit more complicated!

We’ll have a look. @markus2 can you send us a series of screenshots of what you describe?

Hi @mekentosj,

I created a video that shows the dynamics:

Please see how the first note is selected when Agenda gets fullscreen maximized. You can spot additional space that’s get added to the note below the image (this additional space gets added to all notes btw.).After leaving fullscreen, the note(s) get truncated. You can see this, because the image is not visible anymore.

Hope that helps,
Markus

P.S. I can provide you with a link to the full resolution video on request.

Thanks, that’s helpful, we’ll have a look.

Any progress with this?

I’m still experiencing the same problems, and frustrations, using Agenda with Magnet. No other app I use seems to suffer in this way.

Alas, no progress, it has to do with how magnet resizes windows, apparently in a way that it doesn’t trigger the regular updates that happen when you resize manually. We have some things to look at that might or might not be related, so perhaps it will get fixed alongside those, but to specifically investigate issues with 3rd party windows managers doesn’t have as much priority as other issues I’m afraid.

Thanks for the update, quite understand.

I know Mac offers some kind of way to arrange windows, but I’ve never managed to really understand it!

I have good hopes I have made some changes that fix this as part of fixing an issue where going in and out of fullscreen mode would also truncate notes. Make sure to test the 13.1 update once it’s out in combination with Magnet and let us know if the issue still arrises.

2 Likes

I tested with 13.1.1 (195):

• The Sizing with MacOS fullscreen as shown above works.
  • Resizing with Moom still applies the „additional space“ and occasionally truncates the notes text
  • This also happens when resizing the window.

I made another video, please see:

Sorry for the late feedback and thank you for your effort in investigating this.

Hmm, strange, thanks for that, we’ll continue our investigation!

Yup. I’ve not managed to record it, but still some glitches - though less often.

@trebso @markus we found and solved an issue in Agenda 14 with the notes width not updating when resizing the Agenda window, this might very well also solve the issues you’ve been seeing with Magnet, would be be able to see if that’s indeed the case?