French - Français

The only inconsistent part in all of this is the header “Saved Searches” under Overview, that I agree, and perhaps that is the one that should be changed to “Saved Overviews”.

Again, I’m against to change the overview to be called saved search. Yes, i understand that you feel that the two are equal but they are not. Saving a search is one way to create an overview, currently the only way, but this might not true in the future.

For example, we plan to add a tag browser down the road. From there it will be possible to click one of the tags and create an overview with all notes containing that tag. And no point in time you will go through the search interface. Of course just like you argue that overviews are saved searches, you could argue that such a ‘tag’ overview is also a “search” I get that, but just to illustrate that ultimately what saving the search results in is an overview.

Another example, we plan to add view options, like only show me the lines in a note that contain the actual tag, or contain the unchecked items. This is further separates an overview from merely being the same as typing in the search field. And finally, we plan to overhaul the search interface to begin with.

All to say, that what you create in the sidebar are overviews (hence the header at the top), by means of saving a search, not the other way around, which is why the UI explicitly uses this terminology:

This leaves the “inconsistent” "Saved Searches header when you have more than 5 of them. I found Saved Overviews under the header Overviews not very pretty. Perhaps the could be called “Custom Overviews” or “My Overviews”. Suggestions are welcome.

I understand your thoughts, @mekentosj.

I thought about where did/do I use “Saved Searches” in other apps - I do e.g. in Apple Mail and BusyCal. They are called e.g. “Intelligent Searches” (in Apple Mail), “Intelligent Filters” (BusyCal).

For me, thats what I realized now, a problem is/could be that the first section is called “Overview”. And a saved search (eg. “#doc”) is also called “Overview”. For two different “things” (the collection of “On the Agenda”, “Today”, Saved Searches/Overviews…) and for a saved search we use the same word “Overview”.

Maybe a part of the solution can be to call the first section in the left pane “Overviews” (plural) instead of “Overview” (singular). And each item in this section is an “Overview” (or a special/particular searches for e.g. notes on the agenda, Today notes, notes with a tag, notes in the trash).

“Overview” (singular) as a title for this section works when not using the same word for items inside “Overview”. I would see it then as “This sections gives and general overview over your projects using different focuses” (or similar).

This one obviously has a problem. It’s a recomposed string that’s missing the article. Finding the first half is easy, but not the second one (which, considering the way the string turns up, should be “la vue d’ensemble %@”. Is the second part coming from #53851658?

Hello!,

We had a similar discussion (Spanish translation).

We finally decided to translate the word “Overview” in the sidebar as “Vista general”. Now, after reading @mekentosj and @csterneck message, the plural seems the best choice in this case as Overview isn’t a title but a word that gives you a choice. Like when you have the word “Colour” and, below it, the different colours you can choose from.

So, in the Spanish case, “Vistas generales” or “Vistas principales” could be more appropriate.

“Saved searches” could be then changed to “My overviews” or “Custom overviews” as Alex said, but I think all saved searches should end there from the first moment, not only when you have more than five).

The word overview when used in other parts of the app was translated as “vista” (similar to “view”).

It’s a tricky word because it’s also called “filter” by the app when you leave the cursor over one of your overviews. Indeed, my first choice was to use the word “chincheta” (“pin”).

So, I think it could be a good idea to:

• Change the word “overview” in the sidebar, using the plural: “overviews”.
  • Use “custom overviews” instead of “saved searches”, adding them to that section regardless of the number of overviews you already have.

Addition to my post before: Like I mentioned before to use “Overviews” as the title for the upper section in the left pane. But to see it more like a “location” where you place items. Then saving a search we would call “Save Search in Overviews” (instead of “Save Search as Overview”).
But, when more than 5 “Saved Searches/Overviews” we have a new “Category” in the pane below the “Overview”. So they are not inside the Overview/s" anymore …

Thanks for the input all, that’s very helpful. Let me discuss this with @drewmccormack and we’ll come back with our thoughts on the suggestions.

1 Like

Hi all, a quick update on the above discussion, @drewmccormack and I had a quick chat about this after a related post by @csterneck, here’s how we plan to address things:

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: La synchronisation par iCloud

Hy Thomas , I am eager to Help you translate to french or dutch . Let me Know.

Fell free to head to the OneSky website (link in the first post of the thread) to post comments, suggestions and localizations! :slight_smile:

Corentin

1 Like

Bonjour, j’aimerais si possible contribuer à la traduction de Agenda en français. J’ai déjà repéré plusieurs améliorations possibles dans OneSky, mais pour l’instant il semble que je peux seulement commenter et pas suggérer directement des traductions alternatives.

Je ne sais pas pourquoi il ne serait pas possible de rentrer des suggestions, mais en tout cas, l’option d’utiliser des commentaires devrait fonctionner.
je ne crois pas pouvoir gérer les autres utilisateurs moi-même (@mekentosj should be able to add you to the project), mais je devrais pouvoir recevoir des notifications en cas de commentaire et d’agir en conséquence.

1 Like

Merci ! J’ai vu que tu avais en effet répondu à mes commentaires.

Dans OneSky si j’essaye de cliquer sur la traduction d’un élément, le curseur de la souris s’accompagne d’un signe “:no_entry_sign:” et je ne peux donc rien modifier… Je ne sais pas trop s’il y a quelque chose que je puisse faire pour changer ça.

Update: We have moved from OneSky to Crowdin for translating Agenda to French :raised_hands:

I’ll get on it as soon as I can get in :wink:

Corentin

1 Like