Table of contents

It would be nice to have an optional TOC generated dynamically at the beginning of a note with clickable links to get to the different headings.

No pressure :wink:

2 Likes

We donā€™t have that, but have you tried the jump menu at the to top? Just click on the project title at the top of the notes. It works like a TOC.

1 Like

I didnā€™t notice. Thank you for the tip. It is a great start to have a view of all the notes within a project.

Could we please have the same at note level then?

About my earlier request, the optional TOC could also be part of the PDF file (with clickable links).

Ooh! Nice!

But Note level toc would be excellent too - I asked about that refering to an ā€˜outlineā€™ of the note.

Out of interest, how long do your notes get? My notes tend to be a page or two at most, so a TOC is a bit overkill. If I have something longer, I tend to make it a project, splitting sections into notes.

1 Like

Some of my notes can be long (up to 10 pages for one exported in PDF).

Apart from the length, it helps to go straight to the section which needs to be updated instead of scrolling down its content. It saves time.

The TOC would be appreciated as optional both in Agenda and in generated PDF files.

When a project is exported in PDF, the TOC could include: note titles, note headings and sub-headings.

Itā€™s ā€˜screensā€™ that matter for me, not pages! After a about three screens, a toc/outline would be really useful.

In other applications I find toc / outline useful for:

1. navigating straight to the section I need for reference - especially relevant for draft documents that have a fixed format, like a proposal
  2. navigating around a note during an meeting or phone call. The Note will have various issues I need to discuss, but the conversation might jump around from topic to topic.

For me it woulde be important that the toc / outline is visible wherever I am in the Note, ie in the sidebar or floating etc, not at the top of the note and then disappearing as I scroll.

I know some folk suggest breaking longer documents into multiple notes. While this makes a lot of sense in some situations, it doesnā€™t for documents with a fairly standard format, or where you want to attach it to an event. (Only one note allowed per event). If there was a sub-project level, smaller notes would work - but would need to be able to link to sub-project. (Not arguing for deeper hierarchy; agnostic about that).

Sometimes there are reasons to have one note with a number of sections.

Agenda links (to call back from other apps) are very useful indeed, but can I raise a request for links to specific headings or sections?

That would be an Agenda link (x-callback-URL format with an additional ID or #section appended, to take you to the heading. Really powerful. An Evernote beater!

Not for me to say how easy or complex this would be to introduce, but the protocol exists and with the existing Agenda links, youā€™re 80% thereā€¦

We really discourage you to make very long notes, and instead encourage you to make a new note for each section, if needed creating a single project specifically for this ā€œmulti-noteā€ document.

Actually, since you fixed it, fairly long notes work very well in Agenda!

What you have suggested is what I call the ā€˜Evernote workaroundā€™ which is OK except in situations where you need one note and fast retrieval (Iā€™m thinking about when thereā€™s a need to pull in some additional references while teaching and speaking).

Naturally, I think Agenda can do a lot better than Evernote, especially with the latterā€™s glacial rate of development! And Evernote does not fully support x-callback-URL although the internal links can, with persistence, be made to work in a similar way. Iā€™m with Agendaā€¦

How do you suggest handling sections and sub sections for multi note document to reflect each sections?

I think instead of telling people to change the habit, I would say support the feature and let people use it the way they want.

You can always educate people on best practices or the system working out for you but assuming everyone use case and needs would be like the one suggested in this thread make Agenda very rigid and useable only in certain situations.

It does not make sense for customers to pay for multiple note taking apps and keep switching based on what kind of note it is. I would prefer to use a tool/software which covers most of my needs and if there are few cases which are not covered then is there any workaround.

I like the agenda app but it is beyond my understanding why you would allow heading, subheading etc but not provide TOC for the note.

Just my 2 cents and BTW Iā€™m paid member for the software.

I want to do that, but all writing to one note because there is no way to check the backlink of the project.

A temporary workaround, until we add project backlinking, might be to add a sort of title note in the project. Link to that note as ā€œthe projectā€. To get backlinks, you would have to select the note, which is not ideal, but perhaps better than nothing for now.

I am looking for this function! Is it available in the meantime?
If I can format text in a note and also assign headings, it would be great if each note then also had the ability to generate a table of contents.
Is this planned? That would be a very helpful addition to this such a great app.

Thereā€™s a table of contents of the notes within a project (revealed by tapping/clicking the title of the project at the top). What is not yet possible is the ability to collapse subsections of individual notes, this is something we are considering to make possible indeed.

Note though, we generally donā€™t recommend making extremely long notes (beyond say 1000-2000 words), itā€™s from a perspective of performance then better to split it into multiple notes.

1 Like