Workflow query: what qualifies as a reminder (for the Reminders app) vs a task (to list in a note in Agenda)?

Obviously everyone will have a unique take on this. I’m just wondering what everyone’s take is!

I try to keep my ‘reminders’ as things to action that day, and then my tasks as things to do when I’m working on a project (but not necessarily to be completed urgently that day). But I consistently mess it up and overload my reminders list with things that aren’t so time sensitive. I think the reason for this is that it’s easier to quickly enter a task in Reminders rather than open agenda, navigate to a project, add a task to a list…

Hence my eagerness to find out what you all do.

1 Like

I use Agenda for just about all my tasks. I have projects, but I also just have a single “Daily Tasks” note that is always on the Agenda, and always easy to find. That is used for throw away stuff I need to do today or in the coming days. It’s a dropbox for quick tasks.

I only add a reminder to a task if it is time critical. If I need to get an “alarm”, I will put a a reminder on the task. But I have many, many more tasks than reminders. My reminder app is only a few things a day at most, while a task list for something I am working on could be up to 100 tasks, and then several notes in the project. Making a reminder for each one wouldn’t make a lot of sense.

I haven’t really managed to use Agenda for to-dos because they get lost in the midst of other notes.

When we come to something in a meeting that I have to do, I quickly format it as a to-do (⌘⇧C) and then when the meeting is over, I scan through and copy those to Omnifocus where I can park them with the other items that are on my plate.

1 Like

Another option is to add a tag in notes that have unfinished to-dos, and then make an overview for that tag. Make it less likely you miss them. Remove the tag when all the items are done in the note. (Alternatively, just use On-the-Agenda the same way)

We do plan to improve search in the not too distant future, and being able to find notes with incomplete to-dos is certainly part of that plan.

3 Likes

Another option is to add a tag in notes that have unfinished to-dos, and then make an overview for that tag. Make it less likely you miss them. Remove the tag when all the items are done in the note. (Alternatively, just use On-the-Agenda the same way)

I tried this for a while but it was just too much manual work to tag and untag notes.

Our search changes are getting closer, so hopefully we can offer a real solution to this in the not too distant future.

1 Like