Heavy input lag on iPad

Agenda 2.1.3
Ipad Air

What I did:
Typed a string of text into a note on ipad

What happened:
Text registered and displayed several seconds after being typed. Some times, when backspacing it will go on and backspace infitinitely until everything is deleted.

What I expected:
For me to type normally into a note.

Hunch:
This behavior has started ever since i copied and pasted formatted text from an external source into the app on my ipad.

Things that might be helpful to know (Agenda version, OS and model, etc):

That should certainly not happen.

Is it a very large note?

It is possible that heavy background sync is going on. If you wait a few minutes for that to finish, does it become much faster?

If you create a new note, can you type in that faster?

Kind regards,
Drew

Yeah itā€™s pretty crippling to the experience, albeit iOS only but still a major bug.

Even on a new note it behaves the same.

That should certainly not happen. You should be able to type very fast in a new note. There must be something going on.

Does the problem go away if you go into the app settings (right panel, button at bottom-left), and turn off sync there?

I am facing the same issue on my iPad Air 2ā€¦ Agenda is very close to be unusable on the iPad.
When turning off iCloud-Sync I also had to go offline and restart Agenda several times before Agenda behaved as expected with iCloud-Sync disabled. Is this a known bug?
Willing to test a beta using TestFlightā€¦

Is every keystroke slow, or is it only slow, eg, when you press return? Is it also slow to type in a new note in a new project?

Did turning off the sync make anything faster?

Drew

Hi Drew!
Every keystroke is slowā€¦ but not only the keystroke but also refreshing of the Agenda-UI is slow. Even refreshing the keyboard within agenda is slow (the small popups when pressing a key stick for a second or even longer).
Turning sync off did make everything work as expected again.
Stefan

Playing around a little bit with this issue it is not yet reproducible 100% but happens very oftenā€¦ workaround is to disable iCloud sync and give iOS some time to ā€œcalm downā€.
This issue happened again after one day for me. so not an acceptable workaround.
Btw it is not iPad alone, also happens on iPhone X (which has even more computing power).

TBH sounds like there may be something odd with the data causing sync to go haywire.

Do you perhaps use Agenda on a network with very many calendars? Eg. at work, where everyoneā€™s calendar is visible?

Drew

Nope - happens at home with 4 iPhones and three Macs on the networkā€¦

Can you elaborate on that? Are all 4 iPhones running Agenda at the same time?

also nopeā€¦ only my iPhone X and my iPad (which I forgot to mention before) is running Agenda as well as my Macbook and my iMac.

1iPhone X, 1 iPad Air 2, 1 MacBook Pro 2015, 1 iMac 2011 are running Agenda with the same Apple-ID.

Have you tried a reboot of your devices? Iā€™ve seen this once and it got resolved by restarting my iPad, apparently something was blocking iCloud or driving a lot of CPU usage. Never really found out what was causing it.

Hmmm. Tried rebooting but did not solve the issue.
:frowning:

I am experiencing some input lag on my iPad mini 2. Sometimes difficult to get a cursor. Sometimes just slow. But annoying rather than disabling.

My or may not be relatedā€¦ I am seeing a few instances of the keyboard disappearing when in ā€˜editā€™.

@greiggy is this in large notes, or just after you have brought the app to the foreground/started it a again? The keyboard disappearing could indicate that itā€™s due to synced data coming in from another device.

I have no really large notes. Thereā€™s one I refer to and add to frequently and the keyboard sometimes disappears when I bring it up. It is kind of medium lengthā€¦

Canā€™t tell how many words or characters it is ā€“ would be good to have this shown somewhere ;:sunglasses:

ā€“IanG

any progress with this? will there be an update to fix this issue?

Also, what constitutes a large note?This issue happens on all notes regardless (small or large).

If it happens on all notes itā€™s not the text editing lag on large note that is discussed here, then itā€™s more likely the initial sync issue indeed.

We continue to improve the performance as we go, as weā€™ve done in almost all updates. Thereā€™s no silver bullet though, so itā€™s unlikely that weā€™ll fix it in one particular update.