I’m fully expecting the answers here to be a touch one sided (given where we are!), but I thought I’d ask for your opinions anyway.
I’ve spent the last few years really trying to use 1 or 2 apps to “run my life” so to speak.
Now, I have a very uncomplicated life. My shared calendar with my wife houses the bulk of my organisation, and I’ve tried a variety of note taking/task management apps to see if I can get into the habit of sorting things out.
To date, I’ve used (note, I’m solely Mac/iOS).
• 2Do (it was cheap, seemed to have a lot of solid functionality, and worked on Mac/iOS).
• Asana (so I could try and encourage my wife to share tasks - I’ve now resigned myself to that never happening )
• Bear (I instantly liked the feel of it and bought the annual subscription a year ago. Tried to get used to it, but hated the fact it was difficult to quickly jot a note down as it always defaulted to the title. Abandoned it quite quickly).
• Apple Notes (This is the one I always come back to, because the sync is good and you can quickly jot down little bits of information like a phone number of email address without any fuss).
• Things 3 (I absolutely love Things 3 - The design is gorgeous, and it was enough for me to drop the £’s on all 3 versions (iPhone, iPad and Mac). Because of the money I’ve spent on it, I try and force myself to use it as much as I can - However, the reality is I have little need for a solid task manager, and it’s now resigned to a few repeating tasks each week (like what colour bin day it is, or to flea the dog etc). As I’m sure you lot know, it’s not a good note replacement app).
However, as I’ve already spent the money, it’s sticking around and I’ll use it a little each week, although I’m really not getting my money’s worth there!
• Ulysses (I bought this for some longer form writing for online reviews and blogs - Currently on the subscription (on the upgrade price of £26.99 per year). Again, I just don’t use it enough, and it doesn’t feel particularly friendly for short little notes.
Tl:dr - I’m pretty much using Apple Notes because it’s easy to jot simple things down and a shared calendar with my wife so we know what’s going on.
I’m now giving Agenda a go for a few reasons.
• I’ve watched how it was made, read the forum and can clearly see the love that has been put into it from the creators.
• I love the look of it and the sync between devices is instant.
• I like the fact that the date doesn’t update when you edit a note - So you can always see when it was first created (unlike Apple Notes and Bear).
• The general “folder” type structure is better for me than tags, which I’ve never really got used to.
The few downsides I’ve experienced in my very short time using Agenda…
• No obvious/quick way to add a new note - For example, if I’m on a call and I need to jot down a phone number, there are a number of clicks I need to do before I can do that - I’ve then got to give the note a title (whilst this was one of my bug bears with Bear, I should probably get used to using titles on notes).
• When looking through lots of long notes, the condensed view is OK, but it still feels a bit of a faff to get there, and there is no “summary” of the note - The first 2 lines would be great.
• I’m struggling to make use of the “On the Agenda” or “Today” view - This feels very “GTD” and is similar to Things in a way - How do others make use of this?
I’m sure a few more pros and cons will come up as I go along, but I wondered if you good folk of the community could wade in on any thoughts you had from all of that.
If you have come this far and have actually read it all… Well… Gold star to you!