iPad Pro pencil

Like in Apple Notes. Bah. It’s perfect as it is. He could use full width.

Good day, @drewmccormack.

First of all I apologize for responding so late, but my native language is Spanish and it is difficult for me to give such a complex answer in English.

It should be noted before starting that I consider that the solution proposed in the Noted app is “almost” perfect. It still has some implementation failures that will be corrected soon.

The first feature that makes this implementation a winner is the possibility of generating the notes by hand with the Pencil drawing inline in the note. So I always have a visual reference of the other notes taken with the keyboard or with the pencil, just by scrolling. This allows us to be “in context”.

The second feature that I would like to highlight is the possibility of increasing the size of the note down as much as we need it, just by pulling the small button with a little arrow. Or even, reduce the size of the note, dragging it up.

Finally, to create a new hand-drawn note you only need to tap with the Pencil on the screen. That’s it. Do not wait for the button bar with the keyboard functions to come out, or tap a menu, or search for the option within that menu. Likewise, to edit an already created handwriting note you only need to tap with the Pencil inside and voila.

Seriously, I know that it is hard to recognize that “our son” has mistakes and I am sorry to have to be the one who opens their eyes. But Agenda is an app with many great ideas, and a single flaw: the lack of adequate Pencil support makes me not feel as if I use a traditional agenda…

There is perhaps another thing that I do not like enough in Agenda and is that if a project has, for example, 180 notes, when I enter the project it is somewhat difficult to distinguish with the naked eye where one note begins and the other ends. Visually you have to look to the left looking for the orange circle, and at that moment I am already losing sight of the content of the note, which means that I have to be constantly looking from left to right.

I want to say that in your application with the naked eye it seems that it is a very long note, with headings from time to time, which are also placed in reverse chronological order (which seems to me an error when I am quickly traversing the note, because the sequence in my memory it is chronological).

A list on the left with a scroll of all the notes within a project, with the title and date, with a summary of the text and some kind of preview, I think it would help a lot. Something similar to the mailing list in a folder or the list of notes in the original Apple applications. This would allow me to concentrate on a single note just by clicking on that list.

In fact, there is plenty of room, left on my iPad Pro 11” screen, to place this listing.

In any case, I want to thank you for the interest you have placed in my suggestions and I hope and wish that they be considered to build together the best app for taking notes in the App Store.

Muchas gracias por la gestión y recibe un cordial saludo.

Well Señor, definately not all wrong what you said. I have issue to tell one note from the other too sometimes (on iPad).

I prefer handwritten notes as attaches though but that’s simply a matter of taste.

Let’s see where all of this leads to.

You know, when I started using Agenda, I downloaded it, didn’t understand it, deleted it. About three times. Began to love it then. Yet a little bit on Notability I’m about to discard it. Notability has a very good handwriting implementation though but many lacks. The support is lousy. Updates slow and half-ass. Agenda support is great, Developers are on fire. And the app is damn good looking.

Sending love to Spain hoping you remain part of Agenda army!

Regards

Mick

1 Like

Thanks for the follow up. Very useful.

In case you haven’t seen it, you can tap the project name at the top of the notes list to get a menu of all the notes. That allows you to quickly jump to other ones. May be a little like the column you are missing.

Kind regards,
Drew

Oh, yes, Drew, I have seen the menu in the project name, but I think is not enough because I lost the “context” when the menu is closed. Thanks anyway.

To be very honest I would perhaps consider reorganizing a bit your overall hierarchy and granularity of projects, notes, etc. For example, you mention:

There is perhaps another thing that I do not like enough in Agenda and is that if a project has, for example, 180 notes, when I enter the project it is somewhat difficult to distinguish with the naked eye where one note begins and the other ends.

180 notes is quite a lot to have in a single project, I don’t think I have any with more than say 30-40 notes. It means that either you could perhaps consider splitting things in sub projects and/or create fewer but larger notes in case they mostly consist of a few lines only.

I want to say that in your application with the naked eye it seems that it is a very long note, with headings from time to time

Exactly, and this has been the precise goal, to make it feel it is basically a single document, if you feel that document becomes to long and has to little overview, it’s probably better to start separating that document in a few different “chapters”, just like you’d do when an essay becomes a book.

which are also placed in reverse chronological order (which seems to me an error when I am quickly traversing the note, because the sequence in my memory it is chronological).

Note that in the navigation menu drew has already mentioned you can flip the sort order to chronological (at the end, after all the note titles).

Sorry, I just saw your question. Here’s the link to the CatalystTwo Handwriting Keyboard (not the best name for searching in the AppStore!):

It’s hands-down the best handwriting input method in the AppStore — I’ve purchased and used Mazek, Selvy, and WritePad. They are all tolerable, but had too many shortcomings. I was thrilled to discover Handwriting Keyboard — it’s not perfect, but it’s HWR is much better than the others so I’m more productive with it.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

I do not know why you insist that those who are not happy with the support of the Apple Pencil is because what we are asking for is a Notability.

WE DONT WANT Notability; we just want that what we can now write in Agenda with our keyboard can also be done with the Apple Pencil. Nothing else.

It wouldn’t even occur to me to ask them for recognition of writing …

WE DONT WANT Notability; we just want that what we can now write in Agenda with our keyboard can also be done with the Apple Pencil. Nothing else.

Looking at this post with its 239 posts, 312 likes and 87 contributors, I think one thing is clear, there is no such thing as “we don’t want”, or “we just want” as there are many different views and wishes when it comes to pencil support. For example,

we just want that what we can now write in Agenda with our keyboard can also be done with the Apple Pencil. Nothing else.

I’m pretty sure at least half of the people would interpret this as: I would handwrite with the Apple pencil and it would be converted to typed text, which requires handwriting recognition. While others like yourselves seem to be expecting to handwrite and keep things in handwritten form.

I think if anything is clear from this topic is that we shouldn’t try to speak for everybody, but rather focus on what you would like Agenda to do, which apps you think are doing a good job, etc. It’s then up to us to see what makes sense, what’s technically feasible, what fits the vision of Agenda, and try to make as many of you happy.

3 Likes

** Firstly, thank you very much to the support team for such patience in this point**

Ok, I understand your point. But, even if it sounds arrogant, try to listen to my advice as your project manager, rather than as a user.

Frankly, I think I am summarizing as briefly as possible what Agenda needs to have a ¿perfect? Apple Pencil support.

Obviously we know that each person is a world, but Agenda is only 1 application and will only be improved in 1 sense. We know that you will not make an Agenda for each of us.

That is reason because my phrase SIMPLIFIES what Agenda needs, and not what “everyone” wants:

What we can now write in Agenda with our keyboard, it can also be done with the Apple Pencil.

In this way we are not changing the “concept” of Agenda but only expanding its universe to a device as different as the iPad.

But it’s still not clear what you mean with that. Right now in Agenda you enter typed text through a keyboard.

What we can now write in Agenda with our keyboard, it can also be done with the Apple Pencil.

To me this is still highly ambiguous, do you expect to:

• be able to go in a mode equivalent to bringing up the keyboard, hand write your text and have that inserted as typed text?

• or have it become an image of your handwriting?

• or do you expect to be able to write in-line in the note and have your writing be converted to typed text?

• or write inline and have it stay handwritten text?

Again, this goes to show that there is just not one consensus on what people want as I’m sure you’ll find a group championing each of the above in this thread…

2 Likes

Up, sorry about my english, I’m sure is not the better: English is not my natural language.

I understand your confusion, my point is exactly:

• write inline and have it stay handwritten text

About:

• be able to go in a mode equivalent to bringing up the keyboard, hand write your text and have that inserted as typed text

I think is not a great idea… because it would do more difficult insert text and images with the Apple Pencil at the same time.

• or have it become an image of your handwriting?

:thinking: Similar to how it is done in Noted app… I think it can be good but it would be insufficient.

• or do you expect to be able to write in-line in the note and have your writing be converted to typed text?

My opinion is that it is not necessary to do the recognition of writing to typed text. I would even think that it would not be advisable because with my Pencil I can write (express) my notes with the aspect that I would like them to have at the end (underline, colors, highlights, etc).

I’m doing my best effort to try explain (the best that I can) how I see Agenda. To me, Agenda is almost perfect app, only I need the adequate support of the Pencil on the iPad AND one list of notes inside a Project at left margin.

In other words and simplifying a lot: a mix of Notes app with your project conception (better in 9.0 beta version) and most important with your awesome idea about calendar and reminder linked with notes.

I’m sure in a short 15 minutes meeting speaking Spanish it would be enough, but I think that I explain myself better every time.

Thanks, thanks a lot.

… and it’s pretty unfair to pay for Nebo and then have to pay for it again to use it inside another application.

iPadOS 14… We can finally write with the Apple Pencil in the Agenda app!!!

@drewmccormack @mekentosj

1 Like

Yay! Indeed. Will be a priority for the iOS 14 release in September/October.

2 Likes

Excellent news. I am using it with the Agenda production release now and it works almost perfectly.

The only issue I’ve noticed is the lack of a new line / carriage return gesture — so I have to tap the end of the translated line and use the soft keyboard return key to advance to the next line. I’ve looked at the Scribble tips and searched the web but see no gesture for new line / carriage return.

Hopefully either the Apple or Agenda implementation will care for this apparent Scribble shortcoming.

@drewmccormack, is this on your radar? Is there an established Agenda / iPadOS 14 Beta timeline where this might be addressed?

I think this feature will be a major advancement for Agenda. And thank you for the foresight to wait for Apple to make this move vs trying to integrate a Third Party HWR solution (as I and others had requested … this just shows why we should listen to you and the other smart people in the room :nerd_face:).

Fun times!

1 Like

I don’t think we can influence the internal working of Scribble much, to add a newline gesture. But I will report to Apple that it is something they should add. You never know, they may get it in there.

As for a timeline, probably nothing before August, I’m afraid. We are finishing off version 11 in the coming weeks, and then winding down for the summer break. Will be back at full steam on the new WWDC stuff in late July/August.

Search for CatalystTwo in the iPad App Store, then select the “Handwriting” app. Here’s the link:

Please note that won’t find it if you search on your iPhone.

Also, the new iOS 14 Beta Scribble feature is the best HWR on iPad. The only issue is lack of a carriage return / new line gesture — so you have to tap the end of the line of converted text to invoke the soft keyboard then press the Return key to create a new line; however I’m using it regularly with Agenda and like it much better than any other currently available HWR input method. It is much more accurate.

Thanks @drewmccormack. If Apple doesn’t add a new line gesture to Scribble, is it possible to add a new line feature/icon to the iPadOS Agenda toolbar as a workaround?

@drewmccormack, thank you for posting the Scribble Newline gesture question in Apple Developer Communities (I saw it!). I’ve scoured the internet — including locating an Apple Newton User Guide — searching for a Scribble or Newton newline gesture. No joy!

However, I did find a “workable’ workaround — the Scribble Control Panel! It actually includes a newline button! See image below (no attempt made to correct the few HWR errors).

I hope Apple will add the gesture, but my gut tells me that may be more complicated than it appears because the Newton did not have a newline gesture. Instead, it relied on the user tapping on the carat (^) that would appear at the end of a translated line to invoke a set of tappable options that included a newline button. I’m interpreting this as a potential patent gap since a newline gesture would have been more intuitive.

In any case, the Scribble Control Panel is becoming more “natural” with use.