Text actions in titles and editing titles when collapsed

Dear Alex,

It would be helpful if you could use text actions in titles. I often find myself needing and even trying to do this, such as inserting or assigning a date.

Thank you for considering.

Alex

It would also be good to be able to edit titles when note is collapsed. I try to do that quite a lot.

And which text action exactly doesn’t work?
Show an example and how you use it.

So I’ve been using the Mac app almost exclusively and text shortcuts don’t work in titles at all. For example, ‘\today’ and ‘\date(day:today)’ both work fine in the note body, but in the title nothing changes and the text shortcut text remains after I press Return.

However, on the iPhone app, ‘\date(day:today)’ works and inserts today’s date, whereas ‘\today’ does not. Although the text shortcut disappears, the note remains unchanged.
I think there must be some bugs here?

Thanks,

Alex

Text actions \today or \tomorrow works under the title. This also assigns the day in the calendar.

Maybe the Text Actions Cheat Sheet is simply missing a note where the text actions don’t work as expected? :wink:

I started this topic because I would like to be able to use text shortcuts in titles. Since I started using Agenda, I’ve attempted to do this several times on my Mac, hoping it would work, but the shortcuts aren’t recognised.

However, yesterday I tried using them in the titles of notes on my iPhone and was surprised to find that they are recognised to some extent, although autocomplete doesn’t appear and some shortcuts (like “\today”) have no effect.

Regardless of the current behaviour of text shortcuts in titles, I hope that they can be fully supported in the future.

Thanks,

Alex

Currently only \date, \time, and \now are text actions that are supported in title. We’ll consider expanding the support items but are a bit reluctant as we don’t want to go as far as adding the entire autocompletion system.

Re: collapsing, we’ll consider making the title editable but have to be careful with that for a number of technical reasons.

Currently only \date , \time , and \now are > text actions that are supported in title.

I miss information like this in the cheat sheet for text actions.

OK, thanks. How come “\date(day:today)” works on iOS but not on Mac?

Also, what’s the downside to having the full autocomplete?

I would love to be able to have links in titles, because often I link to an email or document related to a note (using Hookmark), and then I could have them visible when the note is collapsed.

We’ll add the info, thanks for reminding us

How come \date(day:today) works on iOS but not on Mac?

This one works for me on both Mac and iOS. By the way, instead of \date(day:today) you can just type \date (without any parameters), but I just tried and \date(day: tomorrow) works for me on Mac too

Also, what’s the downside to having the full autocomplete?

Some commands kind of really need auto-completion but for technical reasons this is not just a matter of flipping a switch.

I would love to be able to have links in titles, because often I link to an email or document related to a note (using Hookmark), and then I could have them visible when the note is collapsed.

For now we want to keep titles simple and therefore we don’t want to support links, tags etc. In Agenda 20 there will be more options (not exactly supporting everything in the title, but a different approach as to what you want to be visible).

Hi,

That’s understandable about the autocomplete – it’s easy to request features without having to consider the technical implications!

Still, though, I can’t use any text shortcuts in titles on the mac app. Please check this video:

Thanks,

Alex

I see, what’s missing is a space following the command, which is what is currently needed to process the text action in the title. We’ll try to make it also process on loosing focus/return, good catch.

Currently in Agenda the title is the only indexed item available for linking. Its’ location and name will always be used to create the identifier of any link. Hookmark will by default use the note title as the link title. You can also link to the note when it’s collapsed. Invoking Hookmark on your already hooked note or mail item will show the link and backlink to the other, w/Title or also in hooks bookmarks window at any time.

Ahh, that explains it. Thanks :raised_hands:

I’m still not able to enter say ‘\today’ or ‘\tomorrow’ to assign that date to the note. After I enter a space ‘\today’ or ‘\tomorrow’ disappears but no action is taken.

\today, \tomorrow etc etc are not currently supported

Ahh, ok. When you enter ‘\today’ followed by a space, it is recognised and removed so it feels like a bug rather than not supported.

Yes, you could argue that if a syntax is not supported it should simply stay the way it is, although that probably leads to doubt whether the syntax is correct. Now it’s recognised but a no-op. We’ll have a think at what is the preferred action.

1 Like

Thanks, I agree if the command is going to do nothing then it should stay the way it is.