Journal Dates

What I did: Stamped journal entries with their respective dates which then displayed the cooresponding date as the title of the entry as well as in the top right-hand corner.

What happened: Within a couple weeks of using the app, the dates in the top right-hand corner of every entry changed from for example Feb 1, 2018 to Feb 1-2, 2018. All of the entries made that change from the date that I set them to that day and the following.

What I expected: I thought it was an error on my part, so I changed the date of every entry back to the date that it was created. However within a week the dates changed back.

Things that might be helpful to know (Agenda version, OS and model, etc): I have Agenda 1.3 downloaded. My OS and model is High Sierra 10.13.3 (17D47).

Are you syncing across multiple devices by any chance and/or change timezone?

I am not syncing across devices. I am traveling across the country, but I am not doing anything to the timezone. I am sure that my computer is changing its timezone through the internet connection.

I am sure that my computer is changing its timezone through the internet connection.

Indeed that’s pretty likely it then, do you also see those dates become again just a single day if you’re back at where they were created?

I don’t know yet because it will be another couple months before I travel back toward the east coast. Besides I have already changed some dates back, as I mentioned previously, so now some dates may leap back instead of forward upon my return if what the app has done until now is any indicator. Honestly I believe that such a feature is unnecessary and shouldn’t exist since I don’t want things I have set like a date to be changed without my authorization.

I don’t want things I have set like a date to be changed without my authorization.

Technically it doesn’t do that, it records the date with the timezone at the moment you create the link, the fact that that doesn’t change is why it starts showing differently in a different timezone. Having said that, we’ll do our best to improve this if no explicit timezone is set in the calendar either.

Why does one hour of difference change a single date to a range though? That seems a bit much when I am moving across a single or even a few timezones.

Why does one hour of difference change a single date to a range though? That seems a bit much when I am moving across a single or even a few timezones.

We record the start and end date of the day, i.e. 0.00 AM to 11.59 PM, if you shift timezone an hour you technically move part of that range in another day.

Ok that makes more sense. Is there any way for a user to prevent that or will it be a question of changing all dates manually every time? I ask because let’s say a given user has 50+ entries and then they move across the country or farther even. Are the only choices to either leave the dates as ranges due to the move or change each one to a single date again?

I’m looking into a solution, stay tuned…

Update: The next update of Agenda will have much more robust support for changing timezones and prevent all-day events to show broken up over multiple days when moving to a different timezone.

We’d like to ask if you could help us test the changes, you’ll find how to activate beta downloads here: https://agenda.community/t/help-us-beta-test-agenda/907

Please let us know if indeed the issues have been resolved, if you run into any unexpected issues, and/or have any questions. Again, many thanks for reporting the issues and helping us get to their root causes, and most of all for your patience while we had to fix things!