How to password protect Agenda?

Same here… password protection should be a basic feature. When I store backup on the iCloud or Dropbox, I should be able to encrypt it through Agenda.

1 Like

Unfortunately there is still no password protection for the iPad. This is a major vulnerability for a note app. I will probably switch to Uylsees.
In our family we have 3 iPads. When I give my son my iPad, I always have to delete the agenda app.
I use agenda for important logs and personal notes.
I think the developers are all bachelors and live alone.
It is a shame that personality is given so little importance. greetings from Bavaria

1 Like

I really liked agenda from very first beginning. I am premium user since that time. But without password protection, for me it is useless in more and more use cases.

A basic application wide password / pin / Touch ID / Face ID procection would be a first step and could be done straight forward within very short time. Maybe an over-engineered solution for note-wise procetction can be done later.

I am sad to say “goodbye agenda”, but I am really disappointed and started using Ulysses for my notes.

1 Like

Is there any real difference between just locking your computer screen at the macOS level, and locking Agenda? Is the fear that you will be using the computer, and someone will look over your shoulder and see Agenda or something? Just trying to understand how an Agenda lock would be different to the standard screen lock.

1 Like

Drew, you might take a look at Bear; they have lockdown at the app level with your Mac’s login code and the ability to encrypt every note with one key.

Not sure if that’s technically feasible in Agenda, but it’s a good system IMO.

I don’t lock my iMac on macOS level, as it’s a nuisance to have to login everytime you want to use the machine (except for Administrator functions) after it’s gone in Sleep mode and other people use the computer as well. So all my app’s that needs protection (if provided) from “spying eyes” are password locked. Same procedure (as) on iOS systems.
So the discussion now is going on now for 2 years and several users took the exit for this simple feature.
Don’t worry about forgetting the password. That’s user responsibility, solved by f.i. 1Password.
Next will be encryption, but most users will not require that.

I don’t really see the point of an app level lock. Can you really lock down that many apps? I can’t think of any I can lock down. Does Mail have a lock down, for example?

If you share your computer, you are already taking a bigger risk. I think the way we should go here is to allow locking on individual notes. That way you can lock the sensitive stuff, so that when you kids jump on there, they only see your grocery list. Locking whole apps almost feels like if it were there, it should be a system feature that Apple adds. But then, you get back to the same issue: just don’t share your user account, and you are fine.

1 Like

I don’t share my user account, but my iMac is a family computer everyone can use, so when I used it and it goes to sleep, while I forgot to logoff, it comes automatically back in my personal account again. No login. Other users in the house can use my account to do something or can log me off and go their own environment.
Not all applications can be password protected, specially not the Apple applications, but other applications do offer the facilities (f.i. Moneydance and MacJournal) and I am happy to be able to lock those applications.

Important features for IOS and IPADOS

This seems like you are asking an app dev to fix localised security hygiene issues.

MacOS can be set to lock the account on screen saver which stops accidental use of your account by family members.

iOS and MacOS make iCloud password vault sharing extremely difficult if you choose not to secure the device.

Nothing wrong with my local security hygiene issue; just my way of working and I am not the only one asking for this.

For me it’s not a “deal-breaker” but some turn away from Agenda for this.

Other apps also offer this feature.

Take a look at “Bear Notes” as an example. They have authentication similar to a screen saver. When you haven’t been in the app for a few minutes, or if you open the app for the first time it requests to unlock. You can do this with your MacOS Password, or you can do it with your Apple Watch.

I would love this function and it’s the thing that has me teetering between switching from Bear Notes. I love the calendar integration in Agenda and since I use this for my work notes, i like the second layer of security. For example it’s not uncommon to be in a meeting and have someone bring something up on my laptop when presenting, or a misclick. Bear says unlock vice showing my notes.

Any news on this? Updates with new (useful) features feels kinda slow, sorry :frowning: This thread exsists for over 2 year now.

1 Like

Plan the steps to full encryption, but don’t wait to implement what’s easy.

• Use Apple’s keychain to store the password.
  • Start with a simple lock to make “private” notes and notebooks. Better than nothing even if an index will reveal something.
  • Solve the index issue,
  • Full encryption
    Certainly most if not all of this can be premium

Can’t folks simply use something like file vault for now, encrypting the whole thing?

iCloud is encrypted in transit and in the cloud: iCloud data security overview - Apple Support

Put a firmware password on your computer to keep even Apple from being able to access it: Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

Your phone is as protected as your security code is good assuming you have it locked.

Set up an additional user (and iCloud account) on your Mac if you need a really private place, and send stuff to it from your phone (then delete from phone). Yep, you’ll need to pay for Agenda twice if you want premium, but it’s a deal if you use it that extensively.

Also looking for this. Apple Notes seems a reasonable model which I use extensively. The point is to have an extra level of protection should someone somehow gain access to my Apple ID.

I found this thread because I searched the forum for password protection which would be a great addition to Agenda, in my opinion. It would be great to have it at project or even at note level, I just need to save a password related to an Agenda note :sweat_smile: .

Looking forward to that. Any idea when will we be able to lock selected notes or projects? Just so family and friends won’t be able to see them.

I recently purchased agenda and have been using it to keep track of my work. It’s very good. And I have used Evernote, notability, and other task managing apps before.
Would love to have a lock feature though as most other apps I used have it.

Many thanks.

Can’t put a time on it, I’m afraid. It’s in the roadmap for sure.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that it’s on the roadmap! Thanks for all your hard work and hearing your users.

1 Like