Text Actions Cheat Sheet

Yes, you can either choose the preformatted paragraph style from the Format menu and then type or paste the text, or if you have already text copied from somewhere else, use the Edit > Paste As > Preformatted option.

Note also that there is a variant called “Fixed Width”, which is preformatted embedded in a different paragraph style. Preformatted is a paragraph style, and “Fixed width” is like bold or italic.

Thank you! This is closer to what I wanted. The Preformatted style turns the entire block into the style and not just a piece of it. I can highlight the fixed with portion to make it stand out,

1 Like

Can you all make this cheat sheet an Agenda file, so we can import this for reference??

Thanks!

We’re a bit reluctant to do so as this is a living document that we keep on updating as new features are added, the Agenda file would be harder to keep in sync.

Yes, an agenda file is a static document. That makes sense. How do you keep all of this stuff in your head - all the things you have to think about?

To a large extent the easiest way is to use the autocompletion system as it guides you through all options, just type a backslash (\) character and all options will be shown, typing an opening parenthesis will show all parameters, etc etc.

Yes, you are right; autocompletion should be trusted and relied upon. Much of the time, I don’t even know that something I want to automate can be used as a text action. I’m just going to print it out and keep it in my reference binder.

I was in a hurry; I should have used more words: How do developers keep all of the technical considerations as to when and how best to support an application straight. No normal user would think of these things, re keeping the Text Actions Cheat Sheet on the Discourse forum and not releasing it as a document for each user’s Agenda installation.

1 Like

I’ve been using this for a while as a crutch.You can also set it up show any custom kb shortcuts. Or just create a pdf of the cheat sheet.

1 Like

Is there a way to set a color for a note without using the mouse? I’m using colors to differentiate my notes and would like to have a method to set the color easily. Thank you.

Also, is there a way to remove an assigned date?

Thanks

Removing a Date

To remove an existing date or range of dates from a note…

1. Select the note.
  2. Click/tap the date button top-right on the note.
  3. Either…
  • Click/tap on the selected date to deselect it, or…
  • Click/tap on empty space at the bottom of the calendar to deselect.
  1. Click/tap the Remove Date button.

I don’t know the text action for this.

There’s no text actions for this at the moment, we’ll consider adding one

Thanks, text actions for colouring notes and removing an assigned date would be great.

Is there an action to assign a date range?

Also, how does it work exactly that you can assign with just \assign(whenever), but the autocompleted version is \assign-date?

Thanks

There’s no date range option yet for assign date.

Also, how does it work exactly that you can assign with just \assign(whenever), but the autocompleted version is \assign-date?

assign-date is the official text action but for almost all text actions we also support what we call variants, as some people associate different terms and version with a certain action. For example, you can use \star but also \flag. When autocompleting we pick the default variant (\star in this example), but if you start typing \fl you’ll see that it suggests \flag.

\assign is simply a shorter variant of the more descriptive \assign-date action, you can use either as you prefer

Thanks for explaining

1 Like

I’m still having trouble getting the date stuff right.

Today is Sun 24 March:

• When I do ‘\date(day: last wed)’ I get Wednesday 13th March, rather than Wednesday 20th March (the last wed) as I would expect. Is there a way to ask for the last Wed?

• When I do ‘\date(offset: 3 weeks)’ get today’s date. However, ‘date(in: 3 weeks)’ works.

Thanks

• When I do ‘\date(day: last wed)’ I get Wednesday 13th March, rather than Wednesday 20th March (the last wed) as I would expect. Is there a way to ask for the last Wed?

This parsing is done by Apple’s frameworks, not sure why it would pick last week’s Wednesday but that’s probably how it’s interpreted, natural language based dates are messy alas.

• When I do ‘\date(offset: 3 weeks)’ get today’s date. However, ‘date(in: 3 weeks)’ works.

We’ll check why the offset one doesn’t work, it might be an error in the documentation as I recall it takes a positive or negative integer for the number of days after or before today, respectively.

1 Like

Ahh, ok. I’ve been a Fantastical user for years because of their amazing natural day parsing, so was surprised to find ‘last wed’ not working.

Hopefully something Apple improves in the future.