Unable to see calendar

What I did:
I’m trying to associate an Agenda note with a calendar item. I clicked the Calendar icon next to the note title to open the calendar control.

What happened:
It opened, but the only calendar it could see is one of the ones I subscribe to in macOS Calendar — U.S. Holidays. My actual calendar is not visible.

What I expected:
I expected to see my entire calendar so I could select a meeting coming up this afternoon.

Things that might be helpful to know (Agenda version, OS and model, etc):

My calendar data is entirely in a Microsoft 365/Exchange account. I can see it clearly inside three different apps in macOS — Apple’s Calendar, Fantastical, and Outlook. Clear as day, it’s all in there. In Agenda, I go to Settings > Calendar, and it has All Calendars as the setting for Shown Calendar. But if I click the down arrow next to it, it shows ONLY Subscribed Calendars.

Interestingly, for shoots and giggles, I created a local calendar in Apple Calendar (“On My Mac”). This calendar and entries I create on it show just fine inside Agenda.

It’s like it cannot see anything but a local calendar.

Is this really the case? I am missing something? How do I get my 365 work calendar that Apple’s apps see natively just fine to show up in Agenda?

If that’s not possible, I gotta say that would be a staggeringly massive - almost jaw droppingly unbeleivable - gap.

1 Like

In order to use Agenda with the calendars, they have to be in the system calendar store. That means you have to set them up in the Calendar app. Once you have them visible there, you can close the Calendar app and don’t need it anymore. It is just to setup the system calendar store.

Note that this has nothing to do with local or remote. You can add your exchange calendar to Apple Calendar, after which it will be in Agenda (and any other apps using the Calendar store on your system). You are not required to use Calendar after that.

Hope that helps!

That’s what I’m saying. It is visible in the calendar app because I have it setup in there. It is not visible in Agenda.

OS settings includes my account with calendar data, storing it in the calendar store

It is fully visible inside Apple’s Calendar software

This is the specific entry on 17 July 2024 I am trying to associate with the agenda item

Agenda settings are set to show all calendars, but it doesn’t show anything from the calendar store except for the U.S. holiday feed.

Nor does it show anything but that holiday in the calendar control when trying to associate a calendar entry to an agenda entry

If it’s supposed to work fine like this, I cannot for the life of me figure out what I’m doing wrong. Is there something dead obvious right in front of my face?

It seems like that should work. Have you tried restarting the Mac, just to see if it is something stuck in the database store?

In the Agenda settings, you can choose to exclude calendars, but I assume you didn’t do that, in which case they should all show up.

Yes, I have rebooted multiple times. And as you can see in the screenshots, I have not de-selected any calendars in Agenda settings - it only shows one of them, the U.S. Holidays feed.

Does it help to remove the calendar from Apple Calendars, and then add it back again?

It doesn’t. I’ve added and removed it multiple times. Rebooted several times.

OK, apparently there is an exchange setting which prevents it from being available outside of the Calendar app.

More info is here: Dates, Events, and Reminders

What setting would that be? Lots of apps have no problem seeing Exchange/365 calendars pulled from the calendar store, both on macOS and iOS. Fantastical can do it. Waze. Things. Moleskin Actions. Evernote.

Fantastical doesn’t use the calendar store. They access the exchange server directly. I suspect your employer has some setting that only allows Calendar app to see the events, but not other apps using the system calendar store.

I don’t know about the other apps.

But you might be right, it may not have that protection setting set. You can check as follows (from the link I sent)…

If your Mac, iPhone or iPad is managed by your work through so-called mobile device management (MDM) profiles, it might prevent Agenda from accessing your work calendars (e.g. from Office365 or Exchange). To verify whether this is the case, go to Settings > General > Profiles to check if you have indeed an MDM profile installed and other it has the following specific restriction listed: “Opening documents from managed to unmanaged apps not allowed”. If you have an MDM profile with this restriction installed by default it will not allow sharing of your calendars with Agenda.
To resolve this, you will need to speak with your workplace’s administrator, who will be able to grant Agenda the necessary clearance it needs to access your managed calendars. Specifically, Agenda either needs to be added as a managed app in the MDM profile, which allows it to access iOS’s calendar data, or the “Opening documents from managed to unmanaged apps not allowed” restriction needs to be removed from the MDM profile.

I’m experiencing the same issue but this is for my personal email address, not work. Of note, it is a .edu address. Please advise.

So you do see the calendar events in Apple’s Calendar app?

In the Agenda Settings, is it setup to show all calendars? Did you perhaps exclude one?

Is it possible the email server is controlled by Microsoft Exchange? Or is it perhaps on a phone controlled by your institution, such that they are preventing calendar events from being shared?

I too have this issue — seeing the calendars I subscribe to but not my personal iCal. Thought it was just me— will go look at my settings, restart, etc.

If you can’t see the calendars, one last trick to try on Mac is:

Does it help if you:

• quit Agenda
  • in Go to Folder under the Go menu in Finder, paste:
    ~/Library/Group Containers/WRBK2Z2EG7.group.com.momenta.agenda.macos/Release/Application/DerivedInfo/
  • make a backup copy of the CachedInfo folder, then delete it
  • start Agenda

Do things works as they should after that?

Something that occurred to me, if you haven’t tried it yet, is to toggle the calendar permission in the Settings app. Search for “calendar” in the Settings app, and in the Privacy section, check first that Agenda has permission, and that the options are “Full Access”.

If it does look correct, try turning it off, waiting a few seconds, and then turning it on again. Maybe that would clear any issue.

Drew,

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you. On my iPad Pro, Settings>Calendar>Accounts> add my .edu addy

Worked :wink: