iOS Share extension plans?

Wish it were that simple. We have lots of manhattan projects to choose from :slight_smile:

It’s high on the list though. Get to it sooner rather than later.

2 Likes

Maybe my reply came off more “salty” than I intended. It was meant to be more tongue in cheek!

I love what you are doing, I love that you are so involved with the community and I am here for the long haul. Keep up the great work.

2 Likes

Please add Share support for both iOS and Mac!

We have been designing this. It is actually a very big feature to develop, even though it seems small. On our roadmap.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

I agree! For a note taking app, this omission really cripples the usefulness of Agenda. Such a fundamental iOS tool that’s almost universal with other communication apps (notes, email, task mgt), Share seems to be trivialized by this development team. Of the dozens of features added to iOS Agenda, less than a handful would seem to me to rise above the benefit of Share.

Blow it off if you wish, but as of now with plenty of alternatives, this app is mothballed for me and that subscription will not be renewed.

2 Likes

Actually you can use shortcuts to share to agenda already… see for yourself in section “Shortcuts” in this community :wink:

You couldn’t be further from the truth (if it were we wouldn’t have asked the designer to work on it already obviously), what we’ve been saying along is that we want to do it but that it requires some foundations to be put in place first. Both technical (how to run the app in the sandbox that Apple provides for extensions) and workflow wise (where would the shared content go?). We’re working on these but this takes time alas.

1 Like

Just did a quick Search for the number of threads that requested or commented on the Attachments feature prior to its release. Stopped counting after 100+. 80% asked why it was taking so long. Likewise, 80% asked the TWO (2) developers to take their time and do it right. (see what I did there!). Seems to me they took just the right amount of time to get the feature right. So…my point. Buckle up and wait for Share to appear. May take longer than you want, but I’m betting it will be done right no matter when it’s released.

2 Likes

What exactly does that mean? Next week? Next month? Next year? Saying you’re going to do something is worth little…actually doing it matters. This thread started in May 2018 with the developer response “we have plans for share extensions.”

I rarely use Agenda these days because it has been too limiting in its current state. I just thought I’d investigate if Share had been added yet…and here we are.

I’m afraid software development rarely works that way. I could give you a date, and you can be sure it would not work out that way. Things often take longer than expected, or other projects come in between. Giving a date has no worth, and will only make you more disagreeable if we don’t hit it.

This is an important feature. Our designer is pretty much finished with that phase. We plan to do it sometime this year. That’s about all I can promise at this point. We have other features that are taking priority at this point in time.

1 Like

Fair enough! I’ve been a part of software development teams, and trained in front-end/back-end engineering, so I understand your “world”. Telling me Share is planned for this year with caveat that there are other priorities that could affect that timeline at least gives me better information on Agenda’s roadmap and whether it’s worth my continued investment.

3 Likes

I agree - the share function is critical to my continued interest and investment in this App. It seems to me its been released way to early, promises much without delivery anything in a timely manner. Very disappointed, after very high hopes. Might even revert back to the big E

It does look nice though!!

You can’t have everything at once and the Agenda team have not been kicking back and doing nothing since when this feature was first requested.

Although the share extension feature has not been released yet, a HUGE pile of other features have been released and a whole list of new features are going to be released soon. I’m not going to list every feature or call out what’s coming, do your homework and check recent updates from the team.

It’s all about prioritisation. I personally would love a password feature to stop prying eyes BEFORE share extension, but you won’t see me complaining why it’s not here yet.

2 Likes

I would be glad for macOS and iOS Share Menu integration too. I’m missing it :frowning:

Adding a cosign. Was about to switch back to Agenda (from Bear) full-time because of Reminders integration, but without share menu compatibility, I can’t integrate into my core workflows. As a product lead in my dayjob, I understand the difficulties in managing roadmap, but from a business PoV, I’d argue this is a table-stakes feature for relevancy in the notes market.

2 Likes

I also would like Agenda to implement the iOS share sheet, but in the meantime, I’ve created/borrowed two Shortcuts that get me the desired behavior completely. One shares any selected text to Agenda, and the other shares files as attachments. You can use these from any app that has a Share button. If you’re missing native Agenda share sheet functionality, these should really do the trick for you.

File to Agenda: Shortcuts (thanks to marc.boulos for this one)

Text to Agenda: Shortcuts

Instructions:

1. Make sure you have Shortcuts.app installed (App Store link)

2. Share text or a file using the standard iOS “Share” button

3. Tap “Shortcuts” in the bottom row of the share sheet.

4. Tap the desired shortcut.

If you would rather these shortcuts append to an existing note than create a new note, you can alter the URL schemes in them to do this.

Agenda development team, not to toot my own horn but I think these Shortcuts or ones like them are so helpful in filling this feature gap that you might want to promote them (or your own more fully featured ones) in some way.

7 Likes

I’m in the same boat, poking around with Agenda, comparing it against Bear. But I share things using the iOS shortcuts all the time to/from Bear/Mail/Things/Safari. Very surprised that they’re not supported in Agenda!

1 Like

My exact workflow with the exception of using AirMail instead of Mail. Share extension should be a MUCH higher priority in my book

It is a very high priority. One of the next things on our list. The problem is that it is not as trivial as it seems. It has to work when the app is not running. We have to organize the internal passage of data so that everything works and syncs even when the app is not running. Stay tuned!

5 Likes

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you guys are on it :raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2: