Support block codes

Thanks for being honest I appreciate that. However I don’t believe Agenda now fits with my professional needs. Perhaps in the future when those small things will be added I’ll reconsider.

Sure, fair enough, be sure to keep an eye on Agenda!

The ``` + space / return still not working for me

Ah, I just checked but the trick is not to let it follow by a space or return but directly by the content you want to escape.

It works a bit different to in a markdown editor. Usually you just have the three ticks at the start and end of the block, but in Agenda we don’t preserve the markdown, so it works more like a toggle. Type the ticks, enter a space, and then start typing your preformatted content (no return). It will change to preformatted.

Just adding another vote for code blocks. There’s a plugin that everyone uses that supports a ton of languages, that finally added Swift support.

Do you know which plugin it is?

I think it must be this one. I remember for a while they did not support Swift but they do now.

1 Like

Thanks Rob!

1 Like

+1 for code highlight :slight_smile: … At first, I won’t need anything fancy just a code block easier to spot. The preformated one is good but it still very difficult to spot on … Hope you can put it on your todo list. Really appreciate what you guys are doing.

2 Likes

Will be great to have a syntax highlight or a slight dark background for code block. +1

Agreed :slight_smile: +1 from my side

GitHub-style code fencing is the way to go! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really agree with all of this. In dark mode the differences are very hard to spot. And traditional code fencing would be awesome… it’s actually really important. Syntax highlighting would be a cherry on the top of those.

1 Like

Additionally, I would also appreciate a different markdown export result. The preformatted text is indented, but when using it for code, I expect the output to be in a code block, i.e. zusing three backticks.

I’ve been away from Agenda for a long time, so I’m pleasantly surprised at the improvements I see. I agree with those who request code fencing. The current code section looks barely noticeable to my shortsighted eyes.

1 Like

I am really liking Agenda to keep a work log as a developer. However pasting code snippets is still a poor experience. The triple ``` does not seems to work well and each line I paste open a new “paragraph” (I do not know how they are called, but lines are really spaced).

So this is a big +1 for improved code fencing. :slight_smile: I think Dropbox Paper and Ulysses do a wonderful job with code fencing. It may be an inspiration for the Agenda.

2 Likes

I think the tools you mention are markdown editors. That means they preserve the back ticks in their text. Agenda is not a markdown editor, though it does support some markdown shortcuts.

To use the back ticks, type 3 of them, and a space. You should now be in preformatted text mode (you can also just set the paragraph style to preformatted). Now paste the code. It should work. If it doesn’t, try it using the Edit > Paste and Match Style.

True code blocks are also coming, but I am a developer, and I use preformatted style for a lot of code.

Here’s the GFM spec :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth: I’m a coder and one of the first thing I tried was adding a code block to Agenda.

I like the ``` shortcut, but better code-fencing would be great

1 Like