The display is incorrect when I type in Japanese

japanese
language
bug

#1

When I use the Japanese IME, the input character string disappears or garbled characters occur.


#2

Hmm, I don’t have any experience with Japanese. Can you give an example? Perhaps paste a string here, and then screenshots of how it should look, and how it looks in our app?

Drew


#3

This screenshot will show you the weirdness of Japanese conversion. I will take a screenshot again when I can find garbled characters.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v5q3dmesxt0b8b1/Capto_Capture%202017-12-23_10-50-08_PM.mov?dl=0


#4

I have a related problem with Japanese Input Methods. In the title field of notes, Japanese text is partially disappeared.

When I typed β€œniho”, it should be shown underlined β€œγ«γ»β€ in Hiragana. However Agenda shows only left half of β€œγ»β€.


#5

So is the problem more layout, ie, that things get cut off, or are the characters you enter showing up completely wrong? Ie wrong language characters?


#6

I’ve just uploaded new screen capture about this issue.


#7

The problem is consolidated into two points. One is that character strings are not displayed when you enter double-byte characters. The second thing is that typing a double-byte character will display it with the wrong character code.


#8

In my case, the problem is seems to be related to layout.

I tried to debug and found AutosizingTextField. I think that it will expand according to the length of the entered characters. However, is not it working well with Japanese uncommitted text.


#9

So you mean it gets cut off when you have only entered part of the symbol? When you finish the symbol, does it fix itself?


#10

The problem is very likely some transformation of the text we are making. Perhaps we are not properly handling the double glyphs somewhere.

It would probably help a lot if someone could give us a little test. Tell us exactly what to type, and how to type it, and what should be shown. I have never worked with Japanese, so will need some explicit instructions about how to enter the text to see the issue. Then I can do some tests and track it down.


#11

Japanese is expressed using Hiragana and Kanji. In Japanese input methods, you can input Japanese text a few steps.

First, you can enter Hiragana from any alphabetic keyboard. Hiragana is a phonetic character. The letter β€œγ“β€ pronounces [ko]. To enter this letter, enter β€œko” with the alphabet.

If you type korehanihongodesu., you will see γ“γ‚Œγ―γ«γ»γ‚“γ”γ§γ™γ€‚ in Hiragana.

The Hiragana string entered here has not yet been committed. That uncommitted string is shown as underlined. At this point, Japanese input methods display candidates for this uncommitted string. By selecting the suitable conversion result from the candidates, you can enter Kanji.

γ“γ‚Œγ―γ«γ»γ‚“γ”γ§γ™γ€‚ will be converted to γ“γ‚Œγ―ζ—₯本θͺžγ§γ™γ€‚ (means β€œThis is Japanese.”). In this example, ζ—₯本θͺž is Kanji.

When you select a candidate, the string is committed and the underline disappears.


So, I mean uncommitted string gets cut off. And I commit the string, it has fixed.


#12

Thanks for the explanation, we’ll dive onto it


#14

The same issue happens to the Chinese IME. All double-byte input seems to be affected. I also experienced predictable crashes when typing in tags in Chinese.


#15

Thanks all for the help, one question, is the problem only in the title field or also in the main notes area?


#16

Both title field and main notes have some problems with CJK IME, but their behaviours are different. In the title field, characters are shown right after they’re typed, as it should be, but only a narrow part of the text can be seen until a space or enter is pressed.


#17

In the main notes area. The characters are not visible at all (until a space or enter is pressed).


#18

Thanks a lot, I’ve just fixed the title issue, the main notes area is next, we hope to have both fixed in the next update later this week.


#19

UPDATE: Today’s c3 update includes fixes for handling multi-byte languages such as Japanese and Chinese in the title field of the note, please let us know if the title field now behaves correctly. We will focus on correct handling in the text area next (which is not yet fixed in this update). Thanks for the feedback and your patience!


#20

UPDATE: The new c4 update includes fixes for Chinese and Japanese in the main text editing area of notes. Please let us know if there are any remaining issues.


#21

I think that all the problems I experienced have been fixed :smile:

Thank you so much.