Syncing between desktop and iOS

Great solution. I had a similar problem and went through similar steps. Luckily, in addition to my iPad and iPhone, I had a second Mac.

1. Similarly, backed up everything from my main MacBook; including the WRBK2Z2EG7.group.com.momenta.agenda.macos directory from the Group Containers (in ~/Library).

2. I then disconnected the main MacBook from iCloud syncing.

3. On my iPhone, iPad, and MacMini I deleted and re-installed Agenda - and logged in to each app with iCloud syncing enabled.

4. At this point, my iPhone, iPad, and MacMini were all sync’ed via iCloud but with no projects. To test the sync, I created a project on each device to ensure it was picked up by the other two devices. All was good.

5. This step was the tedious bit. On my (main) MacBook, I would grab several projects at a go from the left-hand-side menu and export them as an Agenda file. I would then AirDrop this file to the MacMini and import in to Agenda. I would grab several, but not all, at once as I noticed that Agenda file exports did not include Category information - just a few projects at a time made it easier for me to manage the import process as some of my projects have same name but live in different categories, and I also use sub-categories. All the while I was checking that the imports were syncing nicely to the iPhone and iPad.

6. When this was all done, I quit Agenda on the (main) MacBook, I deleted WRBK2Z2EG7.group.com.momenta.agenda.macos (which was already backed up!), restarted Agenda and then turned iCloud syncing back on. All done!!

Some observations

• I’ve been using Agenda 2019 and suspect my data was clobbered. Pre-clean up it was 2GB; post-clean it’s 800MB
  • if a project is, or contains a note that is, Locked then it can’t be exported or have its order changed within a category or moved to a different category until it’s unlocked
  • Agenda file exports don’t include category (or sub-category) details
  • syncing with iCloud is really quick - I’d always thought syncing ‘sometime during the day’ was normal. Nope - very, very quick.

To the Agenda team - thank you! LOVE this app!

1 Like

Sorry you had to go through all that. Glad it did work out in the end.

We have seen iCloud itself have issues independent of Agenda over the years. Sometimes, if you simply sign out of iCloud on the device, and sign back in again, it clears the corrupted data on the device, and it all works OK again. It is certainly worth trying that if the sync seems really stuck (eg not syncing for many hours, even with the app in the foreground).

Cheers. I did try that, many, many times without success - before taking the nuclear option :grinning: