Any plans to integrate AI, like ChatGPT?

Hi

I trialled ChatGPT integrated into Nation last week and WOW, absolutely fantastic. Notion isn’t my daily driver and I only really used it since I got a change to trial the integrated AI. Any chance that AI integration is on the cards for Agenda? I’d gladly stump up a few more $$

Ben

1 Like

Personally I wouldn’t pay more. I don’t think Agenda needs any not ready for prime time eye candy. I get that it’s a fashionable addition for some devs and a lot of people are having fun with it but…

3 Likes

We are aware of this trend, and have been playing with it. Not sure how serious to take it yet, but we will keep it in mind. It would be quite easy to integrate, but we would have to consider how to pay for it.

4 Likes

I’ve been an avid user of ChatGPT since the start and forcing myself to keep finiding use-cases. I have a ton now :slight_smile:

I have played with Notion as well and find it pretty useful. I think it’s worth to consider bringing OpenAI’s toolkit to Agenda.

Can you give us some examples of use cases you’ve found valuable? I think that people need to see how generative AI would help in a note-taking app.

How about a usage based model. Users buy usage credits from you and then they can use it as ittle or as much as they want, and buy more credits when needed. Or not use it at all. And that gives you a little more recurring revenue. Every notetaking app is going to have it. I don’t think Agenda willl want to be left out.

Not ruling anything out, but also don’t want to jump on the hype just for the sake of it. Want to understand the use cases better.

I have been using it myself for a few things, but I haven’t really thought at any point “I must have this in Agenda”. I just use it on the web site and copy over the results.

As for sales models, we would have to think about that. Don’t want to complicate things. Would depend on the price as to whether we would work it into existing plans, or would need some separate purchase. A separate purchase is more work in the sense that it introduces a lot of new UI to support the purchase.

We’ll see what others are doing, and see if we think it makes sense. Pretty early days.

3 Likes

I understand completely. I use it to summarize my notes and I must say it is quite helpful. Just my 2 cents.

I keep my writing and social posts on agenda but have recently been writing in Notion then using AI for refining and recommendations.

I’ve also summarised notes and pulled out action points from meeting minutes.

I keep random notes in Agenda but sometimes Google further information or facts. It would be useful to leverage AI to directly insert information.

I not sure that the website is going to contiue to be free. I thnk it’s just available now as a preview.

IDK why increased payment should be in consideration at all, after new premium scheme. I love agenda, really, but hey, i am not printing money, especially after Agenda got notion’s price tag (which a bit overprice without any excuses, notion is simply way larger and wider thing, even without any AI tech) Agenda is awesome, but it’s awesome for taking notes, linking notes with time via events etc., plus its very nice option for moderate sized personal database/wiki (convenient tags, interlinked notes, code snippets and many other lovely stuff for which Agenda definitely should be given credit), but it Notion is… i mean, not that it’s better, it’s larger. On any perspective. Its not necessary will be a better option for abstract user, no, but i guess if everyone have to pick just one Notion going to win because of so much larger scope.

And while i was using it for free via code, and decided to purchase afterwards, apple put Cubox on App Store homepage, and damn, its also very professional and polished app, with one subscription covers all, iOS, iPad OS, Macs and even WatchOS, for 15 bucks a year if you accepting offer from iPhone (and its absolutely the same as 2.5 times more expensive one, i talked to support and got confirmation), app is kind of notion competitor, and i probably wont surprise you if I’ll say that they rolled out AI assistant same week Notion did. And have i told you about price increase? No? Ah, because there is none.

The summarization idea is interesting. Hadn’t really considered that.

If I understand how people are using it, it falls into these basic categories:

• Summarize a chunk of text
  • Generate some text on some topic
  • Select a chunk of text and ask for improvements (?)

Other use cases or details about above?

1 Like

I’ve seen translate (to another language).
Improve writing, which I do use.
Spelling and grammar.
Change tone.
:+1:

1 Like

Thanks! Useful.

1 Like

As an AI language model, Chat GPT has the ability to perform various tasks such as retrieving information, providing step-by-step instructions, generating programming code, and re-writing text to meet specific requirements such as style, type, length, and tone.

One more very important thing for notetaking. Is that chat? GPT can reformat whatever text you give it. For example, it can convert a bunch of names all pushed together into a table or a list. It can literally do some data cleaning and analysis.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, I’ve been using it quite a bit myself for odds and ends. It’s not that I don’t think it is useful, I just wonder how important it is that it be embedded in Agenda. Personally, I quite like to have it in a separate location, a type of scratchpad, so that I can copy things worth keeping into Agenda.

But we are following all this closely, and considering our options. (Note also there is a cost to consider. It’s not free for commercial use.)

1 Like

Here are some more use cases specifically for note-taking applications. I apologize for the YouTube video format, but I think it is worth the little amount of time it takes to watch it. In the video, Tiago Forte discusses how he is using Notion’s built-in AI. No…this is not a plug for Notion…I’m not a fan. But since it is a note-taking application, I think this is about as on point as you are going to see for an argument to building AI into Agenda. Plus, I think that with Agenda’s particular timeline-based approach, the right AI core could evolve into some very, very interesting developments that we can’t even see yet. So I’m going to stick with what I can see.

The video link: Using Notion AI to Save 12+ Hours of Work

Thanks for the link. I think that video shows the power of ChatGPT, so if you’ve never used it, you will be impressed.

I’m still not convinced though that it is a great fit inside Notion. I do all of those things already, and I do it by simply copying the note into ChatGPT, and copying anything I want to keep back again.

That copy/paste process may seem like a disadvantage, but to me it feels better. I take the note away, process it in some way, and bring it back again, but only what works. I don’t litter my note with Portuguese translations if I don’t want to keep that.

A telling aspect of this was that the video shows ChatGPT extracting action items. That’s a nice feature, but you see also that ChatGPT adds a prompt after that “These are what I found. Do you want to search anymore?”. In other words, the chat interface is now rather crudely embedded in your note. To me, a note is not the same as a chat, and this doesn’t quite feel right.

I’m not saying we won’t add some of this to Agenda in some form, but it should feel right when we do. I want to see where this is going. I suspect we will see platform providers integrating this stuff in their OSes. If so, it would probably be better to adopt whatever Apple provides as the standard approach.

2 Likes

In the words of Mark Cuban when he addressed the criticism of the sound quality of internet radio, “…today is the worst it will ever sound.” In other words, what Notion is using today is just the beginning. This is a space that will very rapidly evolve.

One example I hope that Agenda will follow is Microsoft’s Copilot for Office 365. One of the real features is that Copilot (powered by ChatGPT and some other Microsoft tech), knows about the work you have on your computer. So when you are using it it is aware of other documents, emails, Teams chats, etc.

Imagine Agenda being able to have the context from being continuously trained on your Agenda notes to date. Also, using Share Sheets, imagine being able to do things like having a selection of emails forwarded to it so that it can pull a summary, action items, unaddressed questions, etc., and put them into a note. Or being able to take a Project full of notes and ask it to generate a summary that is then emailed, Slacked, sent to a Pages documents for a report, or sent to Keynote for a presentation. If Agenda isn’t doing this, I’ll bet that Apple adds it into their core system. I think they have to in order to keep up with Microsoft and Google.

Maybe Apple will do as they have so often done and disclose a new “Core” library that enables all of the developers out there to add it to their apps. That would be beyond cool. However, how long can apps like Agenda ignore what is happening and not respond to it? They run the risk of having people leave their apps and never come back because this very shiny new capability (for better or worse) is going to be a “must-have”.

1 Like