How I use Agenda: the Eisenhower method

After almost two years of Agenda Notes, how do I now use it? (This is going to be lengthy, I can feel it)

I develop, sell and execute management & sales training for all kinds of companies. There’s lots of meetings, writing, corresponding and planning that go with it. So, beside keeping track od private things, I need a sales “pipeline”, somewhere to keep meeting reports to refer to, store ideas, make outlines of training sessions, etc etc.

I have tried a couple of approaches but this one really works for me.

I’ve been a fan of the Eisenhower method for quite some time. For those who don’t know it, this is what it’s about:

Eisenhower

There’s a tag for each category. Combined with “on the Agenda” and "today” (all notes have dates) they make four excellent, saved overviews of what has to be done by whom.

The sales pipeline consists of seven categories, represented by tags. A tag search - for example “Prospect” - gives me useful overviews. As soon as a “lead” turns into a client, it gets its own project.

Clients have projects. Projects have one standardised (TextExpander), pinned, main note and many peripheral notes. The main one is the home of the project. It shows the trajectory. It’s not “on the agenda” but has a due-date. The peripheral notes - meeting reports, ideas, outlines etc - are linked to it and “on the Agenda" if necessary.

The system has an overview for tags, which are entered with TextExpander.

All contacts are linked (TextExpander, again) to their CardHop contact-data. Always. So when I’m “on the road” I can easily call, message or email from within Agenda.

There’s lots more but I think I’ll leave it at that. Hope you’ll find (some of) it useful.

Rob

18 Likes

Great post Rob, thanks for sharing!

Hi Robbie

Could you please explain how you integrate with Cardhop?

Thanks

Hi,

It’s not an integration as such, t’s a habit I developed.
What I do is this:

• New contact -> enter into CardHop

• On iOS run a shortcut (share) -> link to contact’s copied, text appears.

• Fill in contact’s name between the [ ] and everything’s copied to the clipboard

• In TextExpander make a new snippet -> paste -> think up an abbreviation, done.

Now, every time you type the abbreviation, your contact’s name appears as a link to his/her contact data.

Rob

1 Like

This all sounds like really powerful stuff. Great system, and thanks for sharing it!

1 Like

Thanks Rob, I’ll have a play with that. Sorry for asking more, but is the link to the contact an iOS contacts feature or a CardHop feature? (If I can get this working, especially if I can use it with the Apple keyboard shortcuts rather than the expense of Text Expander, this will be a great improvement to my workflow!)

@drewmccormack, I’ve been experimenting, thinking it would be cool to apply the above link to a People tag. However, while it’s possible to add a link to a People tag…

it’s not possible to follow the tag…
Screenshot 2020-03-11 at 10.02.08

Any chance of adding ‘follow link’ as an option in the pop up?

Hi,

It’s a CardHop feature.
This is what the link looks like from my side:

It works with Apple Keyboard Shortcuts as well.
It’s not possible to make the link into a tag (which for me is not a problem).

Rob

2 Likes

That’s great Robbie - many thanks!

For now I’ll probably use the people tag and the Card Hop link. In my work I come across the same people in different contexts, so being able to search for all occurrence of a Person using the tag is really helpful to review all my interactions with the person. I also like how the Person tag shows ‘related notes’.

Edited to update my experience playing with this today and integrating into my existing workflow and structure:

• For each Contact I create a Note in a project called People
  • This Note now includes the CardHop link to their contact details
  • It also includes my tags of their status: prospect, lead etc
  • For the initial contact with each person, I update their Note in People (ie that I met them at X event, called and left a message, etc)
  • Once I actually have shceduled a meeting or tel convesation with them, I create a new Note for that event, which lives in a Project called Networking
  • If they are a serious prospect, then I create a specific Project for them and all future notes of meetings etc, live in their Project
  • Every time I create a note involving a person, or even if I mention them in passing in another note, I tag the person. This means the notes show up in Related Notes
  • If I want to contact the person, I’ll search on their tag and select the Note in People with the CardHop link.

This means I can miss the step of creating a Keyboard shortcut, while still having relatively quick access to their contact details.

Incidentally - a key part of my workflow is based on Spark email. If I have emailed someone and need to ‘wait’ for their response, I use the Reminder feature in Spark to place my sent email in my inbox after a specified period. While I may note in a Note that I am #waiting for a response, I don’t need to search Agenda to check if someone has got back to me.

5 Likes

Looks good!
I use Spark as well and just about the same way. Works perfectly, both on O- and iOS.

Rob

1 Like

@drewmccormack In case you missed it - any thoughts on making tags linkable? Or even better, making the link ’sticky’ so if you add a link to a tag in one instance, the link is available in all other instances of the tag? That would be seriously useful in the absence of / until full integration with contact apps.

Interesting idea, but I would be inclined simply to add a link for now. We could consider making tags more powerful later, when we get to adding a tag browser etc.

1 Like

Templates! Yeah!
Jongens!

1 Like

Hi @robbie07, this sounds great - can you possibly post some screenshots? I’m a visual learner, and I’m having trouble conceptualizing this, but it sounds like it will be right up my alley…

Thanks!
Scott

Hi Scott. Thanks.
What exactly would you want to see?

That’s a good question - let me think it over and get back…