Formatting palette can't be closed on Agenda 17

Just to add in here that this is affecting me as well. Last update improved matters slightly, but it’s still quite broken I’m afraid. I just use the menu options now and try and avoid opening the palette to avoid frustration.

Happy to run a Beta with logging or something like that if that would help?

It’s still very frustrating that we haven’t been able to determine what app or what setting, or system specific aspect causes this, if there’s anything (a utility you use, a specific system setting or display setup) that you can find that prevents this from happening that would be great.

We’ll also try to create a beta version with more logging info that might give us more insights next week.

I’ve restarted in safe mode, reset display scaling to default, removed the external display, and disabled the increased contrast option I normally use. Still have problems.

The simplest test case that fails is

• write some text

• click on the dot to open the palette

• select a style such as list item
    nothing happens

• click on the Agenda window to dismiss the palette
    Agenda comes to top but palette is still there underneath

• repeat the above and the styling will work the second time, and the palette may close as well

• clicking on the dot a second time usually (maybe always) closes the palette

• dragging the palette window and then trying to close with the close button someties works

Thanks for testing these, and the steps are indeed what is shown in the videos that people have made. Problem is that we don’t see this happen on our end, on various machines with various Os version, including 13.2.1
Very frustrating…

I did mention it several times in another thread, but it was closed because of this one. Maybe it does play a role in troubleshooting: I have 4 Macs with almost the same software configuration. I have the problems only on the 2 Macs with Intel CPU.

Maybe new clue: I created a new macOS user, signed into my iCloud account (so that Agenda would have access to the new features), and can’t reproduce the problem.

Switching back to my original macOS account, the problem reoccurs.

It doesn’t seem to matter whether the new user is an administrator or not.

This is on an M1 Mac so it seems unlikely that it’s related to Intel vs Apple Silicon.

Any ideas for differences between the two that I can investigate?

Wow, that’s interesting, confirming that it’s some kind of setting. Indeed I myself tested on an Intel mac as well and didn’t see it either. So is there any software or utility that is running on the one account but not the other? Or some setting specifically that comes to mind in say the system prefs?

Trying to bring the new account into sync with the old one with regard to settings and utilities. But so far no luck in reproducing it on the new account.

Thank you so much for doing this, let us know if you find any leads.

I have the two accounts such that settings and what’s running no longer seem meaningfully different to me. But the original account still shows the bad behaviour and the new one still doesn’t.

Is it possible the problem is in some persisted state somewhere which is cleared when a new account is created?

Does it make a difference if, in the account where the problem still appears, do the following:

Does it help if you:

• quit Agenda
  • in Go to Folder under the Go menu in Finder, paste:
    ~/Library/Containers/com.momenta.agenda.macos/Data/Library

Then try if moving the following files/folder to your desktop (in order to keep a copy) and restarting your Mac, makes a difference (if they exist)?

• the WindowStates.keyedarchive file inside the Caches folder
  • the folder Saved Application State

and separately if the above doesn’t make a change

• the com.momenta.agenda.macos.plist file in the Preferences folder

Let me know if that makes a difference

Hmm, no. I tried removing combinations of each of those files/folders, rebooting between attempts, but it hasn’t changed the behaviour.

Guessing that suggests that, if it’s due to some bad state somewhere, it isn’t Agenda’s state?

The Agenda state is unlikely it if you deleted the plist. But if you want/can exclude it, you could do the following:

• quit agenda (after turning sync off, see below)
  • go to the account where it doesn’t work.
  • copy the com.momenta.agenda.macos folder in ~/Library/Containers
  • copy the WRBK2Z2EG7.group.com.momenta.agenda.macos folder in ~/Library/GroupContainers
  • switch back to the account where the palette does work as normal
  • place the copied folders in their respective locations (keep the originals by renaming them instead of overwriting)
  • start Agenda, it should now contain the same data and settings

It’s important though that in the test account you do have turned sync off first in the Agenda preferences (in the test account, you can leave it on in your regular account). Make sure to leave the data in the cloud if asked whether you want to remove it or not.

After testing you can choose to either keep the data but be sure to keep sync off, or place back again the folders that you renamed. All to avoid the risk that you start syncing your Agenda data from the wrong account.

Yup, did this and the test account is still fine. (It was a little tricky because of the ownership and extended attributes, but I think I’ve followed your instructions correctly.)

Seems like whatever it is, is external to Agenda. But now I’m really not sure where to look.

Ok, but that’s already very good info to have, thanks for confirming!

Are any of these areas different in terms of settings between the two accounts?

1. Dock preferences: The Dock has several options that can affect window behavior, such as the “Prefer tabs when opening documents” setting, which can cause documents to open in new tabs within the same window rather than in separate windows.

2. Mission Control preferences: customises how windows are arranged and displayed, such as grouping windows by application or displaying windows on different desktops.

3. Accessibility preferences: these can affect window behavior by enabling features such as full keyboard access or the ability to use the mouse cursor to move windows. Also things like reduced transparency, reduced motion, etc.

4. Display preferences: these can affect window behavior by allowing users to customize how windows are displayed on different screens or displays, such as using extended desktop mode or mirroring displays.

5. Window behavior settings: macOS has several settings that control window behavior, such as the “Close windows when quitting an app” setting, which can cause windows to remain open even after the application has quit.

6. Third party apps starting/running in the background

• Dock, Mission Control, and Display preferences are the same as far as I can tell.
  • Accessibility is the same I think, but there are many options so it’s hard to confirm. The only accessibility setting I tend to use is three-finger dragging on the trackpad, and that is set up the same way on both.
  • Close when quitting is the same.
  • Third party apps are a bit tricky to get 100% the same because of license/account limits in some cases, but I’ve tried shutting down the ones that I can’t otherwise have running on both sides.
  • Comparing the running process list (ps aux) it looks pretty similar (which is what makes me suspect it’s something stateful rather than to do with a running process).

Update: macOS 13.3 has not changed the situation.

Remains a shame there’s no clear indicator of why this happens or what the difference is between those accounts, very frustrating. If you (or anyone following this thread) finds more clues, let us know. We’ll go ahead and build in more logging in the next update.

As far as I know, this issue has been solved on my system. It now works as I would expect.

1 Like

Glad to hear that and thanks for letting us know!

Solved on my MacBook Pro Early 2015, but only because I had to change it to be able to move to Ventura…

1 Like