Improved outlining

First, I want to say that I love Agenda. I have used just about every note app on iOS and macOS; Agenda is by far the best.

The one pain-point I haven’t seen addressed recently is improved outlining. I saw a message from July 2018 about this topic but didn’t quite see this discussed on the “features we are working on list”. I would love to see improved scaffolding (expand / collapse), bullet styles (more than “ - “) , and the ability to reorganize quickly (jumps between bullets). I take almost all of my notes in outline form.

Any thoughts about this fits into the broader app vision?

3 Likes

Glad to hear you like Agenda so much, yes, we do hope to bring more options in this area in future updates, see also The features we are working on right now…

3 Likes

I am a big fan of Agenda, and I also take my notes in outline form. I think it works pretty well, but the levels of outlining are very limited (I think its 4). It would be helpful to have more. It also would be great if you could drag parts of the outline to other areas in the document and have it automatically renumber. Since outlining is a form of organizing, moving things around to improve the organization is important

3 Likes

Hello, I wonder whether it’s possible to create bullet points that are collapsible (basically like an agenda note, but within a note), so that collapsing at any level will hide sub levels on that point. I find myself having awfully long notes at times (and I aim to split them and link sub-notes back to the original note), but I think that this may be quite a neat way to keep an overview of what is within a note, without adding more notes to the project.
I have included an example from a brainstorming app called mindspace.

MindSpace 06.06.18 PM 14-05-2023

4 Likes

Thanks, yes. We would also like to support dragging of lists and paragraphs. On the roadmap.

One (perhaps easier) improvement to outlining would be to at least allow some further options for numbering. At present, the only option is numbers-only — which can be a little confusing to look at:

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 2.28.00 PM

Ideally, one would be able to choose other text for the levels (roman numerals, capital/lower case letters) so they can be more easily distinguished from one another.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, that is something we hope to do at some point.

I love the straight forward response. Affirmed as worthwhile, but no false promises or expectations.

2 Likes

Hi
I see this topic, of foldable outliner entries has a long history
For me this is the only thing that stops me using Agenda extensively.
Hope to see this soon.
Thanks
Chris Reed

2 Likes

Foldable sections are planned for a future release. Not the next one, but all going well, the one after that. We are already working on the technology we need to do it internally. Stay tuned…

4 Likes