Web-App Access

I use Agenda 100% for work on my Mac and mobile devices.

Web access through a browser will work better. I currently have to send myself note content through email and then copy/paste to agenda on my Mac.

Not the best workflow, but my work laptop is locked and we are not allowed to use cloud storage to sync.

Just late-adding to this…

PLEASE do not put our data in a subsidised cloud. It will scale the costs pretty rapidly and, with time, ruin the great premium model that Agenda currently offers (speaking as a lifelong user since the first release, and now recent Lifetime license supporter).

The current model is just perfect, if not perhaps adding Box and Google Drive.

Having the ability to store our own data, our own way, is the very reason why (on top of well thought features and impeccable IxD sense for the experience) I am 100% convinced that Agenda is far ahead of the all conventionalised sameness of other apps.

Sure, add more personal cloud options, add even a local data (offline) option.

Just don’t add a subsidised Agenda cloud. Ever! :smile:

Hi,

As an idea, in my workflow the critical step is the input of data into Agenda with the lowest friction possible. So, if we could auto-import notes from a source (eg shared folder), in markdown format, to an inbox in the app to order them later there, wold be very helpful.
Thanks

This may well already be possible using Shortcuts. I think you could add an action when a file is added to file, and take the content of the file and pass it to Agenda to create a new note. Perhaps worth asking in the Shortcuts section of this site.

1 Like

Hey Drew,

Just thinking about this…

What would be the use case for read-only files online?

There are so many tools that allow for commenting (non-users) and editing (users), I wonder if it would be even worth the effort?

Unless Agenda can be used via a browser, with minimal editing and commenting functionality, I cannot see how is users could benefit from the suggestions above? (Speaking for myself of course).

Sure, a read-only Agenda page could be a private blog… but that’s about it?

Cheers for the continued great work.

1 Like

Yeah, read-only would probably be a step towards real web editing, which is quite a bit more difficult. The main use would be that you could share notes in real time with people who don’t have Agenda. Eg. meeting notes as they happen.

But agree with you that the usefulness is limited. Would be more like a logical intermediate step.

2 Likes

@drewmccormack I think the possibility to have a web version of Agenda is a big jump and a lot of work for you (and I guess a major cost), but something you should think about because it will push the app to another level. I told that shortly even to @mekentosj when we met in Lisbon last year.

1 Like

I would also love to have a web-based interface, since my work computer is Windows. It could look exactly like this community page, honestly. And I wouldn’t care if there were fewer features, because I have my Macbook and my phone and so on.

You would be opening your app up to an entirely new market of users if you were web-based. I just switched to a Mac, and that’s what pushed me over into investing in the Lifetime Subscription. Plenty of people who are in the Windows eco-system are looking for this kind of solution, even if it doesn’t sync with their to-do app and calendar (although syncing with Google Calendar, etc. would be amazing)

Thanks for the feedback! It would be a major project, and require us to host people’s data, which is something we have not really done much so far. We have been relying on services like iCloud.

One question: an alternative approach to a web app would be an option to “mirror” your notes as markdown in a folder on your Mac. You could put the folder anywhere, including in Dropbox or similar, and then access it on a Windows machine. Any edits would be imported again on the Mac later. Is this option interesting to you, or is the web app much preferred?

Just trying to get a feel. (The web app is a lot more difficult/expensive for us than the “mirror” option.)

I found the “markdown” command under “Share.” If I’m understanding you correctly, the option does not exist now to mirror it, but that’s easier to add than a web-based interface? I’m pretty firmly in the Google ecosystem, so I’ll see if I can figure out how to put it on Google Drive (or, at least, the notes related to work.

Honestly, I think this is just a sign that I shouldn’t leave home without my Macbook. LOL

Thanks!

Right, this feature doesn’t exist yet. It’s an option to a full web app which would be easier for us to build. I was just wondering if you would find it useful.

The way it would work is that you would choose a folder in your Google Drive, and Agenda would make markdown text files in there. You could then read the files on your work computer, and even edit them. It would just be text files, so not as nice as Agenda, but you could at least do basic edits.

That would be better than nothing! For now I find myself making temporary notes in Google Keep and then copying them into Agenda when I get back to my computer. It’s not terrible. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback!