Losing Sketch Data

Actually, maybe it was because I switched apps. I’ll have to remember next time this happens. I just remember multiple times during class I would be taking notes in Agenda, and when I close out of the drawing it doesn’t save, and I have to re-write the notes later.

We believe this should have been fixed in the 10.0.3 update, please let us know if you still hit any issues.

Nope. Not fixed for me.
Newest ipad iOS software.
Agenda updated.

I can trigger the behavior by simply starting a sketch, switching to another app (typically with four finger swiping) scroll around a bit, return to the sketch, keep drawing, hit close, and it will go back to whatever happened before switching apps.

This is problematic. For instance, if i am sketching something, switch to safari for some inspiration or to reference a photo or the like, come back to the drawing to finish it, and then hit close but lose all the data from after multitasking/switching apps.

Thanks for working on it, hope theres an easy fix out there still…

Any chance you could make a screen capture video of this and send it to drew@agenda.com? We haven’t been able to trigger it, and maybe we can see something in your video.

Hi,
I was able to reproduce this problem just now.

Env:
Agenda-beta: Version 10.0.3 (133)
iPhone + iOS13

What I did:
I did not manage to reproduce this issue when I sketched on the only one single note in the current project.

However, if there were multiple notes in the current project, the “losing sketch data” issue occurred when I tried to sketch on one of the notes then switched among apps.

We have been able to determine the problem. It is indeed related to switching to other apps.

We are working on a fix right now, and it will be in our next release (10.1). For now, I recommend closing sketches before switching to other apps.

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for helping us track it down.

Kind regards,
Drew

1 Like

Hey Drew,
Thanks for continuing to look into this. I also wanted to mention that I see the same issue occuring if you put the iPad to sleep in the middle of sketching, wake it back up, finish, and the finishing strokes will be lost, just like multitasking.

I really hope you can get this fixed! Such a bummer each time, and it happens pretty regularily if you are like me and use agenda for a lot of handwriting applications! Thanks again.

The fix we have in 10.1 should indeed also fix the situation upon sleep/wake. Again apologies, we’ll try to get it to you asap.

Yes, I had to spend a day reworking this, but I think it will be fixed in 10.1, which is not far away. For now, my recommendation is to shut sketches more regularly. Don’t leave them open when the device sleeps, or you go and work in other apps. The fix will make this much more robust.

Thats good to hear, I’ve been currently writing my notes in another app and transferring in. Excited to go back to my normal workflow.

Seems this issue has been fixed.
I tested in Beta version 10.0.4(135). The losting sketch data error did not occur anymore.

Hi - after the latest update @drewmccormack - i have another weird issue.

Instead of replicating my handwriting, i now get 2 x ‘deleted sketches’ icons above my sketch!

Anyone else?

Not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean the icon with the cloud? Can you send a screenshot to drew@agenda.com?

I see you keep saying it is related to app swirching, but I get strange behavior when using handwritten notes. I create a not in the agenda view as attached to a meeting. Then I insert a not full with. As i write and switch between pens and eraser for about 5 minutes, many “ghost jotes appear” above my full width handwritten note. The keep coming back as I open and edit my handwritten note.

I am on v 10.0.4 build 135

I have investigated a bit further and found a reproducible set of steps.

• Go to the Agenda view
  • Expand notes with full width sketches linked to a meeting.
  • Open any sketch and use the Apple Pencil. For each time you double-tap the pencil to switch tool an empty sketch will be inserted in the expanded Notes with Sketches.

Sometimes I lose the last I have written, but I always get an empty Sketch added above the full width on for each time I switch tool with the Apple Pencil.

Hope this helps!

KR,
Knut

Ah, that is a different issue. I think we may have implemented the pencil gesture on the new pencil wrong. I didn’t have one to test. I implemented that button to add a new note, which is what you are seeing. I guess it should only do that if the drawing is not already on the screen.

I will fix this for the next version. Please just avoid using the button to switch for now. Just manually tap the tools, and you should be OK until the new fix comes.

OK, I have added a fix for this. Perhaps it is an idea to join the beta and test it out. The beta should be available in the next week or so.

Thanks for helping us track this down. I think you are the first to mention using the gesture. (The other syncing issues etc were also real bugs.)

Hi Drew,

great you see the same! Please verify creation of empty sketches when manually switching drawing tools, as well. It happens, but is a bit “rarer” as I switch tools less often (accidentally).

I can also report that I have lost entered text like the o.p., but I cannot confirm wether this is two independent issues or related. They may just happen at the same time, and not be related.

KR,
Knut

So you are saying that even when you just tap on the tool, it causes an issue? Unrelated to the pencil tap?

I was assuming you were seeing an issue due to tapping the pencil, which I could understand. But I don’t think just switching tools should do anything. I haven’t seen that.

(I can’t actually test this myself, unfortunately. Apple doesn’t seem to give us a tool to test the pencil double tap, and it seems excessive to purchase a new iPad just to test this. But I think my fix should do the trick. If you could join the beta, it would confirm it.)

Yes, I cannot find a direct relation between empty sketches added to the note and manually switching tools for the pen. However, I did turn off the double tap feature, and I still got some. However, I have not counted the number of tool switches and measured against the new sketches or losses.

I can do some more testing this week to find direct cause and effect.