The date-assign panel

Thanks for developing this amazing app.

One small thing: could you please make it easier to assign the date (for example, through typing?) It becomes tricky when I want to go back or forward many months.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Great to hear you like Agenda so much!

In practise after you have used Agenda for a while you rarely back-date notes a lot, so we donā€™t feel thereā€™s much need to adapt the panel. We do hear what you say and certainly in the beginning you might have quite a lot of notes with dates in the past. One thing I had almost forgotten, which [this post reminded me of] is that there is a trick that kind of does what you ask for. If you add the date in the title then Agenda tries to parse that and show the calendar date when you call up the calendar, for example if this is the title of the note:

Meeting 21 jan 2017

Youā€™ll notice that the calendar popover will open with January 2017 visible. One thing that I noticed is that you do need to exit the title or hit enter before hitting the calendar icon if you have just changed the title in order to make sure it has been saved. Iā€™ll try to see if I can fix that so that thatā€™s no longer necessary.

2 Likes

Is this ā€œtrickā€ still working in v6.0.1 from the App Store @mekentosj? Iā€™ve just tried it (as I begin to manually import hundreds of notes exported from Day One) and Iā€™m not finding that the parsing is working. I would LOVE it if it were still working though, as clicking through each month in the date picker is getting to be a bit tedious.

Yes, if you enter a date in the title of the note, then click the date icon it should parse it. Another trick by the way is that you can use the alt/option key when clicking the back/forward buttons to make the calendar jump a year instead of a month.

1 Like

Ah ha! I figured it outā€¦ It was a combination of your guidance and switching off the Preference ā€œAssign New Notes to Todayā€.

And thank you VERY much for the tip about jumping back by years!

Ah, great to hear you found the cause!

I would find it useful to type in dates. One, itā€™s just faster and less error-prone (you wonā€™t believe how many times I pick a day from a calendar without actually looking at the month). Second, for notes that span a date range, thereā€™s no simple way that I know of to move the start date later, or the end date sooner.

You can move the start date sooner by shift-clicking an earlier date (on Mac only, I havenā€™t found a way on iOS), and you can move the end date later by shift-clicking a later date. But if you shift-click the middle, then Agenda naturally doesnā€™t know if you mean ā€œmove the start date laterā€ or ā€œmove the end date earlier.ā€

Granted itā€™s not the most common case, but when shifting notes around various date ranges, having to shift-click is cumbersome, and iPad is just too painful to even attempt.

Yes, weā€™d still like to bring back the option to type a date in this panel, we have an idea already how to do it, just need to find the time ;D

1 Like

I find the panel super fiddly, and nearly impossible to select a range of dates (mostly because the panel starts jumping around the calendar once I start dragging).

I would honestly appreciate a simple text interface that lets me quickly type a range of dates rather than having to use the current widget.

(This is on iOS. Havenā€™t tried it on the Mac yet.)

(Ok, I tried selecting a range of dates on Mac, and itā€™s even worse. I canā€™t seem to do what I want there at all. It selects random dates when I click and drag, and I canā€™t get it to change months.)

Selecting a range of dates is easier on Mac than iOS in my experience: click the start date, shift-click the end date. No dragging required.

I have a different issue with assigning dates (macOS). Perhaps this has been addressed previously? When creating a calendar event linked to the selected note, Agenda offers to set the time of the event at (apparently) the nearest 5 minute interval to the time when I create the event. E.g., I told Agenda too create an event, and when I opened the dialog my clock was at 11:56 AM, so Agenda offers to create the event on the date I select ā€“ starting at 11:55 AM. Ending 30 minutes later at 12:25 PM. Iā€™d much prefer Agenda to either not offer a start/end time, or offer the nearest half hout, but not having to fix the minutes values of start/end times every time I create an event in this dialog. Who schedules events other than on 15 minute or 30 minute start times on the clock?

Thanks a lot for the shift-click hint, this does indeed make it way easier to select the range I want. I canā€™t figure out whatā€™s going on when I drag the mouse. Iā€™d post a screencap, but Iā€™m not allowed ĀÆ\ _(惄)_/ĀÆ

Thatā€™s good feedback, weā€™ll make that a little less granular.

The issue you are seeing with the jumping calendar is due to new events being loaded from your calendar the first time you hit a new date that Agenda never saw before. It will cache these though so generally itā€™s only the first time this happens, after that the behaviour should be a lot smoother. Itā€™s unfortunately not something we can trivially avoid (without very aggressively trying to cache most of your calendar ahead of time).

Iā€™m running into the same problem with back-dating that other users are having. Iā€™m copying notes over from another record-keeping system and every note has to be back dated. But instead of just being able to type in the date, I have to navigate the date picker:

For this project, Iā€™m not interested in creating calendar entries for my Agenda notes. I just want to date the notes.

I hear your argument that if youā€™re using Agenda daily, this isnā€™t a problem. But thatā€™s not always the case. And I guess I just donā€™t buy the argument that the date-picker is so easy to use that a box for typing in a date is unnecessary. What could be more intuitive than just typing in a date for a note?

The way I would implement this would be to show a simple entry field when the user clicks the date link, where the user could type in a date or a natural language equivalent (ā€œtomorrowā€, ā€œSundayā€, etc.). And then you could have some kind of button for the much larger date picker that youā€™ve got now. And maybe people who are used to the old way will give you a hard time, so youā€™ll probably have to make this an option in the settings. But it would just be so much more straightforward to type a date.

Or, maybe at the bottom of the dialog box where it shows the date (ā€œDate: January 17, 2019ā€) ā€” just make that editable:

A few remarks:

1. note that you can jump much quicker back in time if you hold the shift key while clicking the arrows in the last screenshot you showed, this will make it jump by year rather than month.

2. you can also use the arrow button in the lower right corner in that same screenshot to jump to a number of presets (including today and tomorrow)

3. yes, we would still like to add that missing textfield that allows you to navigate by natural language, simply havenā€™t gotten to it yet.

Set a time-range on iOS (iPad) is not friendly, when you want to have a range from start to end (as mentioned before).
As @Pat_Maddox wrote in another thread, he start a note and set time-range until its end. I like that. So I would be glad, if there would be a button like: until. Range from today until a picked day. Or just set start and end of the range instead of sliding on the panel (on iOS).
Because sliding from p.e. 16. Sept. until 20. Nov. wonā€™t work.

We hope to have version 11 out very soon, please check once itā€™s out if sliding still doesnā€™t work for you.

Checked today. Works well. Now I can slide several month.
Thank you for keep going and make a great App even better!

1 Like